Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Wow. It looks like Nora Ephron's next movie is going to be a remake of The Apartment, with Amy Adams in the Shirley MacLaine role:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9440/friedpc.jpg

Actually, that could have been much worse. Amy Adams would at least be good casting. It could have been Nora Ephron directing Miley Cyrus.

And, yes, I know there's been a resurgence in Ephron love since Julie & Julia, but IMO whatever real value that movie had was due to Streep. The way Ephron blew the final scene (I explained my meaning in an earlier post) shows me that she's still at heart the Nora of You've Got Mail, Lucky Numbers, Mixed Nuts, and (blecccchhhh!) Michael.
That would have been too obviously a joke, and my springe would have caught no woodcocks.

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo did not disappoint. After reading the two books that are available I was very satisfied to see the characters on the screen channeling the characters in print so well. Lisbeth Salander is someone you want to know more and more about, to protect, and to cheer on. Mikael Blomkvist was never as real to me and the movie made him so. Perfect! I kept waiting for the ending to drag on and on and for the movie to wear me out. It never did. The book was 600 pages and the last hundred were an anticlimax. I thought the movie dealt with those 100 pages nice and quickly.

My friend who had not read the book loved it.

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Fincher is filming a remake of it.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
befae -- i an enamored by your new avvy

i wish i knew how to take photos again

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Anyone seen "Chloe" ? I'd see most anything by Egoyan, and I'm partial to thrillers anyway. Someone mentioned at another NYT splinter website that Liam Neeson showed up for work on this right after his wife died, which sounds brave, given the plot outline I saw.
Befade
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wade........Thank you. It's a photo of Indian paintbrushes taken a year ago. They are out again now.

Knox......I'd like to see it but it hasn't opened here. I love Atom Egoyan.

Gary.......imbd says it will come out in 2012 which seems a long way off. I have no info about who will play the roles. I really doubt an American version is necessary.

The only problem I had with the Danish version was that I wanted to see every facial expression and didn't like having to take my eyes away to see the subtitles. Gary I think you would find it a very satisfying film.

One interesting thing about the book that wasn't portrayed in the movie. The Swedes are always eating sandwiches. I remember when the word smorgasbord was used by restaurants instead of buffet. (Now I don't know where you could go for a smorgasbord.) But anyway the idea of a smorgasbord is that you make a sandwich from an array of items......some not very appealing (to me) like cold reindeer and fish......

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It was always a smorgasbord where I'm from. The term buffet was reserved for restaurants or affairs that had buffets instead of sit down service. Our country club had a smorgasbord once a year and the food laid out was fantastic. Of course I always piled it on because I liked everything and never could finish all of it. The club had a top notch chef.

No one made sandwiches. Very Happy
Befade
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
But isn't the word dated? When was the last time you enjoyed a smorgasbord?

Finally an avatar.......and a nice one. How did you do that?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't easy. I've been trying all kinds of pictures and sites for many months now. I could never get them the right size or the right many other things. I finally found a site with some of my pictures that lets me crop it down to the right size. I had to cut out a lot of the picture and that's why my wife and I are way at the edges of the picture. I'll be trying to add pictures to the only site that lets me cut down on the pixel size. Glad you like it Betsy. I like your Indian brushes. I think I've seen them in another picture of yours.
Befade
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't suppose you and Marta were at a smorgasbord?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Nope, not a smorgasbord. Laughing
ehle64
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
you better have not been in the meat-packing district!

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
No, Wade. It wouldn't be the same there without you. Smile It was at a very good and now my favourite, restaurant in Medellin. The picture is from the first time I was there.
yambu
Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but the last seven posts here belong in the Lobby. Just a gentle reminder that we all need from time to time.

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone yet seen the animated The Secret of Kells? Oscar nominated. (Blanche, too?"). Produced by those who brought us Triplets of Belleville. One main voice by Brendan Gleeson, of In Bruges and Breakfast on Pluto.