Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

yambu
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
No way have these kids been exposed to Scarface. At least not if they have responsible parents. They look to be about 5 or 6 years old, way too young to watch a film glorifying brutal violence, drugs and sex, let alone understand what it all means.......
Those precocious little shits first oughtta get stoned FOR REAL, and then go fuck themselves, before their moms wash out their mouths with soap.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
I cannot imagine the c-word being heard in a benign, lighthearted way.

I can and I have used it in just such a way. Ask my old lady.

Well, gee. Thanks for giving that, oh, ten seconds of reflection before offering up a glib response.
Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Grace,

I went into great detail months ago, when this tired subject initially heated up the forums, as to why I both hate and love the word "cunt". I'm not going to repeat myself. As to my being "glib", that's your take. I was just trying to be succinct.

Required reading: Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Ingrid Muscio.

And when I suggested you ask my old lady, I meant it. She's a member of the forum and is fearless when it comes to discussing issues regarding sex, feminism, sexism, misogyny and virtually anything.
lshap
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Recognize the difference between someone who's pushing your buttons and someone who accidentally stumbles over them. I didn't see any intentional pushing of anything or anyone.

Anyone offended by a word should not expect their feelings questioned. Likewise, anyone who offends innocently should not expect their intent questioned. I can't understand how there could be bad karma lingering over this...
Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Lorne,

Ask me why I spend my leisure time on Facebook and not here and I'll answer that I enjoy the company of adults with fewer hangups. On Facebook, I am much more comfortable being myself. It's a fucking psychological minefield here. And there's actually much more film discussion on Facebook. My loyalty to Third Eye is unwavering, but I'm fed up with the signal to noise ratio in this joint.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
For those interested, The Room is playing on Cartoon Network right now. Just started.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Now wait, Marc, you're complaining about signal-to-noise here and you think Facebook is any better? You must not have gotten too many LOLcats and notifications of people becoming friends of the Manson Family.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
Wow. where to begin. probably shouldn't.

Marc - Hippie? -- whatevs , for you to even question why i'm not "HIP" with you anymore makes me laugh.. thanks, i needed that.

I'm back only because when i said i was leaving, no body wanted to take my place -- PLUS -- i will miss most of you.

so, LORNE -- get someone else to (basically do nothing) and take over as TEFS's movie bitch. or CUNT whichever you choose.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
lshap wrote:
No way have these kids been exposed to Scarface. At least not if they have responsible parents. They look to be about 5 or 6 years old, way too young to watch a film glorifying brutal violence, drugs and sex, let alone understand what it all means.......
Those precocious little shits first oughtta get stoned FOR REAL, and then go fuck themselves, before their moms wash out their mouths with soap.

Love it.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
when i said i was leaving, no body wanted to take my place

take your place doing what? Whining and insulting people?

I have no idea why I'm not "hip" with you. And, at this point, I don't care. I'm not following you as you disappear up your own rabbit hole.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Lorne,

Thanks for your post on the "cunt" debate. I never understood it either. It's good to know from Whiskey that is wasn't singularly what caused Lady to take a leave of absence. I'm pretty sure I influenced that choice, too (in speaking strongly against a change in format around here).

I've read things here, and at the Times previously, that I've taken as personally offensive. I've said so. And not always with my famed good grace. Smile But I haven't left. To me, everything has to be taken in perspective. When I look that the people here, even the people I have problems with, I find their strengths outweigh whatever I perceive as their weaknesses. The balance is overwhelmingly on the credit side.

-Topher
yambu
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Wow. where to begin. probably shouldn't.

Marc - Hippie? -- whatevs , for you to even question why i'm not "HIP" with you anymore makes me laugh.. thanks, i needed that.

I'm back only because when i said i was leaving, no body wanted to take my place -- PLUS -- i will miss most of you.

so, LORNE -- get someone else to (basically do nothing) and take over as TEFS's movie bitch. or CUNT whichever you choose.
Drunk.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
yambu -- HOW f'n rude -- & for now and always? PISS OFF.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
yambu -- HOW f'n rude -- & for now and always? PISS OFF.

ahh, the voice of our moderator.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
For those interested, The Room is playing on Cartoon Network right now. Just started.

This is a funny idea. 'Course, since I own The Room, there was no need for me to watch.