Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
That Burke broad doesn't seem like someone who is easy to work with.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
I don't understand what people are talking about re Forest Whitaker's weight loss. He undoubtedly lost the weight because he was too fat. James Cameron's wife, on the other hand...

As Elayne Boosler unkindly but hilariously put it, she looked like Clint Eastwood.
lshap
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Whitaker didn't appear slimmed down in a robust way. He looked and sounded ragged. Again, I hate starting this kind of gossipy thread (though I can actually blame Melody!) and I'll be happy to be totally wrong.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Earl wrote:
I heard a lot of "And the winner is..." instead of "And the Oscar goes to..." last night. Did AMPAS revert to the old way of doing it or did some presenters simply forget?
They reverted. They were all supposed to say "And the winner is...." It's the ones who said "And the Oscar goes to...." who forgot.

I missed the middle part of the show. Thought the opening was OK. Liked in particular the Hurt Locker win for screenplay, because it put me over the top in both Out Guess Ebert and outguessing Michael Phillips. (It was the only award I picked differently than either). Hope I win something.

Loved Bullock. Hard to begrudge her even if I doubt she "deserved" the win. Loved her dress. Loved the way The Dude rambled. Did not like Streisand, over did the woman thing and if I heard correctly said something like "let me hold it" to Bigelow. Eeep.

The series of tunes we call the web was buzzing about Farrah Fawcett not being in the memorial tribute, but I also read they omitted Henry Gibson. That would suck if true.

Yea billy. I only get mentioned in the newspaper of record in my dreams.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
gromit wrote:
I don't know who Amanda Seyfried is, but the front of her dress looked like a washboard.

I know her mostly as the daughter getting married in Mamma Mia!

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I want Robert Downey Jr. to host next year.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
According to zimbio.com, whatever that is, Forest Whitaker says he started losing weight in 2006 for The Shield and apparently has kept with it. I haven't seen him in a while, so it was rather shocking to see him newly thin. Not my intention to wallow in rumor-mongering; I was just worried. My favorite role of his is Jarmusch's Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

Trish
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
This had to be one of the most dull Oscar ceremonies. Happy for Kathryn Bigelow - but not really any surprises or any fabulous jokes and ugh Neil Patrick Harris' song and dance number that started the show

Even though they cut out the Honorary Oscar sections (were held on a another date - which bites for those reipients - Lauren Bacall, Roger Corman) it was still so damn longgggggg. Why the dance numbers??? I would have rather heard the original songs being performed by the artists
Trish
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Billy Crystal needs to come back as host - he was the best PERIOD!!
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Forest Whitaker says he started losing weight in 2006 for The Shield and apparently has kept with it.

I saw him on The Shield and got over my shock at that time. He looked sensational. Agree he didn't look quite as hot last night. On The Shield, his character had a scene with the ex-wife he hadn't seen in a long time, and she said, "I hardly recognized you you've lost so much weight." That must have been an in-joke for everyone.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch the Oscars (never do) but others are referring to his voice as sounding odd as well. Did you notice something like that?

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing. Baldwin and Martin appeared decidedly uncomfortable, especially at the beginning. Their, "Look, there's so and so!" [clap clap] was downright embarrassing. It was almost the entirety of their opening monologue! It was as if they didn't care. True they loosened up as the night went on but by this point it was too late.

Some past hosts had the ability to make the viewer feel as if they were apart of the festivities. That takes some special skills and good writers. Crystal and Stewart certainly had it. Even Hugh Jackman achieved it.

I don't know. Baldwin and Martin were the third or fourth people asked to host. Could this have effected their performance? Or is it just that if your a duo, you've got to have a natural charisma with each other? Both men seemed to be trying to grab moments from each other, rather than entertain. This was a bad idea from the get go.

Billy - Thanks for finding the article on that woman who hi-jacked the speech. Was that ever confusing. And kudos to the real winner for his grace under pressure.
Befade
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to accept that Avatar is a towering cinematic achievement with some genuinely iconic moments. I think it would be a shame if the academy failed to recognise this with at least one of the big two awards.

This was one of the few surprises of the evening for me. I'd like to know what was behind it. Is Cameron unpopular with voters? Popularity seemed to be an issue in the choice of Bridges and Bullock. Did they decide that since he got all the box office money he didn't need any awards?

Mystified by foreign win. I guess the French decided A Prophet was better than Seraphine......but Seraphine is really a must-see. Last year I really liked Departures. Thought it was very unique in a foreign kind of way.

Steve Martin came across nasty. Alec bland.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I was not surprised at all that Avatar didn't win any of the major awards, though Cinematography is a major as far as I'm concerned. I haven't seen the movie but from what I gather, it is a spectacle of huge proportions but not very deep in the story line department which seems like an important part for a best picture award. Not having seen it, I could be wrong, of course.

Betsy, unique is unique, there is no very about it. Very Happy Now don't get mad at me.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, Marantz feels the same way about "very unique" that my mother does. Nobody dares say those two words together in her house.

I caught the last few minutes of "Brigadoon" today on TCM and thought, Hey, "Avatar" in Scotland with music. (Hope that's not a spoiler...)