Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I like Close Encounters quite a bit. For the record, going to see Avatar is not something I have any real interest in, except as some sort of sullen duty to see the Next Big Thing in movie technology.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
For the record, going to see Avatar is not something I have any real interest in, except as some sort of sullen duty to see the Next Big Thing in movie technology.

Sums up my feelings perfectly.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Guys, get over it, go see Avatar. You're film buffs. This a major cinematic event beyond the hype. It's THE MOVIES!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that a bit like telling cinephiles in the early 50's that they had to see The Robe? Or House of Wax? I expect to see a great new process. But I'm not an action flick kinda guy or a Dances with Wolves kind a guy, so why should I be that excited about it?

-Topher
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
AVATAR is a western on acid. Trippy visuals, thrilling action scenes and deeply immersive 3D, result in a wildly entertaining experience. Yeah, the dialogue and story are cliche-ridden, but everything else about AVATAR is spectacular. As visually ravishing as anything you've even seen, this a movie that will change movies.

Pretty much my take on AVATAR, too. I really liked it, but will go into more detail in another post. But overall, I liked just about everything about it.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Yes, the dialogue is sometimes cheesy and the plot is rather unoriginal. I don't really care. This is not a movie about dialogue and plotting. It is visually so rich that all complaints seem trivial.

Your comment about about the plot being unoriginal was something that stood out for me.

AVATAR was Titanic with a different setting and characters. Granted, the characters and cinematic awe in AVATAR were incredible, but story wise, it's the same story Cameron has told before.

Back when Titanic came out, I waited a year before seeing it (it was still in theaters) and thought it was a good movie, but the story wasn't anything new.

But like Titanic, this is a movie to see on the big screen. The special effects and the characters are worth it alone.

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Isn't that a bit like telling cinephiles in the early 50's that they had to see The Robe? Or House of Wax?

No, no, no. It is nothing like that. Avatar is a beautiful love story and an involving adventure, quite apart from the technology. The Robe was dull and cheesy. House of Wax was fun but cheesy. Avatar is verrrrry slightly cheesy in its plot, but nowhere near that in any other respect. It's a great movie.
Syd
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Joe Vitus wrote:
Isn't that a bit like telling cinephiles in the early 50's that they had to see The Robe? Or House of Wax? I expect to see a great new process. But I'm not an action flick kinda guy or a Dances with Wolves kind a guy, so why should I be that excited about it?

For the same reason you should have been excited to see The Jazz Singer if you'd lived in the 1920s. Although, given the amount of money Cameron spent making the film, above and beyond developing new technology, I don't see this level of 3-D being done for more than a few films a year.

On the plus side, they can now most definitely do A Princess of Mars.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isn't that a bit like telling cinephiles in the early 50's that they had to see The Robe? Or House of Wax?

Joe, a cinephile from the 50s hurled into the future and seeing Avatar would probably have a heart attack.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Not really an answer to the question. Not sure Syd's Jazz Singer comparison is apt, either, since I don't expect most movies to be shot in a similar process.

But the real issue is that I just don't care. About the process, about the movie. Nothing anyone has said has made me think it's a movie I'd like to see.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Not really an answer to the question. Not sure Syd's Jazz Singer comparison is apt, either, since I don't expect most movies to be shot in a similar process.

But the real issue is that I just don't care. About the process, about the movie. Nothing anyone has said has made me think it's a movie I'd like to see.

Then my advice is to save your money. It's expensive to see it in IMAX, which is the only way to go.
Marc
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote

Your loss.
Marc
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not really an answer to the question.

The question wasn't all that compelling. I would have gone to see The Robe at the time. I did see House Of Wax as part of a 3d fest at the Film Forum back in the 80s. So, yes, as a film buff, I go to see movies that are events - Psycho, Cinerama, Easy Rider, 2001, Close Encounters, Alien, Titanic. I love movies.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
Not really an answer to the question.

The question wasn't all that compelling. I would have gone to see The Robe at the time. I did see House Of Wax as part of a 3d fest at the Film Forum back in the 80s. So, yes, as a film buff, I go to see movies that are events - Psycho, Cinerama, Easy Rider, 2001, Close Encounters, Alien, Titanic. I love movies.

Same here. I saw 'em all, and in the first week (or few months, with Cinerama; I was about ten at the time).
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I love movies too, but only movies that I enjoy watching. I mdon't go to movies that I'm pretty sure I won't like unless I read some review that I respect that makes it sound better than I've been lead to believe. I don't see movies where the subject matter has no interest for me, regardless of it's quality.

I saw all those movies you mentioned Marc, except Titanic.