Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Marc
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Stephen Lang is going to be on CNN tonight to discuss whether or not Avatar is anti-American. This I want to see.
Syd
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
It's anti-Earthling.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Stephen Lang is going to be on CNN tonight to discuss whether or not Avatar is anti-American. This I want to see.

Is Avatar anti-American?

No.

This has been another edition of easy answers to easy questions.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Is Avatar anti-American?

Avatar is clearly critical of American military policy when it comes to Native Americans, Vietnam, Iraq. The aliens who attack Pandora with the intent of decimating in order to claim it's bounty are AMERICANS. And they are depicted as evil murdering thugs. Of course, there are a handful of good guys in the film who are Americans. But, overall the message of the film is a straight up condemnation of American militarism and corporate greed.

Last edited by Marc on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
McBain
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Is Avatar anti-American?

Avatar is clearly critical of American military policy when it comes to Native Americans, Vietnam, Iraq. The aliens who attack Pandora with the intent of decimating in order to claim it's bounty are AMERICANS. And they are depicted as evil murdering thugs. Of course, there are a handful of good guys in the film who are Americans. But, overall the message of the film is a straight up condemnation of American militarism and corporate greed.

Criticism of American policy/history through art/speech doesn't get more American.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Criticism of American policy/history through art/speech doesn't get more American.

Al, you're absolutely right. Being anti-American when America is wrong is being truly American.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
I usually like alien movies where the aliens are the real bad guys. That's why I was turned off by Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I hate touchy-feely aliens. Laughing H. G. Wells had the right idea.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I usually like alien movies where the aliens are the real bad guys. That's why I was turned off by Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I hate touchy-feely aliens. Laughing H. G. Wells had the right idea.

It's not as clear-cut in Avatar. Don't be fooled by the plot descriptions. You would be silly to miss this one.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
I don't plan to miss Avatar. It's not like I avoid movies with good aliens, it's just when they get sappy that I get turned off. Mars Attacks was a wonderful critique of those kind of films. I certainly didn't hate CEotTK. A lot of the visuals were impressive, but it is certainly not high on my Sci Fi list.

District 9, had bad earthlings and admirable aliens and it was terrific.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I don't plan to miss Avatar. It's not like I avoid movies with good aliens, it's just when they get sappy that I get turned off. Mars Attacks was a wonderful critique of those kind of films. I certainly didn't hate CEotTK. A lot of the visuals were impressive, but it is certainly not high on my Sci Fi list.

District 9, had bad earthlings and admirable aliens and it was terrific.

There are individual scenes in Close Encounters that I think are brilliant, but the thing as a whole turned me off, for the reasons you've cited. And because it seemed ten hours long. Avatar is perhaps even longer than CEofTK, but flies by. Must admit Cameron is some kind of genius.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are individual scenes in Close Encounters that I think are brilliant...

Yeah, that's why I didn't hate it, but it could have been really good. Disappointing. It did seem to go on and on.

The scientists and others who were working on the UFO case were, to a man (and woman if we include the woman that Dreyfus hooks up with). were no one I would want to spend five minutes with. Even Truffaut, who plays the same kind of character....agog in wonderment. Smile
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Quote:
There are individual scenes in Close Encounters that I think are brilliant...

Yeah, that's why I didn't hate it, but it could have been really good. Disappointing. It did seem to go on and on.

The scientists and others who were working on the UFO case were, to a man (and woman if we include the woman that Dreyfus hooks up with). were no one I would want to spend five minutes with. Even Truffaut, who plays the same kind of character....agog in wonderment. Smile

Couldn't agree more.

Funny that--since you like mean, nasty aliens--you didn't like Signs. Guess you don't like stupid aliens either. I love them.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Didn't like the silly humans and not enough aliens.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
I liked without loving Close Encounters. I'll see Avatar on the recommendation of everyone here, but I've not interest in it.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen "Avatar" yet, but it sounds like the humans are the "bad aliens" involved. Which makes me even more interested in seeing it.

I liked "Close Encounters," but then I like anything with Richard Dreyfuss.