Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  FILMS I HATE

Marc
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

you have such a bug up your ass about adultery I doubt you could ever like a movie with that as it's subject.

Adultery is great material for movies and books. It touches on primal emotions. It creates drama. Lots of drama.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
And the scene where Diane Lane returns home on the train after having her affair, the camera lingering on her face, is some of the best acting I've seen.

This scene should have won Lane the Oscar that year. But, as so often with the Oscars, no. Nicole Kidman's putty nose took home the trophy.
grace
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
n/m
Befade
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd love to hear what you hated about that great show.

Billy.......I don't have a great memory for details....But I saw it at the Schubert theatre which was to me an unpleasant venue.....too big, too wedged-in seating.....and throughout I was aware I was uncomfortable. I guess I thought the premise was dumb: young people coming to New York to "make it" in the theatre. The audition format bored me. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say. You and I may have very different sensibilities toward musical.......I love Carousel and the other R & H musicals. Have only seen a performance of South Pacific by high school students (I love what they can do). I also loved live performances in NYC of Miss Saigon and The Phantom of the Opera.

We do agree on Unfaithful and Diane Lane. I loved Borat.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Billy,

these negative reviews, such as yours of Carousel, are arousing a perverse desire in me to see them. I think I like watching bad bad movies sometimes better than watching good ones.

I have to see so many movies and now, after reading some of the hateful reviews, I'm so curious about them. I better re-queue my queue (and hope to live till I'm 120, I need the time.)

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I know Mirgun........I just queued up Bruno.

I HATED Old School with Will Ferrell and all the other dumb movies he was in that I didn't go to. (one exception: Melinda and Melinda)

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Befade wrote:

I HATED Old School with Will Ferrell and all the other dumb movies he was in that I didn't go to. (one exception: Melinda and Melinda)

I hope you didn't skip Stranger than Fiction, which is anything but dumb.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Quote:

Billy.......I don't have a great memory for details....But I saw it at the Schubert theatre which was to me an unpleasant venue.....too big, too wedged-in seating.....and throughout I was aware I was uncomfortable. I guess I thought the premise was dumb: young people coming to New York to "make it" in the theatre. The audition format bored me. I'm sorry I don't know what else to say. You and I may have very different sensibilities toward musical.......I love Carousel and the other R & H musicals. Have only seen a performance of South Pacific by high school students (I love what they can do). I also loved live performances in NYC of Miss Saigon and The Phantom of the Opera.

Betsy--I adore the musical Carousel, which is a large part of why I lioathed, hated, abominated the horrible movie version. A Chorus Line on stage is one of my favorite shows of all time; I saw it downtpwn and then later at the Shubert. I hatehatehate Phantom of the Opera and avoided Miss Saigon on purpose because I hated Cats and only minimally tolerated Les Miz. Yes, I guess we have different sensibilities about musicals.

But Unfaithful, yes.
Marc
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I have seen three musicals on Broadway. "42nd St." back in the late 70s.
"The Lion King" the week it opened.The new revival of "Hair". Loved the first two, hated "Hair".
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I saw Evita on Broadway in the early 80's. I have no memory of it at all, really. I had other priorities that particular trip.

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Just thinking... I really found Peter Sellers in The Party pretty wince-inducing. It seemed like it missed the point it was trying to make (about the shallowness of Hollywood) and instead fell back on the "exotic foreigner" schtick - and I found it hard to buy Sellers as Indian.

Maybe it's dated (although I saw it about ten years ago). Maybe it's more Blake Edwards - I wouldn't peg him as an improv kind of director. I guess I'll never know, because I'm not going to watch it again.

If Sacha Baron Cohen does a remake, he might be able to pull it off (since it *is* mostly improv); but he'll have his work cut out for him. Then again, Robin Williams is excellent at improv, but never really pulled it off well on the big screen.

According to imdb, The Party owes a lot to Jacques Tati. I love Jacques Tati, I really like Peter Sellers, and I'm good with Blake Edwards, but - The Party? Noooooooo.

mirgun
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Befade"]I know Mirgun........I just queued up Bruno.

well, Cruising is on Netflix instant play.. I'm curious as to how horrible it is...

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I have been posting my "movies I hate" reviews on Facebook and getting some interesting feedback. Lot of people hate movies I really like. You folks on Facebook, check it out. I am hoping to lure a few more folks to our site.
Marj
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:

I'll be curious to see what you think, Betsy and Mirgun, as I just saw it yesterday. So, until you've seen it, I'll keep my thoughts to myself. But based on your exchange, I think "how horrible it is"a matter of degrees.
Marj
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Befade wrote:
Quote:

Betsy--I adore the musical Carousel, which is a large part of why I lioathed, hated, abominated the horrible movie version. A Chorus Line on stage is one of my favorite shows of all time; I saw it downtpwn and then later at the Shubert. I hatehatehate Phantom of the Opera and avoided Miss Saigon on purpose because I hated Cats and only minimally tolerated Les Miz. Yes, I guess we have different sensibilities about musicals.

But Unfaithful, yes.
YES to Unfaithful. A wonderful film.

Betsy's post about A Chorus Line makes me wonder whether one needs to be at last somewhat familiar with the auditioning process in order to appreciate this show.

Growing up and living in and around the city, I've always known what it takes. Yet, this show more than any I've ever seen, gets it so right. And those who know its history, know most of the numbers evolved from real stories. It makes me wonder ...