Marc
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Star Wars.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Marc wrote:
Star Wars.
I'm about 5/6 of the way there with you. Though "hate" is to strong a word.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
BOONDOCK SAINTS.
Marc
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
The Doors. Wish me luck. I'm goin' in.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ben Hur gets my vote of course. I didn't hate the movie but thought it was just lousy. Heston of unbelievably bad, even for him. The whole thing stunk, dialogue, storyline, acting, directing, everything. When I told a friend of mine that I didn't like it (this was when it was current) he asked me what I didn't like about it. My answer was "Everything." And then it won, what? ten Oscars and Heston best actor? That's when I had reason to hate it.
Syd
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marc wrote:
BOONDOCK SAINTS.

I could theoretically drive 40 miles to see Boondock Saints II, but I think I'll take your word for it.

Or Ebert's word"Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day is an idiotic ode to macho horseshite (to employ an ancient Irish word)."

About the first one:

Quote:
It's such a legendary film, a documentary was even made about it.

No, not one of those "the making of" jobs. One made by two of Duffy's former pals who got pissed off during the filming. They show him as a possibly alcoholic egomaniac. You know you're in trouble when your movie scores 16 percent on the Tomatometer, and the documentary about it scores 79 percent.

Last edited by Syd on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about this, Billy. But on the top of my list is The Room. This ought to be required viewing, especially for this forum.
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
The first time I saw Victor, Victoria, I thought it was entertaining in a popcorn feel-good-about-life sort of way.

The sixth time I saw it - it's kind of a PBS staple - I swore to throw the tv out the window if it were ever on again.

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
LOL about The Room. Word on Ben-Hur. The Greatest Show on Earth? Yeah, that's just too corny a movie to make my list. I'm talking A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, Mrs. Miniver, Around the World in 80 Days, Lord of the Rings--now there's one for this forum!!! One of the only movies I've ever walked out on.

A movie that made me want to bathe after seeing it was Baby Geniuses. It's truly horrible. Kathleen Turner plays a scientist who turns newborns into brain trusts. Then there are two separate movies called Jack Frost which are both incredibly bad. One is a Michael Keaton monstrosity where he turns into a snowman after he dies. The other is a Christmas horror movie where Christmas ornaments, among other things, are used to kill people. Lovely. Then there's Halloween III, where an evil genius sets out to kill all the children in the world by means of yucky bugs. Yecch.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Syd--Couldn't disagree more about Marty. Saw it recently for the first time since the 50s. Borgnine gives a great performance, and Betsy Blair matches him. I expected to hate it after all these years, but instead I liked it much more than I had when it was first released.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
BOONDOCK SAINTS.

Have you seen the documentary about the director of this horror? Titled Overnight, it's about a man who almost literally shoots himself in the foot, ruining his big chance through narcissism, alcohol and drugs, and just plain being a first-class asshole.
Syd
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
Syd--Couldn't disagree more about Marty. Saw it recently for the first time since the 50s. Borgnine gives a great performance, and Betsy Blair matches him. I expected to hate it after all these years, but instead I liked it much more than I had when it was first released.

I found the dialogue to be grating, and Marty is a blowhard.

From Netflix, movies like The Room: Adaptation, Buffalo '66, Don't Ask Don't Tell, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Anchorman, Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV, Jackass: The Movie, Napoleon Dynamite, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Team America: World Police. Also, from the "watch instantly" file, Wendy and Lucy and This is England.

"Citizen Toxie"?!?

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked A Beautiful Mind a lot and thought Gladiator was excellent. What did you hate so much about these two? You have something against Crowe (is that how it is spelled?)

I just told Marta Luz about our new forum and said she should try to remember movies she hated. She said she'd have to think about that. I asked if she ever walked out of a movie. She said, "A lot of them."
"Well that's a good start."
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Syd: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Also, from the "watch instantly" file, Wendy and Lucy.

Me: Word, word, word.

Are you aware that I am in Citizen Toxie? No argument about the movie, just wondering.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I liked A Beautiful Mind a lot and thought Gladiator was excellent. What did you hate so much about these two? You have something against Crowe (is that how it is spelled?)

That is the correct spelling, but I happen to admire Crowe in certain movies--very much. LA Confidential, The Insider, Romper Stomper, even State of Play. But in Gladiator I found him deadly dull and in A Beautiful Mind over the top and dull. But mainly, I thought both movies were lousily directed.