Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Anything about 70s and 80s films would suit me. Those were the decades when I was working for the film class, and there weren't many movies I missed. (Many I wished I had, but still...)
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm into all of Marc's ideas. Pick one and let's get it on!
ehle64
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll open it up when you guys get the topic and host in line.
Whenever the host is ready with the opening post -- lemme know in a PM -- and I'll get to it asap. I have no time to host this month, nor care which topic is chosen, so it's up 2 U. My peers.
Marc
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Pick one:

MOVIES THAT CHANGED MY LIFE

GUILTY PLEASURES

FILMS I HATE
lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Hate. I'm all about the hate.

(although I can't think of out and out hate right now. but give me some time and I will.)

Marc
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Let's do it. I think it would be fun. FILMS I HATE.
Marj
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm open to anything. But I don't get the point of doing Films I Hate. Could someone please explain the idea behind it?
Marc
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

There must be movies that have made you feel unclean, violated, disgusted, appalled after viewing them. I can think of a few right off the top of my head:

8MM, BAD BOYS 2, PATCH ADAMS, BALLAD OF THE GREEN BERETS, DEATH WISH 4.

Sometimes writing about films you dislike is more fun than writing about films you love. This will be a great opportunity for you to relieve stress, spew, vent and feel superior. Think of it as therapy.
Syd
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
You saw Patch Adams? I couldn't make it through the trailer.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Okey Doke! I certainly could use it. Thanks Marc.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That's the topic I would have chosen first. Yes!!!
Earl
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:

We should have a forum on films of the Aughts.

In addition to the other forum ideas Marc listed, all of which I like, I hope we eventually do this one. In fact, I'd love to see it done in the style of the Blanches.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Life is Beautiful is a film I hate so much that I refuse to see it. I understand that the premise is a man who is able to shield his young boy from the immediate horrors of where they are - a concentration camp - and to make a phony game contest of their predicament.
This spits in the face of history. Life there was so totally horrific for everyone all the time, that it belies this film's cynical manipulations.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
I sent a message to WADE asking him to create the FILMS I HATE forum.

I think this is going to be fun. I'm actually looking forward to re-seeing some loathsome films. There's a certain perverse thrill to the whole idea.
gromit
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
Life is Beautiful is a film I hate so much that I refuse to see it. I understand that the premise is a man who is able to shield his young boy from the immediate horrors of where they are - a concentration camp - and to make a phony game contest of their predicament.
This spits in the face of history. Life there was so totally horrific for everyone all the time, that it belies this film's cynical manipulations.

History is full of undeserved face spitting.
So sorry to curtail your participation in the Hate Forum, but Life is Beautiful just happens to based on a true story which occurred at Buchenwald.

I really liked Life is Beautiful, especially the contrast between the charming romantic comedy of the first half followed by the concentration camp second half. I haven't cared for Benigni in anything else.

I'd rec you give it a go. Afterward you can watch a harsher, more realistic, version --Naked Among Wolves (1963) -- the first East German film about the holocaust, based on the book of the same name. No question that Benigni and Speilberg (Schindler's List) were familiar with this film. Naked Among Wolves is a very good interesting film. The director, Frank Beyer, also made the original Jakob the Liar.

Here's a bit of info from IMDb on the factual story:
Quote:
- Bruno Apitz was inspired by the story of the child's survival to work his own experiences in Buchenwald (were he was a prisoner from 1937 - 1945) into a movie script. When his expose was turned down by the DEFA he decided to write a novel instead. The novel was enormously successful (it sold 2 million copies and was translated into many languages), prompting the DEFA to reconsider.

- As the movie reached a large audience, it caused the real "child of Buchenwald", Stefan Jerzy Zweig, who survived the camp as a four-year-old, and was now living in Tel Aviv, to become aware of the novel and the film based on his experience. He came to East Germany and studied Camera at the film academy in Babelsberg.

Here's a good succinct review of Naked Among Wolves: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/nakedamongwolves.php
And a more detailed one: http://www.screenfanatic.com/naked-among-wolves-film-review/