Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote
Of course teenage boys were in the audience. That's where the teenage girls were. Smile
gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Speaking of blood and chicks, has there been any talk of Julie Delpy's The Countess?
I really liked her 2 Days in Paris, but this seems more in the Twilight mode, and out of my wheelhouse. I'll probably give it a try since it seems right for the nieces in any case.
Thoughts?

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
gromit wrote:
Speaking of blood and chicks, has there been any talk of Julie Delpy's The Countess?

I heard a mention of it somewhere a few months back, but it sounds waaaaay too kinky for teenagers... %^o

lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
From wikipedia

Quote:
Countess Elizabeth Báthory (Báthory Erzsébet in Hungarian, Alžbeta Bátoriová in Slovak, Alžběta Báthoryová in Czech, Elżbieta Batory in Polish, August 7, 1560 – August 21, 1614) was a countess from the renowned Báthory family. She is possibly the most prolific female serial killer in history and is remembered as the "Blood Countess" and as the "Bloody Lady of Čachtice", after the castle near Trencsén in the Kingdom of Hungary, (today's Slovakia), where she spent most of her adult life.

After her husband's death, she and four collaborators were accused of torturing and killing hundreds of girls and young women, with one witness attributing to them over 600 victims, though the number for which she was convicted was 80.[1] In 1610, she was imprisoned in the Csejte Castle, where she remained bricked in a set of rooms until her death four years later.

The case has led to legendary accounts of the Countess bathing in the blood of virgins in order to retain her youth and subsequently also to comparisons with Vlad III the Impaler of Wallachia, on whom the fictional Count Dracula is partly based, and to modern nicknames of the Blood Countess and Countess Dracula.

I think the movie is about the bathing in the blood bit.

...Unless your nieces are already delinquents, in which case it's probably okay.

gromit
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
Oh, THAT Countess.
I think there was another movie about her.
Borowczyk maybe?

I thought it was more a Gothic/horror thing, not a serial killer of yore film. Guess I'll stick to Twilight and probably pick up Marie Antoinette.

I was just watching The Sniper last night, an early serial killer flick, and the police psychologist references Albert Fish, which is pretty hardcore for the 1950's. Fish was a turn of the century serial killer who killed small children in order to eat them (he favored chubby asses roasted), and preyed upon retarded and black expecting their disappearance would attract less fuss.

The Sniper is quite interesting, as it takes a boy next door type, who is compelled to do bad, but really wants to get help. So, basically we actually kind-of sympathize with the sniper. Ballsy ish for 1952.

Dmytryk does a nice job, especially the first killing, which made me jump even though you know it's coming. Very effective staging on that hit. Really worth seeing, as it lays the groundwork for so many other serial killer films to come. The Anhalts who wrote the screenplay also penned Panic in the Streets, a gritty film I always thought was underappreciated.

Okay, I've probably crossed well into the wrong forum by now. So shoot me.

Last edited by gromit on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
Of course teenage boys were in the audience. That's where the teenage girls were. Smile
They're just there for the post date hand job paybacks.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:
They're just there for the post date hand job paybacks.

Which certainly doesn't work with AntiChrist.

Found what I was thinking of:
Contes immoraux (1974) aka Immoral Tales by Boroczyk. One of the 4 short films involves a bloodbath and getting walled in for not getting permission slips signed in advance.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Antichrist, someone posted the lyrics to the song playing over the first scene:

That ol' song goes like this wrote:
Lascia ch'io pianga (Let me weep)

Let me weep over
my cruel fate,
And that I long for freedom!
And that I long,
and that I long for freedom!

Let me weep over
my cruel fate,

The duel infringes
these images
of my sufferings
I pray for mercy.
for my sufferances.
I pray for mercy.

Let me weep over
my cruel fate,
And that I long,
and that I long for freedom!

Let me weep over
my cruel fate,

which first makes me a little happy that my take seems to be getting confirmation (that happens pretty rarely), then makes me sad that I seem to think like Lars von Trier. %^<

ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
There are worse people to think like!
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I really liked her 2 Days in Paris, but this seems more in the Twilight mode, and out of my wheelhouse. I'll probably give it a try since it seems right for the nieces in any case.
Thoughts?

Just got a download of The Countess and will be watching it soon. Everything in it is by Delpy, same as 2 Days in Paris. She is prodigiously talented, and extraordinarily versatile. Apparently she plays a really unsympathetic character in this one, which for her must be a terrific stretch.
Trish
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:
Thoughts?

Just got a download of The Countess and will be watching it soon. Everything in it is by Delpy, same as 2 Days in Paris. She is prodigiously talented, and extraordinarily versatile. Apparently she plays a really unsympathetic character in this one, which for her must be a terrific stretch.

is The Countess on netflix now - I didn't think it came out in the theatres yet.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:
Thoughts?

is The Countess on netflix now - I didn't think it came out in the theatres yet.

Not on Netflix; a friend of mine got a download from somewhere.
Marc
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
FANTASTIC MR. FOX is exactly that, fantastic!
Kate
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
Marc wrote:
FANTASTIC MR. FOX is exactly that, fantastic!

I completely agree. My daughter and I saw it last night and found it to be very funny, quirky, and thoroughly enjoyable. We were the only ones in the theater.
Syd
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Old Dogs, on the other hand, is getting some of the worst reviews of the year, as I would expect from a movie with both Robin Williams and John Travolta. I couldn't stand watching the trailer.

It looks like my movies will be "The Invention of Lying" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" unless I get in a mood to be depressed and see "Precious."