Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
I suspect no one here watches Dexter, but last night's episode had more shock value than most television episodes ever do. No blood, no gore, no killing, just twists and turns and great acting by John Lithgow et al.
lissa
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
I love Dexter! I'm just not caught up yet...

Not surprised, though...this show continues to push limits and boundaries and I love the risks they take.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
Dexter has been a Don't Miss show virtually since it premiered. Posted on the season finale in another forum. Had voiced my suspicions about this year's likeliest outcome (to skeptical intimates with whom I watch it) roughly midway through the season, all the while not really believing that it would go there. Oh. My. God. It went there. Splendid performances all around, particularly The Lithgow and a never-more-riveting Michael C. Hall. Can't wait to see how the escalating complications, to say nothing of the staggering final shocker, rejigger the stakes for next season.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
They had promoted that last episode as the most surprising thing in the world since God's "let there be light." And they delivered. Whew, wow, whillikers. It's gonna take some time.

Not only did they deliver on the surprise, but I suspect they have defused the skeptics about the show's future. It now has the potential to be...dare I say it?...better than ever.
Trish
Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Thought Claire Danes was really excellent in Temple Grandin - I see an emmy, gg, sag in her future (if they don't forget her by then)
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
I second that comment on Temple Grandin. If HBO is really smart--and they may be smart enough to do this--they will slowly movie Temple Grandin into theatrical release and promote Claire Danes for next year's Best Actress Oscar. My suspicion is that she'd be hard to beat. There are also possible nods for Julia Ormond and Catherine O'Hara, as the mother and aunt respectively. They are amazing supporting performances. The movie is way better than good. It's great.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
Oh. My. God. Temple Grandin is astonishing. I've been watching certain scenes over and over. It's on a par with the best movies of the past decade, and Claire Danes--never a favorite of mine--gives one of the finest film performances of my lifetime. She has leapt into greatness. There has never been a depiction of autism remotely as good as this one before.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
Just discovered this piece in the LATmes.

Kevin Lewin of World Entertainment News Network was so knocked out by viewing "Temple Grandin" that he wrote this piece for Gold Derby readers to warn them of major Emmy love ahead. In the TV film now airing on HBO, Claire Danes portrays a real-life autistic woman who became a leading scientist in humane livestock handling. Words below are Kev's:

Wow! And I mean WOW!!! Claire Danes had better hit the hardware store and pick up a good-sized wheelbarrow because she's going to clean up at all the TV awards ceremonies this year. All bets are off!

I can't remember the last time I was so moved by a performance in a TV movie and HBO's "Temple Grandin" just blew me away — so much so that I feel compelled to tell everyone in blogland that you HAVE to see this piece of magic. And who knew Ms. Danes was the new Streep? Maybe playing the great one's daughter in "The Hours" rubbed off.

Don't get me wrong, Danes isn't exactly terrible — I loved her in "Shopgirl" and a handful of other roles, but I raised an eyebrow when I first learned she'd be portraying the brilliant Temple G. I now feel I must publicly apologize to the new Mrs. (Hugh) Dancy for doubting her. I truly thought this role would be a tremendous reach for her.

Sorry, Claire.

Obviously, I'm not an expert on animal husbandry, autism or Temple Grandin for that matter, but I know when I'm watching something of great worth, and this HBO gem would have been an Oscar contender in many categories if it had been a cinema release. Kudos to HBO again.

From Mick Jackson's expert direction and the wonderful support of Julia Ormond, Catherine O'Hara and the always brilliant David Strathairn, this is a TV movie you have to see. Just breathtaking.

And, again, apologies to Ms. Danes. I will now be at the front of the line for anything you do. Enjoy the acclaim.

Me again. An Emmy is already a lock for Danes, but as I said above, if HBO is really smart, they'll move this into theatrical release and go for the Oscar.

inla--Is this a possibility? Can a cable movie be moved into Oscar contention after being shown on premium television?
Syd
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
I second that comment on Temple Grandin. If HBO is really smart--and they may be smart enough to do this--they will slowly movie Temple Grandin into theatrical release and promote Claire Danes for next year's Best Actress Oscar. My suspicion is that she'd be hard to beat. There are also possible nods for Julia Ormond and Catherine O'Hara, as the mother and aunt respectively. They are amazing supporting performances. The movie is way better than good. It's great.

I didn't think you could be nominated for an Oscar if your movie had been shown on TV. Didn't Grizzly Man lose its chance for an Oscar nomination because of that?

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

I think if it airs on TV first (even cable ) its disqualified from the Oscar race Billy
Trish
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Just discovered this piece in the LATmes.

Kevin Lewin of World Entertainment News Network was so knocked out by viewing "Temple Grandin" that he wrote this piece for Gold Derby readers to warn them of major Emmy love ahead. In the TV film now airing on HBO, Claire Danes portrays a real-life autistic woman who became a leading scientist in humane livestock handling. Words below are Kev's:

Wow! And I mean WOW!!! Claire Danes had better hit the hardware store and pick up a good-sized wheelbarrow because she's going to clean up at all the TV awards ceremonies this year. All bets are off!

I can't remember the last time I was so moved by a performance in a TV movie and HBO's "Temple Grandin" just blew me away — so much so that I feel compelled to tell everyone in blogland that you HAVE to see this piece of magic. And who knew Ms. Danes was the new Streep? Maybe playing the great one's daughter in "The Hours" rubbed off.

Don't get me wrong, Danes isn't exactly terrible — I loved her in "Shopgirl" and a handful of other roles, but I raised an eyebrow when I first learned she'd be portraying the brilliant Temple G. I now feel I must publicly apologize to the new Mrs. (Hugh) Dancy for doubting her. I truly thought this role would be a tremendous reach for her.

Sorry, Claire.

Obviously, I'm not an expert on animal husbandry, autism or Temple Grandin for that matter, but I know when I'm watching something of great worth, and this HBO gem would have been an Oscar contender in many categories if it had been a cinema release. Kudos to HBO again.

From Mick Jackson's expert direction and the wonderful support of Julia Ormond, Catherine O'Hara and the always brilliant David Strathairn, this is a TV movie you have to see. Just breathtaking.

And, again, apologies to Ms. Danes. I will now be at the front of the line for anything you do. Enjoy the acclaim.

Me again. An Emmy is already a lock for Danes, but as I said above, if HBO is really smart, they'll move this into theatrical release and go for the Oscar.

inla--Is this a possibility? Can a cable movie be moved into Oscar contention after being shown on premium television?

Did you forget how good Claire was in Shakepeare's Romeo and Juliet ?
Trish
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

I didn't think you could be nominated for an Oscar if your movie had been shown on TV. Didn't Grizzly Man lose its chance for an Oscar nomination because of that?

I remember several years ago Ryan Gosling got tragically overlooked for an oscar nom for The Believer because of that rule
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:

Did you forget how good Claire was in Shakepeare's Romeo and Juliet ?

First of all, I wasn't knocked out by the performances in R&J. But second, that wasn't me being quoted above. It was Kevin Lewin.

Oh, and third: I've never remotely disliked Claire Danes. It's just that never ever would I have thought her capable of such a mindblowing performance as she gives in Temple Grandin. She is--all at once--one of our greatest screen actresses.

What next? Uma Thurman scores as Lady Macbeth? (Yes, Kill Bill fans, it's true: I think Thurman is a thoroughly mediocre actor.)
marantzo
Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What next? Uma Thurman scores as Lady Macbeth? (Yes, Kill Bill fans, it's true: I think Thurman is a thoroughly mediocre actor.)

Gary: I don't even think she thinks she is more than an average performer. She was good in Pulp Fiction. And she was very good playing the deranged super heroine in that highly underrated comedy, My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

Right on both counts. And she was really good in the TV movie Hysterical Blindness.

You're right about her self-deprecation. Thurman seems a very intelligent and likeable woman. It's not her fault that she's a cult heroine.
daffy
Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
I was kind of disappointed with The Pacific last night. I understand that it was an introduction of characters and all that, but there was a surprising lack of involvement for me. There was too little focus. I hope that changes in the upcoming segments. I have high hopes for this series, both because the producers did such a great job on Band of Brothers and because the Pacific theater, aside from Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, and Hiroshima (and maybe Midway) has been pretty much ignored by popular history. The battles on all those islands were ferocious and those guys have never gotten their due, as the D-Day guys have [Full disclosure: I'm biased, as my father was on a U.S. sub in the last couple of years of the war].

I looked over the episodes' synopses, and it appears that there won't be anything about the submarines in this series; it follows the stories of three marines. If you're going to call your series The Pacific, how can you limit the scope that way? (Band of Brothers also only focused on a small group of men, but they didn't call it The War In Europe, either). That's incredibly disappointing to me, as the subs weren't just the last line of defense, they were pretty much the only line of defense, holding off the Japanese in the early part of the Pacific war, and saving things while the US Navy regrouped.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html