Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

marantzo
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
So now the "no posts exist for this topic" disease has infected Current Films. FUCK!!!!!!
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
So now the "no posts exist for this topic" disease has infected Current Films. FUCK!!!!!!
Nope. I get that screen whenever I come to a topic that has reached the final post for the page before. Just go to the second to last page on the index. It'll be fine. Relax. Deep Breath. Exhale. There there there.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Betsy - I listened to the Twilight series on audiobook and agree re; #2 and the Edward dearth. But it's the House of Night series that has me captivated now. Imaginative beyond what Twilight is, and humor woven through every book. There are 6 in the series thus far, a 7th due in the spring, and no end in sight. I'd love to see them made into films but they'd have to be done right - I haven't seen Twilight and won't go see the 2nd one either, because I heard (from a friend who shares my audiobooks and discussions thereof) that the books were sold out for Hollywood. Same happened with Eragon. Sad, really - there's so much potential. I might catch them when they're on HBO.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Random Ramblings Dept.:

willybeeds, omarantz: Being a bleeding-heart liberal (who concurs with Oscar Hammerstein II in South Pacific, Margaret Sullavan in Haywire, and Mssrs. Marx/Whitty in Avenue Q re: prejudice/racism), hate away. It just strengthens my Homebodyesque/Anne Frankly/Louise from St. Louisiche love-is-the-thing genes, he said tongue-in-cheekily.

Lissa, given your feelings for the Twilight novels, and now the new cycle, you are probably wise to avoid the current film series. The first one wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it might be, but wasn't exactly what I'd call an exemplar of cinematic artistry, masterful adaptation or inventive storytelling, and was sorely thin on humor, to hunting-boot. It didn't offend, but it didn't really send, either, though the two leads came off pretty well, and the Pacific Northwest sort of stole it.

befade, of course, Edward rocks, obviously, he's the hero of the narrative. But he belongs to Bella, and am disinclined to throw myself at the already-spoken-for undead (let alone face off his legions of devotees, including my sainted mater. It would prove injurious, for me). Also, have a tendency to root for the underwolf. They're contrasting poles of fascinating hunkacity, Mr. Pattinson has the more matchless eyes, Mr. Lautner the more nonpareil abs. (Non-sequiturially, the J&J review is almost done, came close to disaster when my carnivorous computer went flop-bottom amid my calling in revisions on Three Tall Women for the blog, er, paper of record, but, any day now, it will be fully cooked.)

Now, snippets of Michael Sheen as the head Volturi, with those red contacts, oily black hair and goth/medieval robe-age, are another kind of fascinating altogether. Like an albino Khan using Just For Men, by way of Things to Come, or sump'n.

I like Sandra Bullock, actually. She certainly does command attention merely in the trailer of The Blind Side. The awards Buzz has been near-instantaneous.

Charming, though too brief, confab between The Letterman and Blunt Emily re: The Young Victoria last night. The clip they chose found her looking eerily like what Dame Judi might have resembled if Mrs. Brown had been done 30 or 40 years earlier and dealt primarily with Albert's courtship of Victoria. It might end up being a post-Merchant/Ivory waxwork, but am hopeful it won't be. The clip was fairly intriguing. Can't wait.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
Random Ramblings Dept.:

willybeeds, omarantz: Being a bleeding-heart liberal (who concurs with Oscar Hammerstein II in South Pacific, Margaret Sullavan in Haywire, and Mssrs. Marx/Whitty in Avenue Q re: prejudice/racism), hate away. It just strengthens my Homebodyesque/Anne Frankly/Louise from St. Louisiche love-is-the-thing genes, he said tongue-in-cheekily.

I am a card-carrying liberal from way back, but I hope not a bleeding heart, by which I mean someone whose every reaction is knee-jerk. as in: since Sandra Bullock's character is white and the man she helps is black, the movie is racist. Feh.
ehle64
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I tried to watch that first Twilight movie. *LOL* It was extremely corny to me. Instead of gasping for more blood I was gagging at the acting, dialogue and obvious attempts to woo every film-challenged teenager to sit their Juicy Couture asses in the seats time and time again.

I still haven't seen Where the Wild Things Are and that makes me sad. The trailer alone with the Arcade Fire track playing in the background was enough to have me all verklempt!
Marc
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
I have no interest in this Twilight shit.
inlareviewer
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Well, didn't say I loved Bite Me, but did have uncomplicated fun at it. Fun takes many forms. For me, that included bouts of eye-rolling, hooting, cocking my head sideways like a perplexed Peke, wondering exactly how anemic La Belle Kristen was, or if it was simply the lighting, marveling at Mr. Pattinson's orbs, and tossing/catching much popcorn in my mouth. Also, Sarah Clarke, late of 24 as skinny mole Nina, played Bella's mom, and I got a great deal of perverse enjoyment wondering if perhaps she had become a vampire after Jack Bauer offed her.

Wadehle, Where The Wild Things Are may well make you verklempt. it is very much its own animal from the picture book, and caught me completely off-guard. Can't quite put my finger on precisely when or why, beyond various child-of-divorce issues, a distinctive look and subjective POV, and the nascent jones I have for Spike Jonze. Watched it again at the Baroque Violinist's earlier this week, thanks to his in-house source for such things, and also his really, really big....screen. For me, it stood up and then some, though possibly a shade over-frenetically edited at the advent of Max at Where. But it's remarkable, certain modernities that distracted the first time now seemed exactly right, and the final scene again made me all snuffly and sniffly. Poetic without being snotty about it, I think. Let the Wild Rumpus start.

billyweeds wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:
Random Ramblings Dept.:

I am a card-carrying liberal from way back, but I hope not a bleeding heart, by which I mean someone whose every reaction is knee-jerk. as in: since Sandra Bullock's character is white and the man she helps is black, the movie is racist. Feh.
Um, I was joking. Hence "tongue-in-cheekily." Plus, what you've just described doesn't seem to me to be exclusive to liberals, or conservatives, or libertarians, or apoliticals, or communists, or Rotarians. But to idiots, regardless of political bent.
Also, I would hope that everyone has a bleeding heart.
'Cause, otherwise, they'd be dead.

Viggo! is on The Letterman tub-thumping for The Road tonight. Oh, good heavens. Plumb forgot about that one. Another gotta-see-it. It's always like this.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
Um, I was joking. Hence "tongue-in-cheekily."

I figgered thus. But, anal-retentive me, I hadda be sure.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Ehle's reaction to Twilight, is the reaction I was sure to have if I saw it. Of course I didn't, and Marc's interest in the series is just as strong as mine.
lady wakasa
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
If I were still a teenage girl, I'd probably at least check out the Twilight thing. But I'm old and jaded now, so there will be no sparkly vampires in my future.

That said, I do know several women around my age who are into it in a big way. And that with not liking the apparent politics of the author.

marantzo
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
It seems like the accepted wisdom that females mature faster than males is accurate (mostly) but then again a lot of women stop maturing at adolescence.
Befade
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have no interest in this Twilight shit.

Keep your bluntness to yourself. I have been bitten. New Moon was better than I expected.......Mainly because it is so carried by Kristen Stewart. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This series reverberates with a teenage girl's discovery of Love, Sex, Boys or whatever you want to call it. It's like the architype for the process.

If it's a SPOILER to say that the first film was Discovery/Fear/Excitement, New Moon has Abandonment/Rejection/Platonic Love. I've read all the books and I won't give anything away.....except to say it's important to have the whole story.

Inla........Michael Sheen was not as impressive as Dakota Fanning, another Volturi.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see someone stick up for Twilight, though I'll admit the series doesn't resonate with me. On the other hand, great looking men without shirts sounds like great company for a couple of hours. I'm sure I'll see it before it leaves the theatres.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
If box office success has anything to do with Oscar nominations--and it does, it does--then Sandra Bullock is officially a lock for a Best Actress nod with the astounding debut of The Blind Side, which is confounding all predictions. It's a smash hit.