Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I've meant to watch Friends with Money forever. It irritates me that though she has a supporting role, the dvd cover emphasizes her.

You're wrong about her role being supporting. It's arguably the leading role, though the film is accurately described as "ensemble."

Okay.

-Topher
daffy
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
This week's movie at the K2 Lounge is Vampyr :

Quote:
CABARETCINEMA where movies and martinis mix: FREE with a $7 bar minimum.

Vampyr

Friday Nov. 20, 2009 @ 9:30 PM

Carl Theodor Dreyer, France/Germany, 1932 (73 minutes)

A student of the occult enters a small village outside of Paris that is plagued by vampires. Dreyer manages to create a horror film. fraught with gorgeous cinematography and complex characters. that never allows the audience to stop thinking. All the imagery is set in a dreamy, gauzy world that seems to exist only for the telling of this delicate tale. In Jungian terms the vampire is a symbol of the libidinous instincts turning against life. The archetype often reflects the symbiotic complicity that exists between victim and victimizer.

Introduced by Ellen Kushner

Free with a $7 bar minumum

Novelist, performer and public radio personality Ellen Kushner is the host and writer of the national series *PRI's Sound & Spirit. * Her award-winning novels include the mannerpunk cult classic Swordspoint, and Thomas the Rhymer (World Fantasy Award). Kushner's children's story, The Golden Dreydl: A Klezmer 'Nutcracker', has been produced as a CD (with Shirim Klezmer Orchestra), a picture book, and will be produced onstage in 2009-10 by New York's Vital Theatre. She is a co-founder of the Interstitial Arts Foundation, and lives in New York City.

Inspired by the exhibition The Red Book of C. G. Jung the Red Book series presents classic films that explore Jungian themes, including the various archetypes and the exploration of the self through fantasy.

http://www.rmanyc.org/nav/calendar

Other films in the Red Book series include:

Star Trek:The Enemy Within (1966) - November 27
Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Rouben Mamoulian (1931) - December 4
Repulsion - Roman Polanski (1965) - December 11
In a Lonely Place - Nicholas Ray (1950) - December 18
L'eclisse - Michelangelo Antonioni (1962) - Jan. 8, 2010
Blue Velvet - David Lynch (1986) - Jan. 15, 2010
The Face of Another - Hiroshi Teshigahara (1966) - Jan. 22, 2010
Jacob's Ladder - Adrian Lyne (1990) - Jan. 29, 2010

This week's password is "Renfield." Say it and get a free cocktail from the bloodsucker behind the bar.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
lissa
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Okay, I just joined (free 2-week trial) the Canadian NetFlix (Zip.ca)...tired of not seeing the titles I'd like in my local video store (blockbuster - which is okay for mainstream but not for some of the others I'd like to see) and some of the older films I'd like to see aren't always available for purchase even on Best Buy or Amazon's websites. Starting off slowly, due to finances (no job at all this semester)...$5.95/month with 2 DVD rentals per month. Along with what I CAN get at Blockbuster, this should be fine...and it's a start!

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Okay, I just joined (free 2-week trial) the Canadian NetFlix (Zip.ca)...tired of not seeing the titles I'd like in my local video store (blockbuster - which is okay for mainstream but not for some of the others I'd like to see) and some of the older films I'd like to see aren't always available for purchase even on Best Buy or Amazon's websites. Starting off slowly, due to finances (no job at all this semester)...$5.95/month with 2 DVD rentals per month. Along with what I CAN get at Blockbuster, this should be fine...and it's a start!

I love Netflix, not to mention the fact that they are the most efficiently-run, user-friendly consumer website on the internet. You can always get a real person on the phone. Complete absence of voice mail hell.
lissa
Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm just loving the price - rentals here are at least 5 bucks a pop. Not only does this trump that price, but TV series count as one title - that's a savings of at least 10 bucks, if not more!

They're billed as the Canadian NetFlix - and it looks like the interface is similar (the red theme etc)...so I'm guessing it's equivalent, if not identical. I am going nuts with the selection though - gonna be a good exercise going through every title I can't get here!

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My only problem with Netflix is finding time to watch the movies. Not that they mind if I wait.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
If anyone has a PS3 and a Netflix account -- all of the instant streaming films they offer can now be streamed through PS3. It's a great addition to the mailings and I've watched a few things and the streaming is instantaneous.

Hello, everyone! I'm attempting to be around a bit more these days. Won't be able to do anything but read Current Films forum for a while because I can't afford the prices of movies here in NYC until I get another gig with steady income. But I do have a lot of older films here lined up to see and the Netflix thingy, so will probably do most of my postings on them in Couch.

What happened while I was away -- no BTC. I don't care either way, I'm just sorry I missed whatever it was that led up to it's closing. Oh how I miss those drama days. . .

Back to play ketchup, CIAO Fraus und Frauleins!!
marantzo
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Great to see you back Wade. I was worried.
Marc
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
good to have you back Wade. Really really good. Stick around.
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
And you know you can always bum stuff off of me. %^}

inlareviewer
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Wadehle, what everyone else said, woohoo, hoorah, hopla.

daffy, that film series that begins with Vampyr looks darkly attractive. Some enduring (and sleep-preventing) faves in the mix. Shivericious and noirrific.

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
In a 2005 attempt to outlaw gay marriage (and, frankly, any marriage that isn't the traditional going-in-front-of-a-justice-of-the-peace-type-of-person), the State of Texas may have amended the state constitution to basically outlaw marriage in general.

Have state lawmakers accidentally banned marriage in Texas?

I'm sitting back and enjoying this, myself.

ehle64
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank guys, I appreciate it! *mwah*
Marj
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Wade,

Just to let you know you're not alone. Most of this years movies I'll be seeing when they get to DVD. I am going to do my best to see Nine, but even that's iffy.
ehle64
Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Y'all know I'm no fan of Musicals, but with that cast and Fellini and liking (far from loving) Chicago, I so wanna be there!