Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  The Writer's Corner

yambu
Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Mel. We'll be spending more time on the Dingle Peninsula in May. While Dingletown itself has only 1200 residents, it supports a greater number, and has fifty-eight pubs in town. About a dozen have live Trad music almost every night of the week.

The Dingle is in County Kerry, and because it is relatively isolated, the Irish tongue is very strong there. Kerry is recognized as the musical heart of the country. It seems that just about everyone, women and children included, play a bit of something, or else study dance. In this way it reminds me of the Crooked Road area in Southwest Virginia.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Yam - I'm so happy you posted that story. No one can write it and make it come alive like you!

Btw, Melody continued your travel discussion BTC, where it really ought to be. Thanks, Mel!!
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Today, my first work of fiction has been published. Marj has known about this for some time and I thank her for her help in having a trained editor eye.

The book is called Weirdly Volume III. It's a compilation of short stories, one of which is one I wrote called "Double Or Nothing"

It's an e-book in PDF format available from the following link at Wild Child Publishing. It's $5.95. If it gets enough sales, it will go to print.
---> Weirdly Volume III

ehle64
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Congratulations chillster!
*popping the metaphorical cork in virtual celebration*
Marc
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Marty, I just bought a copy.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Great news Chilly. Movies, writing: You're an all-round athlete.
Marj
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Chills, I'm so happy for you that I'm at a loss for words. But thanks for your kind ones.
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
thanks Wade, Marc, Gary and Marj.

Marc, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the story.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Marty, I just bought a copy.

Hey, Marc. Curious what you thought of my short story "Double Or Nothing"

marantzo
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
After many years of living alone on the farm of his long gone parents, Harry Penner decided that his life, as routine and souless as it was, needed to change.

Twenty two years before, he inherited his parents' farm after they died in a car wreck not far from their homestead. Harry lived in the city at the time, practicing law as a senior partner in the city's largest law firm. He headed the commercial department of the firm and had a substantial bank account aside from his portfolio of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. He never married. He was a good looking man and always dressed impeccably. He was a serious man who rarely smiled and never indulged in small talk. His legal knowledge was encyclopedic and that was his only real concern, though it never stirred any emotion within him. His nickname among his subordinates was Roboman. Never voiced when he was within earshot, but he was aware of the moniker somehow and wasn't bothered by it, just as he wasn't bothered by much of anything. Roboman.

Last edited by marantzo on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The farm was left to him by the death of his parents in a car accident a short way down the highway from their farm, twenty two years before.

Twenty two years before, he inherited his parents' farm after they died in a car wreck not far from their homestead.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Good edit, Marc. I will change it. The sentence looked awkward to me and you saved me the trouble of trying other forms. Thank you very much.

I'm writing this the way I wrote the only book that I finished, by making it up as I go along.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
Harry sat at the kitchen table having his morning coffee, always three large cups every morning, with pen in hand, writing down ideas for how to change his life. His penmanship was as neat and controlled as his dress and personality. The lead in to the list was, Thing I Have to Change! Location was the first entry, followed by Habits. He left a large space under Location so he could list different self suggestions and a large space under Habits before his third entry which was Women. Under Women he only wrote one comment, Find some and get to know them. Under Location his first entry was The City and then listed six other options, San Francisco, France, Australia, Bahamas, London and Montreal. He had been to all these places and thought of all the pros and cons of each. He kept going back to The City, the only con was this prairie city's bitter winters. He was always comfortable there and it seemed to have nothing that would hinder any of the things he wanted to change. Lots of available attractive women, easy access to marijuana, which was one of his listings under Habits: sub section, Things To Try, lots of places to go at night and very affordable housing. He was careful with his money even though he had a lot. Clothes were his only real extravagance. He was only bothered by the fact that The City wasn't an adventurous choice. He rationalized that not all of his changes had to be adventurous and his activities in The City would be the adventure. Then it occurred to him that the people who knew him would be surprised, if not shocked, by how he had changed. That sealed it. The City it was, and as he circled it he had a big grin on his face. A rarity. He was changing already.
Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

I like that you appear to be taking more time with this. One question: What city does Harry keep returning to?
marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Three guesses. Smile For some reason I like just referring to Winnipeg as The City, some city in the Canadian prairies. Margaret Laurence changed the name of Neepawa, Manitoba to a fictitious name in A Jest of God (Rachel, Rachel) as many authors do for their cities, but I like The City, being the only large city in the Province helps, and the largest city in the prairies. I may make up a name or even give it its real name, but I'll have to get much further in, if or when I change it.

Thanks for reading the very short piece that I started, Marj.