Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

marantzo
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
Just read your review, Rod. I had read a clip from it that I believe Marilyn posted or linked, whatever. That's why I thought I read it.

Interesting review and as it is written, gave me a good feel for how the movie is structured....strangely. I am not a big Tarantino follower, though I've liked a number of his movies. I have not liked other. Unable to sit through Death Proof, twice! the second time at a cineplex where the movie I had seen finished and Death Proof was playing, so I went into the theatre because people on the forum were saying that the second have was worth seeing. I came in when the girlz were babbling away and I really tried to stay for the second part, but I just couldn't. It was awful.

I am not tempted in the least to see Inglourious Basterds (sp?).
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

I am not tempted in the least to see Inglourious Basterds (sp?).

You should rethink, Gary. You know that you and I agree completely about Death Proof, and I loved IBs.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's not because I think it is not a good picture. I B It's because everything I've read about it, and that's been a lot, has me pretty sure that it isn't the kind of picture I'd like. I may end up seeing it sometime, though. If it gets here, then I'll decide.

We have Annie Hall to watch this week. I've seen it a number of times of course, but Marta hasn't seen it.
Marc
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
pretty sure that it isn't the kind of picture I'd like

Gary, you say that a lot. And it surprises me coming from an adventurous dude like yourself. You will waste a couple of hours on shit like G.I. JOE, but you won't take a chance on a truly original work like INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.
I say go for it. Inglourious Basterds is not like any "kind" of other picture. It's truly unique. It is a genre of it's own. It's not like any other kind of war picture, it's not like any other kind of comedy, it's not like any other kind of action picture, it's not like any other kind of anything. Whether you like the film or not, you gotta give it credit for being it's own beast. Tarantino is doing something very Godardian, but in a very funny and entertaining fashion. Like Godard, Tarantino uses cinema as a commentary on cinema and pop culture at large. It's no mere coincidence that his production company is called A BAND APART (a variation on Godard's film "Bande a part"). I think does a fine job of balancing the fun of film with his reverence for the medium. He's the closest thing this country has to a contemporary "nouvelle vague".
marantzo
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
First of all G I Joe wasn't shit, it was good. When I G gets here, if ever, I'll decide if I want to go to it or not. Yes there are a lot of types that I'm not interested in seeing. Everyone has their own tastes.

Why won't you see G I Joe? Laughing
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Gary has a good point, Marc. Folks like you and I (yes, me too) decide that G.I. Joe is shit sight unseen, but won't cut Gary slack on whether he wants to make sight-unseen judgments on films we like. Double standard?

Btw, I dislike most of Godard. Inglourious Basterds was better than any Godard I've ever seen save possibly Breathless, which I think is also somewhat overrated though "great" because groundbreaking.
Marc
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tarantino is doing something very Godardian, but in a very funny and entertaining fashion.

billy, please note the funny and entertaining part of my comment.
Marc
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

I won't see G.I. JOE for the same reason that I won't see most of the Hollywood CGI blockbusters. I don't go to the movies to see big budget video games. In the case of these kinds (to use your phrase) of films, if you've seen a few of them, you've seen all of them. G.I. JOE is directed by one of the biggest hacks in Hollywood, Stephen Sommers. I know his type of film making (the gawdawful Mummy series), just as I know the kinds of films made by Michael Bay and Uwe Boll. I am not an elitist when it comes to the movies. I like cheap thrills as much as the next guy. But, movies that rely more on computer generated imagery than acting, plot or actual human beings doing stunts, bore me. I don't dig the fakery. I much prefer old school martial arts films to the bullshit being pumped out by computers in Hollywood. They leave me cold. Spielberg, Raimi and Tim Burton are among the handful of directors who can combine a lot of special effects with human warmth.
Earl
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Interesting point, Marc. I'd add James Cameron to that list. He has a knack for using special effects in a way that enhance the story rather than overwhelm it. Especially in The Abyss.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Marc, it sounds like you didn't read my review of G I Joe. It does have good acting and a nice story line. Some good martial arts sequences, with a story line that makes it personal. It's a very enjoyable ride that doesn't take itself very seriously. I like the first Mummy movie well enough, but not the sequels. G I Joe is much better than The Mummy. Hey some directors get better. Like the saying (which I've never been able to remember from whence it came) "A fool who persists in his foolishness, becomes wise."
marantzo
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
And if you do see the movie, which I doubt, and like it, you'll be happy to know that there is sure to be a sequel as they closed with sequel written all over it. Very Happy
Marc
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

I will see GI JOE on dvd because of your recommendation.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Gary,

I will see GI JOE on dvd because of your recommendation.

As will I, it goes almost without saying.
gromit
Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, he didn't sucker me into watching that dreck. (But I will keep an eye out for other positive reviews and accolades).

I'm wavering on Inglourious Basterds. I'm glad I skipped Death Proof, and had intended to miss this as well. But IG seems to be an event of sorts and is gathering up a good deal of praise, so i'll probably watch it. Basterds has already been out here on Dvd for months (since early June I believe).

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Gary has a good point, Marc. Folks like you and I (yes, me too) decide that G.I. Joe is shit sight unseen, but won't cut Gary slack on whether he wants to make sight-unseen judgments on films we like. Double standard?

Btw, I dislike most of Godard. Inglourious Basterds was better than any Godard I've ever seen save possibly Breathless, which I think is also somewhat overrated though "great" because groundbreaking.

Mouth agape. Not love Godard???? Well, considering the bulk of his work now, I'd probably agree. But everything I've seen that he made up to (but not including) Weekend knocks my socks off. Trivia note: the trio dancing the Madison in Band of Outsiders was the direct inspiration for the Time Warp—also originally performed only by a trio.

-Topher