Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

carrobin
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Great news. And I kind of like Topher. I don't know how much the budget cuts will have on the show--maybe fewer exotic locations, but those weren't really vital to the show anyway.
Syd
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Dollhouse episodes are a few minutes longer than most Fox shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they were cut a bit in length to conform with the other shows.

I'm still waiting on the last three episodes of Pushing Daisies, which will be aired on May 30, June 6 and 13.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alpha: "I am not multiple personalities; I am many personalities. OK, one of my personalities is a multiple personality, but that does not make me a multiple personality. I'm going for a little nuance here."

Probably my favorite line of dialogue in the entire season. On any show of this past season.

Finally got around to watching the Dollhouse season finale tonight. I caught Star Trek with Joe last night and at the post-movie coffee house when I told him I still hadn't seen the episode, he was nothing short of appalled.

Anyway, I enjoyed it very much. I hope this does not mean we've seen the last of Mellie/November. As Syd mentioned a few weeks back, it's great to see a non-waif actress in a sexy role. I, too, thought that Paul freed her because he loved her.

I still wonder if the whole premise is Whedon's metaphor for show business. Actives=Actors; Imprints=Roles; Handlers=Agents; DeWitt=Studio Boss; Topher=Nerdy Writer Who Creates the Roles Without Which the Actors Would Have Nothing To Do, But He Never Gets Any Credit Because His Job Isn't Glamorous Enough.

Good to know about the renewal, albeit at a reduced budget. I want to see more of that metaphor even if that metaphor is a total misreading of the show and is not at all what Whedon had in mind.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
We also don't know who progammed the dolls to contact Ballard. Was it Alpha?

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
We also don't know who progammed the dolls to contact Ballard. Was it Alpha?

It's possible, but I'm still a little suspicious of Topher's assistant. Or even DeWitt herself in some convoluted scheme.

I finally watched the last two episodes. I liked the next to last episode more than the finale, which I found bewildering. I hope Topher saved Echo's multiple imprint for when she needs 38 people to talk to.

Alpha actually seems a bit too nutty to be an effective villain. He calls attention to himself too much.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Tim Minear, who has worked with Whedon for a long time and wrote/directed the Dollhouse season finale, confirmed in this comment on the Whedonesque board that they did indeed shoot a 13th episode which FOX, in its infinite wisdom, will not air! (It will be on the DVD, though.) The Whedon interview below contains a mild (very mild) spoiler regarding what that 13th episode deals with, but it apparently does not resolve any of the questions left hanging in the Season One finale. It is a stand-alone episode.

Joss Whedon gives an interview on the renewal of Dollhouse here.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
wow - they produced a thirteenth episode without an agreement? They should figure out a way to charge double for Fox to air it. Though Fox, who probably have exclusive rights to the DVD release, are already seeing dollar signs at having an unreleased episode in the DVD release. Remind me to tell you, if you haven't heard, of how I bought Firefly THREE times (albeit twice from entreprenuarial fans) because of unaired episodes.

No network seems to have the patience anymore to develop what Fox seems to want in a cheap way - a series in which standalone episodes can be produced while still keeping the loyal fans produced by a good long term storyline. Buffy only really worked because the WB was too young to get rid of a slightly successful series.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
You're right about all of it, and it became obvious WB felt it had joined the Fox ranks when it made Joss produce that promotion piece to "sell" Angel for what turned out to be its final season. First they make him do it, then they insist that it's their highest rated show for young adults and would not dream of cancelling it, then cancel it before the season gets barely underway, forcing extensive re-writes to finish the story arcs?

What gets me about this is: has any of them heard of something called Star Trek? Or look at the sales you mentioned of Firefly. They can cancel this show and produce rows and rows of series that, hit or miss, will be just like every other series on t.v. But those identical shows won't make enormous profits on DVDs, novelizations, etc. They are more guaranteed of a hefty profit if they let this ratings-shakey show stay on the air than any number of moderate ratings hits. I could understand th rush to pull the plug if Joss hadn't proved the (financial) success of of his work before. But at this point, it just seems like bad business.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Comments on the final episode of the season for Legend of the Seeker:

1) The Midland's dark future apparently is to be ruled by Uncle Fester
2) A great deal of the book series has been deleted. It's nice to see Cara, though.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
I just noticed the other day that the BBC series Primeval is being run on the SCI-FI channel. That's the one where time warps appear that send creatures from the Paleozoic and Mesozoic (and, apparently, the future) into our time, or vice versa. It's silly and likeable. I remember one episode where a woman's basement was flooded by Mesozoic ooze and there was *something* swimming around in it. The series is done by the same people who did Walking with Dinosaurs, Walking with Cavemen, Sea Monsters (not to be confused with the IMAX film) and several related series, and is mostly an excuse to use animatronic monsters. I find it absurdly delightful.

What is it about BBC series? Do they run them for three months every two or three years?

And are we ever going to get Murder Most Horrid, the one where Dawn French played a murderer or victim each week? (We do get The Vicar of Dibley, which is a lot of fun. Of course, Murder Most Horrid was released in Region 2. I know several people who would love to have that series.)

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Joe,

I am so freakin' at this thing...

www.swamp.org/buffy

...that it's not even funny.

You?

[P.S. I'm referring to the screening, not necessarily the reception.]

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
You know it! Just bought my ticket.

-Topher
sioux
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm seriously considering coming down for this.
Earl
Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sioux, join us! It looks to be a blast.

=======================

Did anyone here happen to catch the premiere of Being Human on BBC America last Saturday? They will rerun the pilot episode tomorrow night and then follow that with a new episode. The premise sounds intriguing:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/369/being-human-about-the-show.jsp

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
Totally. And if you're really serious, I'll buy you a ticket for the show as soon as you ask. If I weren't living with my folks, I'd offer you a place to stay too. But if you come, I'll split that hotel bill with you. That's how much I'd love to meet you in person!

-Topher