Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

carrobin
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed "My BFG Wedding," but I don't remember the end of it at all.

Daniel Radcliffe was on the Today Show the other morning and when asked what was the toughest scene to do, he said "When Dumbledore died," then said "I shouldn't have said that--oh well, everyone's read the book, right?" I'd already told my mother and my friend David to avoid reviews, but I didn't expect Harry himself to blurt it out.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
I still have no idea why anyone liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding. About the most mediocre piece of film-making I could imagine.

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I still have no idea why anyone liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding. About the most mediocre piece of film-making I could imagine.

Though I agree it was totally mediocre, I can certainly understand the audience appeal. It was passably funny, and had an "irresistible" ethnic hook. (I put "irresistible" in quotes because I was able to resist it.)
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
Among the commercials and flipping around to TCM this morning, I caught Gene Shalit's review of "The Hurt Locker." He loved it--and it wasn't his usual cute-and-quick nod to Hollywood. Though I still wouldn't put it on my gotta-see list if it weren't for the comments in this forum.
warpedgirl17
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
I just saw the new Harry Potter film yesterday when it came out in theaters. I thought it was amazing! I love it like all the other films! I liked how they followed the book very well in this one like the other films. The camera angles and shots in this were fantastic! I was amazed at them! I'm glad the film finally came out after waiting a while for it to.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Saw The Hurt Locker tonight. Brilliant film-making, all-around fine acting by the whole cast (with a special nod to "Sanborn" Anthony Mackie). I'm not a war film fan, but Bigelow kept up the pacing quite well and I liked that the suspense level was high without a stupid score telling me so.

I had no idea what a Hurt Locker was, so I looked it up:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hurt%20locker

Also a question (and spoiler, I guess):.
What's the point of putting on those big bomb suits? Guy Pearce dies and Jeremy Renner doesn't. Was it due to the size of the bombs they were dealing with? Thanks if anyone knows.

Last edited by ehle64 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
gromit
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'm sure the bomb suits offer a certain level of protection. Would certainly protect from shrapnel and some degree of concussive impact.
There is the car bomb scene where Renner shucks the bomb suit, acknowledging that it's useless against such a horde of explosives.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
I think the idea is that James (Renner) being the character he is doesn't feel the need for the bomb suit. It's like cyclists who reject the helmet.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry, more spoilage:

Renner does get blown pretty far while wearing his suit with the "good" suicide bomber. That scene and the Guy Pearce scene had similar situations. When I think about it though, the GP scene happened with an entirely different type of explosive. Must have been more powerful.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
ehle--SPOILER

Or maybe James just got lucky.
lshap
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince yesterday, not because of any personal interest, but because it was part of the birthday party for my two boys and four of their friends. I saw the very first film, liked it, but had no idea what's happened in the last six years worth of films.

Lots, apparently. While Harry, Ron and Hermione are familiar enough, and Dumbledore (sp?) remains the timeless Obi-Wan-esque father figure, a whole other mythology has evolved, grown up, and swirled out of thin air. There are bad guys, really bad guys, and uberbad guys - layer upon layer of evil, apparently dependent on a magical pissing match of whose wand is bigger. I don't mean to be dismissive, it's just that I don't know the players. But I recognize quality, and it's clear The Half-Blood Prince is a really good film, anchored by central characters with solid histories that are well-acted, and nicely nurtured from adolescence into early adulthood.

But as Syd said, it ain't for the non-fan. I had no clue who, what, when and why things were happening, which, I guess, proves how popular this franchise is if it can build a huge box office base on fans alone. It also proves you should never take a group of nine-year-olds to a two-and-a-half hour movie without forcing them to go to the toilet beforehand.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Although I haven't yet seen "HP and the Half-Blood Prince," I've seen all the others and read the books, so I can report that Harry's story gets more deeply into the questions of good and evil, love and hate, and life and death with each segment. I agree that viewers of "Half-Blood Prince" should have seen the previous films, or at least know the books.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The question of good and evil strikes even deeper in the seventh book when you discover dark elements in Dumbledore's past as well.

I thought the desaturated look of the color was an interesting touch. It fit the tone of the movie, which was more sombre than some of the earlier movies.

The book is one of the best in the series, but it was difficult to adapt to the screen.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Saw THE HURT LOCKER again. It's even better the second time around.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Saw THE HURT LOCKER again. It's even better the second time around.

You can say that again--and see it again, which I will for the third time on Tuesday. First movie I've seen three times this fast in about 15 years.