Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
lorne -

I agree with you about Rockwell's acting, but I would point out that Choke was in fact undercut by the director's decision to essentially eliminate all of billy's scenes, obviating any need for anyone to see the movie.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
lorne -

I agree with you about Rockwell's acting, but I would point out that Choke was in fact undercut by the director's decision to essentially eliminate all of billy's scenes, obviating any need for anyone to see the movie.

Now that's what I call loyalty! And it will be rewarded! (Well, at least in heaven.)

Btw, I agree about Rockwell's performance. He's one of my favorite actors of his generation, but Choke was SR on autopilot or worse. And, yes, Clark Gregg's direction was totally uninspired--not only because of his treatment of Moi, but everything else as well.
Marj
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Marc begged others to see Public Enemies so we could discuss it more.

I'm waitin' ...
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Saw it. Discussed it. You can look it up.

(Didn't like it very much.)
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Lorne--Check out Rockwell in Matchstick Men. Wonderful.
Marc
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

You and I are in complete agreement on PUBLIC ENEMIES. I will probably see it for a third time. Right now, I'm still reeling (pun intended) from THE HURT LOCKER experience, which I will see for a second time.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Marj,

You and I are in complete agreement on PUBLIC ENEMIES. I will probably see it for a third time. Right now, I'm still reeling (pun intended) from THE HURT LOCKER experience, which I will see for a second time.

And I will see The Hurt Locker for a third time this week.
Marj
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I can understand not being able to switch gears. But Billy I did read what you wrote and to say to anyone on this board, what you just did to me is terribly dismissive. Even if you don't like a film.

Marc -- I'd love to see it again. But finances being what they are, I'll probably wait for the DVD and I'll buy this one. But I do not recommend anyone see Public Enemies on DVD for the first time. This is a theater movie if there ever was one.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I can understand not being able to switch gears. But Billy I did read what you wrote and to say to anyone on this board, what you just did to me is terribly dismissive. Even if you don't like a film.

OMG, Marj--I am so sorry. I just wrote what I posted and you are right, it sounds so dismissive. I swear I didn't mean it that way, I was just (in passing) trying to say that there was somebody here who had seen the movie. It sounded to me as though you hadn't noticed that I'd commented on it and just wanted to give you the heads-up. That's what written words can do as opposed to spoken. It was, in any case, unnecessarily abrupt at the very least, and again, I apologize.
Marc
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

I posted a fairly substantial review of PUBLIC ENEMIES here in Current Film. But, I am open to a PUBLIC ENEMIES discussion.
Marj
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Billy--Apology happily accepted.

Btw, there were some points in your post on Public Enemies I agreed with. I too wished there were more of a dramatic arc. But as Marc pointed out, there are some films that hit the floor running and just keep moving onwards and never stop.

And like you and Syd, I was confused by the second tier gangsters. But I was so swept up by Depp, and Cottilard, I didn't really care. And this you're not going to like. I actually believed in their love story, more than I did Bonny and Clyde. And I love that film.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:

I actually believed in their love story, more than I did Bonny and Clyde. And I love that film.

I can actually understand this, and even partially agree, particularly because I thought Cotillard appeared so invested in the relationship, so devoid of narcissism, something you could never say about Beatty nor Dunaway, no matter how much you admire their charisma. Cotillard is quite an amazing actor.

Depp was also devoid of narcissism. Unfortunately, I am just not moved by his presence.

By the way, it's "Bonnie," not "Bonny."

Last edited by billyweeds on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Marj, before billy has a chance, it's BONNIE.

On a second viewing, PUBLIC ENEMIES's characters and action sequences became clearer. Watching it for the first time I was so swept up in the visuals and the rhythm of the film that the plot and characters kind of receded into the background. I react that way initially to a good rock song. I respond to the beat, the hook, the chorus, but don't pay alot of attention to the lyrics. That comes later. I don't know the lyrics to most of my favorite songs, but I do know the melodies.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Marj, before billy has a chance, it's BONNIE.

Not so fast, me young bucko! Razz
Marc
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
beat me by a minute, gunslinger.