Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The Rock n Roll, Rap n Crap name came from mr brownstone (who I had the pleasure of meeting once in Las Vegas in 2006). Although other names have been suggested, this one has stuck well.

Maybe in the hopes that someday Tim will return and know that discussions may have changed, but the title remains the same.

Marc
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Here are 12 lo-tech videos I did for youtube. I hope your computer has decent speakers. If not, use head phones. I want my music to be heard in the possible format. The sound quality on these videos is excellent. I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/hippiemc1
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Marc, listened and watched your production. I found it, as they used to say, heavy shit. I don't know who you got for the band but they are terrific. People might find the album too whimsical though. Laughing
Marc
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
whimsical as death. A friend described it as Satanic hippie music.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Here are 12 lo-tech videos I did for youtube. I hope your computer has decent speakers. If not, use head phones. I want my music to be heard in the possible format. The sound quality on these videos is excellent. I hope you enjoy them.

http://www.youtube.com/hippiemc1

Just getting around to checking them out. Love them. Especially taken with "Gettin' High With Ida." Paints a vivid picture of a time and place, succeeds in being nostalgic without being sentimental.
warpedgirl17
Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
Just wanted to say 2 new albums I'm loving right now are the new Regina Spektor & Art Brut. Has anyone else listened to them too? If you have what did you think of them? I'm also loving the new Green Day & Sliversun Pickups albums too.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The Michael Jackson tribute songs have already begun to hit the airwaves:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=219768700257&h=B1Z4-&u=ypdRb&ref=nf
Marc
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
this guy has a certain genius. Apparently he's a bonafide youtube phenomenon who is marketing himself pretty effectively. In this song he takes the faux earnestness of Coldplay and Radiohead and has fun with it. Check out his other videos. They're a riot. His name is Jon Lajoie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShTm8MnUAjo&feature=channel_page
Marc
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
here's another. this one is sweet.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=219768700257&h=B1Z4-&u=ypdRb
Macca00
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I know it seems strange to many who watch the music-based websites that there's been a relatively muted response to Michael Jackson's death in these quarters. It's nothing of a callous or tasteless nature, it's just that Jackson himself willingly became a celebrity, as opposed to a musician, two decades ago.
Had to smile at Spinal Tap's description earlier today of Springsteen as "the employer". They played the main (Pyramid) stage a few hours before The Boss at the Glastonbury Festival. As for Bruce & the E Street Band, they were reliably formidable; the BBC's cameras picked out some in the audience born in the 80s & 90s who, despite their taste for Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Dizzee Rascal, etc., probably thought, "How the f*** can an old guy play like that?"
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it's just that Jackson himself willingly became a celebrity, as opposed to a musician

Exactly.
Macca00
Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Prior to Springsteen's spell-binding set with the E Street Band at the Glastonbury Festival on Saturday night, he turned up for a number with a fellow New Jersey band, Gaslight Anthem:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/glastonbury/2009/artists/gaslightanthem/ .
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
warpedgirl17 wrote:
Just wanted to say 2 new albums I'm loving right now are the new Regina Spektor & Art Brut. Has anyone else listened to them too? If you have what did you think of them? I'm also loving the new Green Day & Sliversun Pickups albums too.

I didn't even know Art Brut had a new album out. And you and I talk music a lot.

warpedgirl17
Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
chillywilly wrote:
warpedgirl17 wrote:

I didn't even know Art Brut had a new album out. And you and I talk music a lot.

Yep they do. It's called Art Brut Vs. Satan. It came out in the US in April.

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
My song 88 LINES ABOUT 44 WOMEN was recorded in 1981. There have been dozens of video homages uploaded to youtube celebrating the song. But, this is the first authorized video for 88 LINES. I made this last night. I hope you dig it.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=104047532169&h=tj4Ps&u=YmpFE&ref=mf