Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  PRE-Code: a Specialty Forum

Marc
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
those dolls are rockin!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Syd's comments about the screenings Nancy would arrange makes me think about what I enjoyed so much about her: her eclectic taste. She had so many various interests, and she was so knowledgable about all of them. From The Student Prince to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
I've been looking through her old posts, and the thing that most comes across is how ebullient she was. There's so much joy in her posts, so much enthusiasm. What a great, positive force she was.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Syd, thank you so much for that information about Nancy's activities and many talents. The dolls are wonderful. She was surely a most beloved member of Third Eye. A tragic loss.
Marj
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather amazed but not surprised by Nancy's dolls. They're stunning! And that's an understatement.

Joe has already said what I've been thinking so I'll just add a silly but to me, a personal memory. When I couldn't sleep, I often came on the board and found Syd and Nancy here. At first I wondered about that and then remembered the time difference.

Nancy would often get on a roll with her wry sense of humor. And as I happen to love droll, I'd just watch her make mince meat of the posts that deserved it. But she was never mean. Still, I often wondered if those posters 'got' her.

With all of Nancy's accomplishments I think it important to remember her personality. I don't ever remember her getting into a fight or even making a complaint. She so loved movies and her humor is what I think I miss most. Of course I will never forget making all of the Madame Satan DVD's for her. That was fun. But ultimately it was her personality that struck me the most.

A gal like Nancy is hard to find. They only come along rarely. I cherish my memories of her.
lissa
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday Nancy, wherever you are celebrating. Your absence is palpable.

thanks for those pics of dolls I hadn't yet seen, Syd. I'm scouring my archives of emails for those she sent me - hoping I still have the pics of fairy dolls she'd sent.

Nancy was an extraordinarily faceted person, and we're seeing that just from Syd's intro. But she was special in her absolute selflessness. She wrote me from time to time, in the years I wasn't on the forum, and that meant the world to me. It said to me, "you're a friend no matter where we communicate." We'd catch up in long emails to each other, and sometimes there would be long stretches of no emails but then one would arrive wishing me a Happy New Year or just a hello, and it would start again. One day she mentioned she was working on a series of dolls and that was it - I had to know, and I had to SEE. I didn't just admire the handiwork and imagination she showed in her talent - I admired her zest for the craft and her love for her creations. She admitted she had special places in her heart for all of them.

During the inauguration, I expressed my fascination with All Things White House. I'd mentioned how my kids and I were wondering how the White House works, and Nancy wrote that she'd gotten her issue of Nat'l Geographic magazine in which it outlined just that. She didn't wait for me, she just said, "send me your address, I'm done with the magazine and I'll mail it to you." Within a week, it was at my house and we talked about it. That's the kind of person she was.

She really did know how to reach out in just the right ways. And she showed genuine interest in the things I would share with her, It was mutual. She had so much to share.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Nancy liked to bust my balls......but in a good way.
Befade
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday, Nancy.......I feel I didn't know you as well as some of the others.......but now I'm getting the chance to.

Syd.....Thank you for filling in so many blanks about Nancy and the photos of her creatures. I had no idea she was so creative......just thought she had eclectic interests and was a kind presence on the forum.

I sent her a videotape about pre-code when she was starting that forum and she (and Syd) stoked my interest in those films. I didn't really participate in that forum.....but as time goes along I'm going to go back and read and get recommendations.

I remember once she was working as a custodian and not liking it at all. Then she wrote that she got an office job and we were all happy for her.

Marj and Lissa........I appreciate what you shared...

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday, Nancy! Hope you're enjoying the Obama presidency wherever you are. We really had a blast arguing that one! Love ya, lady.
Melody
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Nancy's dolls are incredible! I had no idea. What a talent she had. I found myself tearing up as I looked at them, and then reading what Lissa said about a little piece of Nancy's heart residing in each one. How wonderful is that.

Happy Birthday, Nancy. I'll always have you in my Hillary corner.

Thanks to all who shared their Nancy stories, especially Syd, who knew her like no other.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Nancy - thank you for thinking of me when I had the surgery, and the bits and pieces we sent back and forth. The discussions about different movies, the help with the silent forum, and all the stuff I'm finding out now that I didn't know before.

You're a class act, and we miss ya!

BTW, I just found out about a silent Indian film called Pushpack (1988). I think you would have been interested...

Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I was looking at a book called "The Alien Invasion Survival Handbook: A Defense Manual for the Coming Extraterrestrial Apocalypse" and thinking it would have been a good birthday present for her.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Syd - how are you doing? How are you coping, without the day-to-day presence she brought to your life there? I think of you often, by the way. Nancy would keep me updated on the cat antics whenever she'd visit you, and especially Melpomene (did I spell that right?) and the fun Nancy would have playing with her...

So just know you're in my thoughts and my heart. You're dealing with a physical reminder of Nancy's absence...

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Fairly bored. I went to a science fiction convention last weekend, at which I saw Anne and a lot of other friends. I see Leigh a couple of times a week, and am doing a lot of house cleaning, of which there is a lot to do. My landlord's working on Nancy's apartment and is going to do some on my place too, replacing the sink and air conditioners. Nancy had mice, which I didn't, so I'm keeping a close eye on the cat to see if she notices anything. Space Alliance is doing a month-long exhibit for the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, so that will occupy my saturdays this month.

I'm still reading The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin, and just ordered The Malay Archipelago by Alfred Russel Wallace, who shares credit with Darwin for discovering the theory of evolution by natural selection. Darwin had been busy accumulating data for twenty years when Wallace sent him a short paper outlining the same theory Darwin was working on. So I;m spending a lot of time traveling the world with nineteenth century naturalists.

I'm still trying to find a space of time to watch The Battle of Red Cliff.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
A couple of days after the news of Nancy's passing, I wrote this post over on one my blogs that I use to write more personal thoughts. Given today is a day of remembering Nancy on, I thought it appropriate to repost it here.

May 4, 2009

Losing Someone You've Never Met

Everyday people pass on. Hundreds, if not thousands in the world die on a regular basis. This isn't some sort of war or plague or flu. It's the process of life. It starts and it ends.

This last weekend, an online acquaintance passed away, which was a shock to many of us. I had never met this person, although I had many conversations with her on film and other aspects of life that were discussed on a regular basis on the film forum we both belonged to. It's a tightly knit community that has been going on for many years now. I've been a member for more than five years now.

One of the other forum members lives close to this person and has regular communication with her. His grief was expected since he had actually known her in person. But to those of us that had never met her, the grief and shock was different. Much different. But yet, we all still feel a sense of loss.
My thoughts immediately went to a place of questioning. How well did we know this person? We saw her online persona come out and I'm sure a lot of her personality shone through those posts on movies, TV shows, politics and various life topics. But people are known for hiding their real self behind an avatar, a nickname or a quirky username. And with that veil, they can be a different person for their online communicating.

I seriously doubt someone like Nancy would be that much different. She was in her mid 50's and was very honest in her replies. Not that should be the end all to judge someone that you've never met before, but for those of us that's all we have to go on. We've never had the chance to read the other person's body language, their facial expressions and hear their actual voice. So we take that person at face value, however that translates to a post of words on a web site.

But after hearing the news she had died, I wondered how different I would feel if I had actually met her. I've met online people before and there is a different kind of rapport that gets communicated that you don't feel online. You know the person, but now that you've met in person, you can actually say you know this person.

Yet, there is always something there that not everyone sees, online or in person. Some say it's the soul. Others say it's just a case of common humanity that you see in someone else. I think most people have a general respect for one another and regardless if you've hung out for years or just have seen their name pop up online, you want to not only treat that person with the same respect you would want to be treated with, but part of their real self escapes outside their carbon footprint.

And that's the bond that you share. And the one that feels empty when someone expires. For some it may be stronger, others it may be a temporary sense of loss. But it is loss, none the less. And each time you see that person's name or avatar, you think back to the conversations you had and a small bit of reflecting takes hold and reminds you and that in person or online, humankind makes itself known to those that care to recognize it.

http://martymankins.blogspot.com/2009/05/losing-someone-youve-never-met.html