Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Brian De Palma: A Specialty Forum

Earl
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Whew! I'm glad everyone loves everyone again.

Now that that's settled, I watched The Fury earlier this evening and am ready to go on the discussion for it. Also, Blockbuster Online still shows the status of Dressed to Kill as "Short Wait" on my queue. I believe that's only one step away from "Available," so maybe by the time we are ready to start that one I will have gotten it. If not, I may have to take Lissa up on one of her pirated, er duplicated, copies. But, as Marc suggested earlier, let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

By the way, as long as we are still (technically) on the Carrie discussion, I was wondering if anyone got around to seeing the sequel. I believe it takes place 20 or 25 years later and the premise is that Amy Irving's character is now the principal of the rebuilt high school. And there's this girl who is a student there who can do, um, strange things. I didn't get around to it, but I'm kind of amused by the idea of that character, with all of the trauma she went through and the psychic damage it must have inflicted on her, becoming a high school principal. And, just incidentally, as the lone survivor should she not have been a suspect in that mass killing at the prom? Or at least a person of interest?

Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I may have to take Lissa up on one of her pirated, er duplicated, copies.

Arrrrrrrrr, matey! You oughta see me in my pirate costume...I've only been known to wear my Minnie Mouse ears in public, but the pirate thing...need privileges to call me that...(she says as she feeds the parrot on her shoulder).

In any case - I'll need to know how many copies soon. Betsy's got my address to send me the movie, and I have one taker so far. Can't be a last-minute thing because I'll need to allow for the Post Office timing in different cities. The sooner I know how many copies to create (how's THAT?), we'll be good.

Just put a message in a bottle. I'll get it.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
we'll do THE FURY. After that, we'll assess the situation regarding DRESSED TO KILL. If we have to we'll do BLOW OUT and then DRESSED TO KILL. Cool?

of course.

I'm ready for The Fury. I was serious......I'm wondering if De Palma was in a way predicting events like Columbine with Carrie and The Fury. I found The Fury interesting in its variety of settings and characters and the suspense of wondering what had happened to Kirk's son and would he get together with Amy Irving. I really didn't find the ending satisfying.

(in the minority again?)

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:

I'm wondering if De Palma was in a way predicting events like Columbine with Carrie and The Fury.

I mentioned it in regards to Carrie, but no one took up the subject. Stephen King has discussed it himself.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
According to a new book about the Columbine incident, called Columbine, most of the Info everyone heard and believed about the two perpetrators and their motivation wasn't true.

Quote: "Almost none of that happened, No Goths, no outcasts, nobody snapping,. No targets, no feud,and np Trench Coat mafia. Most of those elements existed at Columbine-which is what gave them currency. They justg had nothing to do with the murders."

So the comparison of Carrie with Columbine is very scant.
Befade
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
That's if you believe that particular book. How does it explain their motivation?

Joe I provided a link to a Stephen King speech where he talks about the roots of gun violence/teen violence. He is very circumspect and does not cast blame in any one direction. I just finished a book called No Right to Remain Silent by the former head of the English Dept. at Virginia Tech. Her slant was that there were ALOT of warning signs and that the administration was unresponsive.

What I was wondering was not if De Palma's films influenced teenagers......but whether......as an artist he was able to foresee the direction of such violence in the future. (artists as forecasters)

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I actually want to read Columbine, Gary is that the recent book by Dave Cullen?

Film and TV violence - as well as videogame violence - gets a bad rap. Yes, there are replications of crimes and have been known incidents of copycat criminals based on TV and film, but in my opinion, we can't blame the media or pop culture for things that go wrong in society.

That having been said - kids, especially teens, are highly influenced by the things they're exposed to, and when Carrie was written (and then released), it was hugely popular. I suppose research can skew the results any which way the researchers want (and I do research, so I know it happens) but I believe it's a combination of factors that lead to violence in society.

But all we need to do is see kids these days, emulating their latest hero. Whether it's the younger set emulating Hannah Montana, or the older set with High School Musical and Wolverine, we really can't discount the presence of these elements in the minds of kids today.

Adults...that's a whole 'nother ball of wax...

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
That's if you believe that particular book. How does it explain their motivation?

Joe I provided a link to a Stephen King speech where he talks about the roots of gun violence/teen violence. He is very circumspect and does not cast blame in any one direction. I just finished a book called No Right to Remain Silent by the former head of the English Dept. at Virginia Tech. Her slant was that there were ALOT of warning signs and that the administration was unresponsive.

What I was wondering was not if De Palma's films influenced teenagers......but whether......as an artist he was able to foresee the direction of such violence in the future. (artists as forecasters)

I read that talk, too. He obviously was going on outdated information, because he thinks the taunting the kids recieved had an impact, and more accurate info shows they weren't taunted at all. I've always thought, and still think, King is perceptive about the cruelty high school kids inflict on each other.

Last edited by Joe Vitus on Thu May 28, 2009 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Lissa,

I recommended Columbine in the Books forum. It is by Cullen. He's done amazing research and it explains a lot of things. Not a pleasant read, obviously, but an informative one.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That "particular book" has received very positive coverage and terrific reviews, including the NY Times.
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that's the book, lissa. And since Joe already commented on the extensive research, I guess I don't have to answer Betsy's comment about believing it.

I haven't read the book. I have read the reviews and like Marc said, they are all positive.
lissa
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks all - from what I read, the book is riveting; the review I read (also stellar) said that it reads like a gripping fiction novel, only of course, we know it isn't fiction.

Will definitely check it out.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I just watched The Fury and don't know how this or Carrie could have had anything to do with Columbine.

I'm off to try to find something to read about The Fury. My initial reaction: What an odd film!

However the more I think about it, the more I think that I'm reacting to how dated the film felt. And Bets, your not alone. I actually broke out laughing during the last scene.

So, why, I wonder does this film feel dated and Carrie does not. Is it because I saw Carrie when it first came out and never saw The Fury until now? I don't think so. But I'm not sure I have an answer, either.
Befade
Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe The Fury feels dated because none of the actors in it have been seen for years. (except Dennis Franz in NYPD Blue)

My comparison to Columbine (hadn't heard of the book.....but I'll read it now) was simply the energy inside a troubled teenager that leads to an explosion.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Piece I just did on Greetings for anyone interested:

http://ferdyonfilms.com/2009/05/famous-firsts-greetings-1968.php#comments