Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Great race. Loved it. Figured he was way too far back for a race that short, and he almost knocked me off my chair when he made that run. If he weren't blocked out early in his run, I am confident he would have overtaken Alexandra, though I never thougjht that at the time until he finally broke through and just rocketed. I love this horse.
Syd
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Damn it. My DVD recorder didn't record it.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Rachel Alexandra was pretty impressive, too, considering she started on the outside. The Belmont's going to be an interesting rematch.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Congratulations to all the married people...

Work is still busy; they've postponed the launch three times, let's see if they can keep the record going. >%^<

billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Rachel Alexandra was pretty impressive, too, considering she started on the outside. The Belmont's going to be an interesting rematch.

Rachel is a gorgeous animal and obviously a champion, but MTB has the underdog persona down pat and he's still my favorite. What a guy! (And don't ask me to stop anthropomorphizing him; it's a natural outgrowth of seeing too many Disney films in my youth.)
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm not the only one who thinks of MTB as a personal hero. Jockey Mike Smith, who rode him after he was "jilted" by Calvin Borel, seems to feel the same way, according to this news report. After the race, the crowd went nuts for MTB.

Smith was moved by an ovation for Mine That Bird.

"He's a tough little dude. ... The greatest part of all, coming back, they gave him that respect," Smith said. "The crowd went crazy. It was awesome. I was crying."
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Here's a must-read for all Mine That Bird groupies:

http://tinyurl.com/qn68ho

Mike Smith, who picked up the mount on Mine That Bird after Calvin Borel took off to ride Rachel Alexandra, called Mine That Bird "the bravest little horse I think I've ever been on.''
lissa
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Two words about the Preakness:

grrrrrrrrrrrl power! (can anyone see my raised "solidarity" fist?)

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
I was just watching the Kentucky Oaks on YouTube. It was held the day before the Kentucky Derby, with Rachel Alexandra winning by twenty lengths over a field of fillies. You see her cross the finish line and it's about four seconds before you see another horse. She must be the best filly since Genuine Risk and Ruffian.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Here's a must-read for all Mine That Bird groupies:

http://tinyurl.com/qn68ho

Mike Smith, who picked up the mount on Mine That Bird after Calvin Borel took off to ride Rachel Alexandra, called Mine That Bird "the bravest little horse I think I've ever been on.''
Indeed, my lord, it is a most absolute and excellent horse.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
HA!

Bravo, Lord Constable!

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Marilyn
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Pat at Doodad Kind of Town has chosen a doozy for the May discussion of The Oldest Established Really Important Film Club. Having just finished watching Lars von Trier's Dancer in the Dark for the first time, my head it just swimming with thoughts, impressions, feelings, and opinions I can't wait to share with my fellow TOERIFC members and all interested comers. If you know this film or want to see what TOERIFC is all about, show up at Pat's place Monday morning. Our previous club meetings have been lively, opinionated, fun, and enlightening. We welcome EVERYONE to take a spin around this dance floor.

http://doodadkindoftown.blogspot.com/
10 am ET.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This week's movie at the K2 Lounge is 8 1/2 :

Quote:
CABARETCINEMA where movies and martinis mix: introduced by Alexei Kaleina. FREE with a $7 bar minimum

Date: Friday May 22, 2009 @ 8:00pm (please note the unusual time).

Federico Fellini, Italy, 1963 (138 minutes)

Guido Anselmi is suffering from "director's block." He is supposed to be working on an ill-defined film but has lost interest amid artistic and marital difficulties. As Guido struggles half-heartedly to work on the film, a series of flashbacks and dreams delve into his memories and fantasies, which are frequently interwoven with reality.

Free with a $7 bar minimum

Introduced by Alexei Kaleina

Alexei Kaleina was born in New York City in 1979 and educated at Vermont's Bennington College and New York University.

Alexei's short films have been shown throughout North America and Europe, most recently through MTV U.K. and in Nottingham, UK, through the installation and exhibition program TV Sky.

Alexei recently finished his first feature film entitled The Afterlight, which he wrote and directed with Craig Macneill.

The Mirror, Mirror series presents cinematic portraits that, like the portraits in the museum's galleries, are not limited by the confines of time. For more information on this series, visit www.rmanyc.org/cabaretcinema.

Upcoming films in the Mirror, Mirror series include:

May 29 - JULES ET JIM introduced by NATHANIEL RICH

June 5 - THE BLOOD OF A POET

June 12 - PASSPORT TO PIMLICO introduced by SIMON WINCHESTER

June 19 - THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS (THE DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES)

June 26 - GASLIGHT

July 3 - Early Start Time 8 p.m. THE MAGIC FLUTE (TROLLFLOJTEN)

July 10 - SANS SOLEIL introduced by IAN BURUMA

July 17 - THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

Once again, please note that because of the holiday this movie starts at 8pm, not the usual 9:30.

This week's password is "After the Fox". Say it and get a free cocktail from the auteur behind the bar.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
billyweeds
Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
http://tinyurl.com/qtafau

For all his intelligence, I loathe David Brooks, and this column is prime evidence of the reason. In the name of "fairness," Brooks says both Cheney and Obama are basically lying about the nature of recent history. But Brooks's real motivation, it's clear to me, is to downgrade Obama's position. God forbid the country should credit him with a new clarity about torture, Gitmo, etc. Brooks insists it's been a slow process beginning with Bush, and Obama is reaping the benefits. Bullshit.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Colin Powell basically said the same thing as Brooks on Face the Nation this morning, but in a much, much less adversarial way.