Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

sioux
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Its taken me several days to figure out what to post, but I just wanted to let you know that I stopped by here on Sunday after I watched last week's Dollhouse, and when I found no one had really posted, I thought to go over to Behind the Curtain to see if anything was up. I was very sorry to read about Nancy - I can't say that I knew her outside of her posts, but she always had an interesting perspective and she seemed to always post as a true fan. I didn't feel comfortable chiming in over behind the curtain because of my fragmented participation in the last several years, but...here where I have been posting, I wanted to express my condolences.

peace
sue
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
That's really sweet of you, Sue. Personally, I welcome your comments would be welcome in any forum, but it's up to you to decide where you like to post.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I missed last week's Dollhouse because I was in London, but after seeing tonight's finale, I think I'm going to have to look it up on the Fox or Hulu sites, whatever, and watch it. The ending of the finale surprised me--as it was meant to--but it does mean the series needn't end here. I hope it's being renewed....
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The finale tonight was curious. I'm not sure why Ballard chose November rather than Echo to be let free. Maybe as an underused Active, she had fewer skills to combat Alpha with, and catching him is still a priority? It may not be safe to let Echo become Caroline again while he's still on the loose.
It's shallow of me, I know, but I can't stand that Victor will never be beautiful again. On the other hand, I hope there's no "miricle cure" that heals the scars completely, because then the sense of consequence to participating in the Dollhouse is entirely lost. If the characters can survive anything unscathed (short of death), that would effectively kill the tension in the show.

I hope the show returns next season.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
He was in love with November, of course. It would be interesting if there could be a follow-up to examine the question of whether she would fall in love with him again, as a different person.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, he was in love with her, but he clearly loves (if is not in love with) Caroline. The whole exposure of the Dollhouse had to do primarily with rescuing her. I don't know if his allegience shifted a bit (from Caroline to November) or if there are other factors. It may be that DeWitt refused to consider releasing Echo at this time.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I think, on retrospect, that November became his priority when their relationship developed, and he probably feels that he can get Echo out eventually.
Earl
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
I've been avoiding this thread because I haven't yet seen last Friday's Dollhouse. It's recorded and I will watch it soon, then go back and read posts about it.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Is there even a Caroline to set free? I just got done watching it and it was certainly interesting. I especially liked how Alpha just assumed he was going to make himself a mate and then she just turned around and kicked his ass.

I assumed Ballard freed November because he is in love with her and I didn't think any further, but - really, did all of the imprints of Caroline get destroyed? I think that the imprint they were fighting over was Wendy.
sioux
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
oh no, it was Caroline's imprint - I'm sometimes easily confused.
carrobin
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Dollhouse can be very confusing, but it's a fun ride even when I'm not quite following every nuance. And it seemed to me that one of the imprints that Caroline/Echo got must have been Faith. Or maybe Mrs. Peel (if there is an imprint of Mrs. Peel, will someone please wire me up and change my brain...)
sioux
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
so, from EW.com:

I just upgraded Dollhouse from "prospects brightening" to "renewed" on my Fall TV Cheat Sheet amidst news that Fox has picked up the show for a 13-episode second season. The catch? Joss Whedon agreed to a drastically reduced budget. (Note to JW: Dumping that annoying Topher dude should free up at least 15K an episode. Just a thought.)

I don't know, joe - if its the future of Dollhouse or Topher's out-of-character abs, can you choose? (tee hee)
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Smile

The funny thing is, he's grown on me.

This drastically reducing the budge thing sucks. But I'm happy it will be back.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
That's really good news. I've greatly enjoyed the most recent episodes I've watched. I still have a couple to catch up on. I hope they can keep up the quality of the show.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
When you get to the finale, post. I'd like to know what you thought of it.

-Topher