Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

lissa
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Susan Boyle is a sensation because of her back-story. Though I would find it insulting if I were known as "the frump who's never been kissed"...she has a nice voice but it isn't knock-out different from a lot of good singers out there. The "Idol" shows bring good voices to light, but nothing like an Eva Cassidy or a Josh Groban, in my opinion. And I've never watched an "Idol" show.

Apparently, Susan Boyle's been upstaged by a 12-year-old. Story here, and video here. He'll blow you away, I promise.

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
He's got a strong voice, but he's going to need a lot of training. (Duh, he is 12, after all.) Boyle is already there.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
I don't see it that way. Shaheen is adorable, cute, loveable with his whole life ahead of him.........that's a huge talent for a 12 year old.. He really energized me.

Susan Boyle is just coming on the scene as far as most people are aware. Ten years ago she sung Cry Me a River.........Why haven't we heard about her until now? Maybe it is because of her appearance........Her two songs show a pretty interesting range.......from Broadway show songs to nightclub siren songs is pretty impressive.

How many people in the public eye have makeovers? Alot of actresses have heavy eyebrows that are tweezed into the perfect arched shape. How many actresses have chin lifts? Some women could use them in their 30's. If Susan was an American would she have altered her appearance and then focused on her voice? We don't have much patience for ugly people do we?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
this shit makes me want to puke. Sorry. instead of lapping up all this manufactured media hype, make your own fucking art. stop living your lives thru the lives of others. susan boyle is a warholian wet dream. shaheen will be forgotten in three months. manufacture your own 15 minutes of fame. what a bunch of sheep!
Marj
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Marc--You'd be surprised at just how many people on this site are doing just that: creating their own art; living their own dream.

Commenting on a media sensation and creating one's own art need not be necessarily exclusive.
Befade
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Well said, Marj. Methinks Marc protests too much.

There's a new video out of Susan Boyle singing I Don't Know How to Love Him from JC Superstar at the age of 25. I think she's lacking there.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/04/23/susan-boyle-singing-aged-25-world-exclusive-video-of-britain-s-got-talent-star-singing-at-family-party-115875-21301644/

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The Susan Boyle story is a human interest story. I, personally, think it's overblown; her talent isn't that of a superstar, despite her lovely voice, but it's just become sad that she's known as the woman who's ugly AND can sing.

But to dismiss it is to dismiss the fact that life is art, and her 15 minutes of fame is the art of interesting events in what might have been an otherwise-normal week.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
the Boyle thing is just so over hyped that, for me, it has lost all of its charm.
Marj
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I tend to agree, Marc. But that's what we get with the Internet. Charm doesn't have a chance to be everlasting.

Thanks, Bets!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy for her, and I happen to think her talent is quite enough beauty for one person. I'm not crazy about Les Miz, so her initial performance didn't wow me in the same way it did many (plus, I already knew to expect she'd have a great voice). I'm happy to see her in the public eye. Better than the annoymous bimbos of whatever the hip teen show of the moment is. It makes me feel good. I like feeling good.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It makes me feel good. I like feeling good.

That clinches it. You are weird. I always suspected that you were one of those freaks who liked something like that. Laughing

I like suffering. That's what life is about. Twisted Evil

On this subject; There was an 8 year5 old boy from a Hutterite colony who slipped into some frigid water and was caught under water for 20 minutes. He was pulled out and comatose. He was rushed to the hospital in critical condition and in a coma. There was virtually no hope for survival. Yesterday after two weeks, he awoke from the coma and according to the doctors he will have a full recovery with no kind of disability. Apparently the frigid water is what saved him. Something that only seems to work for children.

That makes me feel very good and I like feeling very good.

Very Happy
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Best laugh I've had all day, Gary.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Joe, I think coming to the end of your school year has lightened your view of things.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Marc--You'd be surprised at just how many people on this site are doing just that: creating their own art; living their own dream.

Commenting on a media sensation and creating one's own art need not be necessarily exclusive.

I'd like to see Marc comment directly to this excellent retort, not come up with still another reworking of his original (IMO extremely obnoxious) comment.
Macca00
Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally watch shows as the one Susan Boyle appeared on (Britain's Got Talent) because they generally fall into the category of junk TV; the lowest common denominator usually prevails. It's just a short hop from that bastard offspring, reality TV. That said, however, I was impressed by her voice. My sister told me about her & remarked, "It'll make a change from your indie gigs & Jools Holland."
She was right.
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to those indie bands....