Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Befade
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Let's start with De Palma. Let's just start. What film will go first? I want to be ready........Dressed to Kill is the one I have expertise on.

Quote:
waiting to hear from syd, gary, billy, mo, lorne. wade, nancy, whiskey, ghulam, daffy, rod, melody, chilly and the rest of the gang.

Where is Lady Wakasa?

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Good God! Sorry all. I'll delete, but a woman has claimed her father was teh Zodiac killer.

What in the world are you sorry for? These deletions without explanation are annoying and frustrating.
Syd
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marc wrote:
kate, lissa, betsy, marj, joe, earl, marc, bocce

8 for De Palma.

waiting to hear from syd, gary, billy, mo, lorne. wade, nancy, whiskey, ghulam, daffy, rod, melody, chilly and the rest of the gang.

Nancy's laid up with a sprained ankle and probably won't be on for a while. She and I probably won't participate in the forum, but it's fine if you want one.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Since bocce has bailed, I am offering to moderate the Brian De Palma forum.
Is that alright with everyone?

If I end up as moderator, we will discuss the films in chronological order starting with SISTERS (available on DVD in a Criterion edition).
There will be no limit on the time allotted for discussion of each film. As soon as a discussion on a film starts to lag, we will move on to the next.
Here are the films we will discuss in the order in which they will be discussed:

SISTERS
PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE (hosted by Joe)
CARRIE
THE FURY
DRESSED TO KILL
BLOW OUT
SCARFACE
BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
CASUALTIES OF WAR
BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
RAISING CAIN
CARLITTO'S WAY
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
SNAKE EYES
MISSION TO MARS
FEMME FATALE
THE BLACK DAHLIA

GREETINGS, THE WEDDING PARTY, GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT, HOME MOVIES and OBSESSION are out of print on dvd so I'm not including them.

For the purpose of keeping the De Palma forum from turning into a never ending marathon, I've chosen to not include De Palma's comedies HI MOM and WISE GUYS, his videos for Bruce Springsteen or his faux documentary on the Iraq war REDACTED. Of course, anyone is free to inject these films into a discussion as they feel fit.

The SISTERS discussion will begin next Wednesday, May 6.

Is this agreeable to everyone?

If any other SOCIETY members would like to host a particular film, please come forward.

Please cut, paste and save the film list.

All the films that I've listed for discussion are available on DVD.
Kate
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
OK, just ordered Sisters on Netflix. Should be fun.
Kate
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I've never seen Throne of Blood or Ran. Big omissions in my movie-going experience.

Ran is spectacular! I love the Shakespeare idea.
lissa
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll jump in when I can, or want. No way will I be able to find Sisters or The Fury here, nor do I want to see Carrie or Dressed to Kill again. Older films just won't be available at my local Blockbuster - sad, but true, and I can't join Netflix. I'll jump in later on with Scarface and Body Double (if I can find it) and any others I can dig up.

But I'll check in and see how things are going...

Meanwhile, I've got catching up to do - all the good Oscar-nominated films out on DVD, my surround-sound system up and running so I'll be found in my home theater, munching popcorn and reveling in 7-channel awesomeness...

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Since bocce has bailed, I am offering to moderate the Brian De Palma forum.
Is that alright with everyone?

If I end up as moderator, we will discuss the films in chronological order starting with SISTERS (available on DVD in a Criterion edition).
There will be no limit on the time allotted for discussion of each film. As soon as a discussion on a film starts to lag, we will move on to the next.
Here are the films we will discuss in the order in which they will be discussed:

SISTERS
PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE (hosted by Joe)
CARRIE
THE FURY
DRESSED TO KILL
BLOW OUT
SCARFACE
BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
CASUALTIES OF WAR
BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES
RAISING CAIN
CARLITTO'S WAY
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
SNAKE EYES
MISSION TO MARS
FEMME FATALE
THE BLACK DAHLIA

GREETINGS, THE WEDDING PARTY, GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT, HOME MOVIES and OBSESSION are out of print on dvd so I'm not including them.

For the purpose of keeping the De Palma forum from turning into a never ending marathon, I've chosen to not include De Palma's comedies HI MOM and WISE GUYS, his videos for Bruce Springsteen or his faux documentary on the Iraq war REDACTED. Of course, anyone is free to inject these films into a discussion as they feel fit.

The SISTERS discussion will begin next Wednesday, May 6.

Is this agreeable to everyone?

If any other SOCIETY members would like to host a particular film, please come forward.

Please cut, paste and save the film list.

All the films that I've listed for discussion are available on DVD.

Cool. It's a shame we can't do Greetings, which I liked a lot. It's really wrong that the movie hasn't been released on DVD.

-Topher
bocce
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
I'll jump in when I can, or want. No way will I be able to find Sisters or The Fury here, nor do I want to see Carrie or Dressed to Kill again. Older films just won't be available at my local Blockbuster - sad, but true, and I can't join Netflix. I'll jump in later on with Scarface and Body Double (if I can find it) and any others I can dig up.

this is exactly the reason i "bailed" from moderating the forum and why i am "bailing" from third eye. all these films are readily accessible if you're interested in finding them....

the problem is that few seem interested in making the effort. i was more than willing to go to the expense and trouble to make and distribute copies of "GREETINGS" but no one seemed interested...there was NO feedback for weeks about this forum...

fortunately, marc has some popularity amongst y'all and was able to push this thru. i wish you all the success in the world with it...

but i'm afraid i'm past disgusted with you...
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Bocce,

I totally missed your post about distributing Greetings. Geesh, I'd like a copy just for my own entertainment, forum or no.

Lissa,

I assure you that your local Blockbuster carries Carrie, and very likely has Dressed to Kill and Blow Out.

-Topher
lissa
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
My one place to rent from is blockbuster. There's nothing independent in my area, and I can't join NetFlix here in Canada. The Canadian equivalent will be a chunk of change for someone without a job.

I also don't have the big bucks to order films to buy them. I don't work, and movies are a luxury in my budget.

I'm beyond trying to prove that I'm interested - but just like those people who live in outlying areas without major releases playing near them till months later, I have a rental problem.

And frankly, I don't care why you're bailing, bocce. If you were interested in making it work, you wouldn't quit.

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Joe - I'm sure the first two are available, but those movies fall under "horror" for me, and I'll have nightmares. Sorry (remember - me <== wuss... Wink )

There are some films on the list I'm interested in discussing - I am probably the last person to not have seen Body Double and I'm hoping Blockbuster has it. If not, I'll check my local library which surprises me with its vast collections sometimes. And I'll look for others. It's just tough to do vintage film when Blockbuster plays to the mainstream. That works for when the big films come out on DVD but it's hard to get good, independent stuff.

That having been said, happily and surprisingly, Story of O is available at my local Blockbuster. Go figure! (even though it isn't as good as the book)

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Lissa,

I can understand you're not wanting to watch Carrie or Dressed to Kill.

But are you familiar with Blow Out? It's a political thriller, though there is a psycho and some murders in it.

-Topher
bocce
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:

And frankly, I don't care why you're bailing, bocce. If you were interested in making it work, you wouldn't quit.

and , frankly, i think you're a bimbo (i have for years...it's refreshing now to be able to say it). why don't you think about losing the photo with the bad 80's clothing and bad, bad 80's hair for a start...

then, you might want to work on the "earth mother" personnna a bit...you suck at it...
Kate
Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Bocce - shut up.