Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Marj
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
That's the only reason I could think of for the comma too. I really think you're right.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
Almost forgot to mention that I saw Role Models on DVD and laughed my ass off. This is one of those "crude" comedies that absolutely works. With a wonderful cast including Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Seann William Scott and the great Jane Lynch, it transcends obscenity. Rudd is one of my favorite youngish leading men, and the fact that Jon Hamm of Mad Men--my absolute favorite youngish leading man--credits Rudd with being one of his best friends and a big reason for the contacts he (Hamm) has made in the business only makes me like Rudd more.

Marj, are you listening?
Rod
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still starts well, quickly proves a wretched embarrassment. The original's humanistic detail shorn for clodhopping would-be thrill sequences and the level of discourse has shrunken to kindergarten class. The scene between mother and adopted son that's supposed to provoke Klaatu to save the human race only inspires genocidal tendencies towards contemporary Hollywood screenwriters. Second shit remake of a '50s sci-fi film (other: The Invasion) I've suffered through in two days.

Last edited by Rod on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin' in Superbad) is also in the cast of Role Models. That movie, repeat, is really worth checking out.

Superbad, of course, is a must, one of the few movies of the past couple of years to rate that word.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
marantzo wrote:
The Asphalt Jungle[/i], which may be the greatest movie of it's genre,....ever.

Not in my book. In my book that title goes to The Killing, starring...Sterling Hayden.

It is a hard category to pick the best in. So many wonderful movies of the type. The late 40s and 50s were years when these noir pictures set a standard that hasn't been topped. Even the lesser of the group are a pleasure to watch. The Killing is, without doubt, in the pantheon of cinema noir gods. Laughing The Killers isn't chopped liver either.

Damn, I avoided Role Models because I was not impressed with the preview. Sort of a reverse of what comedy previews usually do.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm with Billy (or is he with me?) 100% about Superbad.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Rod, your assessment of The Day the Earth Stood Still is in line with every review I have read, and I read a lot of them looking for a glimpse of hope that it could be worth seeing. A couple of them noted that Keano's performance was the best thing in the movie, which was an indication of the quality of the whole.
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Billy: I might have check Role Models out. I hadn't realised Banks and Lynch were in it. The previews didn't make it look that good.

I really liked Superbad.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like I've got TWO films to check out! Thanks guys.

And Jane Lynch is one of my favorite actresses - wish she'd get more leading roles, she has the chops for them.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Looks like I've got TWO films to check out! Thanks guys.

And Jane Lynch is one of my favorite actresses - wish she'd get more leading roles, she has the chops for them.

Role Models
is arguably Lynch's funniest role to date. She's amazing. Some of her lines come out of left field and take you completely by surprise. Of course, her delivery is priceless.
Rod
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
marantzo wrote:
Rod, your assessment of The Day the Earth Stood Still is in line with every review I have read, and I read a lot of them looking for a glimpse of hope that it could be worth seeing. A couple of them noted that Keano's performance was the best thing in the movie, which was an indication of the quality of the whole.

Signs of intelligent life come from far, far too brief appearances by James Hong and John Cleese. Kathy Bates plays a villainous Secretary of Defence with all the aplomb of an ice cream stand attendant impatient for cigarette break. Yet another mindbogglingly ordinary performance from Jennifer Connelly. Reeves is boring, though to be fair the character as presented here is too: a kind of intergalactic Al Gore with less charisma (if that's conceivable). All the deft, calm, slightly alien elevated intelligence that Michael Rennie possessed is lost in space and with it the dramatic and moral center of the film. But really it's the stupid director's fault and the even stupider writer who spends too much time bringing new MacGuffins into the plot and not enough working out what to do with them. Andrew O'Hehir was stunningly right when he called it a patchwork quilt of leftover lines of dialogue from other films.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Some of her lines come out of left field and take you completely by surprise. Of course, her delivery is priceless.

Lynch is good at that - case in point, A Mighty Wind and Best in Show. But she has a versatility that needs to be tapped more than it is. I guess I'm heading up the street to rent Role Models..!

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Quote:
Some of her lines come out of left field and take you completely by surprise. Of course, her delivery is priceless.

Lynch is good at that - case in point, A Mighty Wind and Best in Show.

Even better case in point, The 40-Year-Old Virgin. But Role Models, Lynch-wise, is just as good.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
There was simply no need to remake The Day the Earth Stood Still, anymore than there's a need to remake Gone With the Wind. When a movie both so spectatularly achieves its aims, and becomes an iconic movie of it's period to boot, best to leave well enough alone.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe,

there were reasons to re-make THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. The original was in black and white and no one going to movies today saw the original. The gospel according to Hollywood.
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Which is why we got the remake of All the King's Men. Maybe of Psycho, too, but I don't think that was a Hollywood film.