Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

lissa
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't make it clear, I love it too

Nawwwww, not at all, I couldn't tell - tell me more!

(*grins* j/k)
Wink

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Excuse me for missing it.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
lissa
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
No need to be defensive, Mo - it's in the title bar at the top of the page, not in the article itself.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
No need to be defensive, Mo - it's in the title bar at the top of the page, not in the article itself.

Hey, I realize that. No problem.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
By virtue of the fact that he includes it in a list of "Great Movies" - Ebert's deeming the movie great. He qualifies his feelings, discusses extraordinary moments, and seems to just have enjoyed the ride. I don't think he needed to say it was great in order for one to see that he is enamored of it.

I've never seen it but from Ebert's review, my curiosity is piqued!

I get it! No need for a long explanation. Thank you.
lissa
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
First of all - you edited your sarcastic "excuuuuuuse me" to which I replied about your defensiveness. Cute!

Secondly - my post about the "great" thing was more my own remarks than an explanation to you. mo, you need to chill just a tad...

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
First of all - you edited your sarcastic "excuuuuuuse me" to which I replied about your defensiveness. Cute!

Secondly - my post about the "great" thing was more my own remarks than an explanation to you. mo, you need to chill just a tad...

Internet communication is far from perfect. I edited my remark so as not to be misunderstood. No offense was intended.
lissa
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
No offense was taken. But changing history doesn't change intent. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one who saw your original post so my remark on it seems out of place only to those who didn't.

Case is closed, anyway - let's move on, but you do need to not worry so much about what other people say or think...lay back a bit.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Not knowing that I had never seen In A Lonely Place, I caught it on TV a couple of years ago and after about twenty minutes I realized that I had never seen it. A dark and disturbing movie indeed. An excellent movie. I saw it again a short while ago, but I didn't make it all the way through, it was just too unsettling for me. If it were my first time seeing it I would have stuck with it like I did when I first saw it. Rebel Without A Cause was definitely not a great movie, but it was entertaining even though it could be trite as hell in it's depictions of youth and authority. Colour was great and there were some great throwaway lines from Dean.

Hayden was fantastic in Dr. Strangelove. Also, The Asphalt Jungle, which may be the greatest movie of it's genre,....ever.
Marc
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
billy,

I don't know how I missed your parenthetical comment about loving REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.

I agree with Lissa about going back and editing or deleting comments after someone has commented on the comment. It's cheating and often compounds a problem my making the person who reacts to the comment look like they're babbling to themselves. Which is insulting. Either you are willing to stand by what you say or not. I only go back and edit a comment to change spelling, correct a factual mistake or elaborate on a point. If I insult someone or overreact, I let the comment stand as it is. If I later deem the comment out of line, I will apologize. But, I believe in letting it all hang out and taking shit for when I've let my tongue get the best of me.

mo, you are waaaaaay too concerned about what people think about you in here. You constantly delete posts that you think might be construed as offensive or argumentative. As Lissa said, chill out. No one is judging you. And if they do, frankly my dear you shouldn't give a damn.

Last edited by Marc on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
The Asphalt Jungle[/i], which may be the greatest movie of it's genre,....ever.

Not in my book. In my book that title goes to The Killing, starring...Sterling Hayden.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Marc and Gary et al--One of the greatest things about In a Lonely Place is the title. It appears to refer to the site of the murder, but by the end of the movie it clearly describes the leading character's soul.
Syd
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I pretty much have Marc's philosophy, noting I do a lot of spelling corrections and elaborations. I did go back and correct my review of 7th Heaven in Pre-Code because I had the wrong actress playing Janet Gaynor's sister. (Unfortunately Gale Sondergaard is still in the review in the Third Eye Film Reviews. She played the part in the remake.)

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Marj--Thanks for the eloquent defense of Good Night, and Good Luck. (Note the comma in the title, btw.) You make some very good points. I will probably see the film again on the strength of what you wrote. No promises, however, about changing my mind. I thought it was really, really dull.

Thanks Billy. And yes, I know there's a comma in the title. I used an appressant (sp), and just an abbreviated title so I avoided the whole thing. But truthfully, without going into another English class, I've never understood why it's there.

And I don't expect you to change your mind. I think the movie tries very hard to be All the President's Men, but it's such a cerebral exercise that it can never be. And truthfully, any movie about talking heads has got to weary at times. Still, I'm so glad they never dumbed it down. Now that would have been horrific!
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
But truthfully, without going into another English class, I've never understood why it's there.

I think it's supposed to mirror Murrow's reading of the line. There was always a pronounced pause before the last three words. He may even have written it down that way. In any case, it's not a grammatical issue. It's all about Murrow.