Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Syd
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'm sure we'll get around to the shoe film forum eventually.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:

This new forum could have been started at any time, if there was interest. I certainly have never had any objection to it. I understand that the subject is to be DePalma. I really have nothing to say about that, so I'm not planning to participate, but I would encourage others to do so. Frankly, most of the topics that have been suggested for this genre forum don't interest me. I'll join in when I have something to say on a topic I am interested in.

well, nancy, i wasn't particularly interested in your and syd's "pre-code" forum either but i read it, watched and contributed just as i did with the silents forum and i learned a lot despite my ambivalence...

as for the smart assed "shoe forum'" comment, it might be better than listening to two people contributing 90 % of posts to a forum that has dragged on for over a year....

surely, if you don't care for de palma or whatever, you can come up yourself with another suggestion just as you did with "pre-code" rather than just seeming bored with the entire concept. it's kind of like dressing medieval...so many choices for the afficionado...

the main problem, frankly, is that we have a weak moderator and a generally lazy audience. nothing against ehle personally but i never quite got him in this role from the jump. one way or the other we can't do anything without him and who knows where he is...

all that said, most of you have become used to me being the pain in the ass about this issue since i consider it more relevant to a film forum than birthday greetings amongst members and i will continue to needle y'all until you wake the fuck up...
Marc
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
How anyone interested in film would have nothing to say about the man who directed the following films is bewildering.

GREETINGS
THE WEDDING PARTY
HI MOM
SISTERS
PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE
OBSESSION
CARRIE
THE FURY
DRESSED TO KILL
BLOW OUT
SCARFACE
BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
CASUALTIES OF WAR
RAISING CAIN
CARLITO'S WAY
FEMME FATALE
THE BLACK DAHLIA
REDACTED

If Brain De Palma doesn't float your boat, how about
Peckinpah
Leone
Cronenberg
Lynch
Ashby
Mike Nichols
Roeg
Tony Richardson
Arthur Penn

or the following genres/subjects
Horror
The 70s
Subversive cinema
Sex in the movies
Rock and roll movies (I'd love this one)
The 60s
Earl
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I was actually a little surprised by Bocce's comments simply because I had assumed (wrongly, it seems) that a Brian De Palma forum was in the works. I remembered that he had stepped up and volunteered to moderate it and I thought he was using the time since then to do some research. I did not know the idea had been scuttled.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
I also thought the DePalma Forum was a go, also. I happened to find the Pre-Code Forum very interesting. I knew very little about the films and wasn't really able to participate, but it was enlightening.
Marc
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
FROST/NIXON was wasn't nearly as gripping as the Checkers Speech. Dull, dull, dull.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
I also thought the DePalma Forum was a go, also. I happened to find the Pre-Code Forum very interesting. I knew very little about the films and wasn't really able to participate, but it was enlightening.

I liked the Pre-Code Forum, too. I wasn't able to contribute as much as I wanted, but I loved Nancy and Syd's posts and thought it was very successful.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
FROST/NIXON was wasn't nearly as gripping as the Checkers Speech. Dull, dull, dull.

This comment is so hyperbolic. The movie wasn't an emotional typhoon, but any film that includes a performance as skilled as Michael Sheen's take on David Frost is not "dull, dull, dull." I will concede that Langella was overpraised. But Ron Howard did a fine job of synthesizing very complex material and making it into a convincing two-hour movie.
lissa
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I knew very little about the films and wasn't really able to participate, but it was enlightening.

I wasn't able to read all the Pre-Code posts that had been up by the time I came back, but the thing is, enlightenment aside, I WANT a forum I can contribute to - I enjoy being a part of something, not sidelined. That's why I'd love a specialty forum topic that's more to the center than an outlier.

Besides, isn't the whole idea of any forum for people to be active participants? Otherwise it wouldn't be a forum, it'd be a seminar. Or, in this case, a webinar. I appreciate the hard work Nancy and Syd put in, but I'm pretty sure they'd have liked the masses participating as actively as they. Moderating isn't lecturing, it's inciting the contributions of others. Sorta like a book-club leader.
Cool

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
As to the rare stuff, I remember how we dug up "Casanova" (Marc made some copies that turned out not to be needed) for the Fellini Forum, and we found other rare stuff for the Zinnemann Forum. Enthusiastic members have been willing to mail copies of hard-to-find DVD's in the past. Some rare stuff is out there on VHS...and is cheap.
The DVD "Forbidden Hollywood" was a great resource for Pre-Code. Other movies could be seen on TMC. Even if one was just able to watch the 3 movies in "Forbidden Hollywood," it was an excellent introduction to a fascinating era in films.

But NONE of this should be an issue with DePalma. His works seem readily available.
Marc
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

this would be considered hyperbolic only by people who didn't find FROST/NIXON dull dull dull. Having been politically aware during the Nixon years, FROST/NIXON didn't reveal anything to me that I didn't already know.
So, the pacing of the film and the acting became my focus and I didn't much care for any of it. The whole tired concept of actors playing real people addressing the camera as is done in documentary films is lazy. Don't explain the story, show me the story. None of the actors (including Sheen with his perpetual plastic smile) were memorable. Langella did a passable Nixon impression, but that's about all. The whole movie was lethargic. I was hoping for more. But, considering it's a Ron Howard film I should have known better.
Syd
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'd say dull, dull, dull is a little hyperbolic. A single dull would suffice. I had about the same reaction I had that I did with Good Night and Good Luck, that it was earnest, reproduced the time period fairly well, and was really peripheral to the real drama, which was Watergate itself.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I saw and heard Nixon enough times when he was the disgusting veep and the disgusting prez so I really had no interest in the movie. I liked Good Night and Good Luck very much.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I found Good Night, and Good Luck...dull, dull, dull. Compared with that oversold mediocrity, Frost/Nixon was an emotional typhoon.
Marc
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK was more or less incomprehensible if you didn't have a pretty thorough knowledge of the McCarthy hearings and Edward R. Murrow's legacy. It presumed a lot. If you were under the age of 50 and knew little of McCarthy and Murrow you were shit out of luck.