Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marc
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The Brain That Wouldn't Die is going to be re-made as a musical.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:

Today I read that _The Diary of Ann Frank_ is a musical.
(on the stage, not a movie)

Rolling Eyes
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Gary--I have this weird feeling that you're referring to one of the worst horror films ever made, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, which stars Virginia Leith as a disembodied head, and she looks a little bit like Nancy Davis. Could this be the one? It is indeed side-splitting.

No. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one, because it was Nancy Davis in the credits. Unless I dreamed it. I'm going to look up the movie you mentioned and see if the story line rings a bell.
Terese
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
marantzo wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Gary--I have this weird feeling that you're referring to one of the worst horror films ever made, The Brain That Wouldn't Die, which stars Virginia Leith as a disembodied head, and she looks a little bit like Nancy Davis. Could this be the one? It is indeed side-splitting.

No. I'm pretty sure it wasn't that one, because it was Nancy Davis in the credits. Unless I dreamed it. I'm going to look up the movie you mentioned and see if the story line rings a bell.

Is this it:

[url]http://www.alibris.com/moviesearch?qwork=100014371&matches=4&browse=1&mtype=V&actor=Nancy+Davis&cm_sp=works*listing*title[/url]

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
No, Therese, we just discussed Donovan's Brain.
Terese
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
D'oh Very Happy

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:

Terrific! I can't wait.

Isaacism, 2009
Marc
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
new forum ideas?

man, getting a rise out you people is like trying to bring a corpse to orgasm.
Marc
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
bocce was right. this place is dead. happy birthday to all of you who will be having a birthday from this day forward. i've done my duty. i'm returning to the land of the living.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Amazing, Marc. You stay away for months on end and then, when your life enters crisis stage, you come back, welcomed sincerely by everyone here--supported, encouraged, ostensibly helped. Then some time passes, and you begin to move on, and then...we don't discuss film on your terms. Even though some of us, despite our own busy schedules, still find time to check in here, see movies, dispense our opinions about them, etc., it's not enough. Special fora must be implemented, yesterday, or we got no Marc. Well, so be it. Good luck, old friend, and see you around some time.
lissa
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
Marc, does that mean you're going to do a second Top 5 list on Facebook?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
billy,

I'll gladly participate in a new specialty forum. In the meantime, the noise to signal ratio in here is out of balance. Too much off-topic chatter. I measure the value of this place by whether or not I would invite a film buff to join Third Eye. Right now, I would not. It's not a forum I am proud of. Too much apathy, not enough vigor.

You all have been wonderful in your loving support and I appreciate it. I am not demanding that Third Eye conform to my demands. I just wish it were more of what it was intended to be: a vital film discussion group. The political forum is getting more action than any of the film forums. I don't know know why the political forum is still on this site. The election is over and politics really has no place being in a forum devoted to film and the arts. There are plenty of places to discuss politics - try the Huffington Post. While there seems to be plenty of energy amongst us to discuss politics, there seems little for creating a new specialty forum. We have lost a lot of members in the past year. Many members visit briefly and then leave for long periods of time. There is so little to compel them to stay. I think a well-chosen specialty forum can revive Third Eye.They have in the past. But, the forum must be devoted to a subject that has broad appeal and which consists of films that are easily accessible to everyone.
Marc
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Marc, does that mean you're going to do a second Top 5 list on Facebook?

I have done many Facebook top 5 lists. I do the ones involving the arts. I think they're instructive. Its the giving of gifts, cocktails, poking people etc. that I find banal and idiotic.
lissa
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Marc, how is off-topic chatter perfectly okay when it was you we were discussing? And how is off-topic chatter inappropriate when relegated to the proper sections? And how is anyone expected to stay on topic 100% of the time even IN movie-related forum sections when we're all human and veer off from time to time?

What you're asking for is the very reason Third Eye began in the first place - the moderators at the NYT were deleting anyone's posts which were deemed off topic. Wasn't the idea of this place for everyone to lay back and be who we were alongside film talk?

If you'd like to start a film-related subject, do so. But instead of complaining that no one else is doing what you want to do - model it. You started a horror-film discussion, why not go other places too?

I just get the feeling you're pissed because no one's taking the helm. You're more than welcome to do so, if you've something specific in mind. But don't take everyone else to task for not falling in line with your standards.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
marc wrote:
I don't know know why the political forum is still on this site. The election is over and politics really has no place being in a forum devoted to film and the arts.

Because people want it. I'm always surprised that you're so single-minded about this forum. First you didn't want any television, now no politcs after the election.

This site started as a reaction to the Times sight censoring our subjects, limiting it to what they wanted us to discuss, rather than what we wanted to discuss. We were looking for a place where we could discuss what we wanted in freedom. What most people want is a mirror of the discussion groups we used to enjoy over there. That's what this site has become.

In other words, "what Lissa said."

-Topher