Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
lissa wrote:
I'd love to do a Woody Allen forum...he's evolved tremendously, as an actor and a filmmaker, and his films are widely available on DVD.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd probably participate in that, although I don't think he's evolved as an actor for quite a while. It would be nice to watch Love and Death again. Allen's got a range from some very good films to some of the worst I've ever seen, sometimes within a couple of years of each other.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Love and Death is a great movie. One of my very favorites among his movies.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
"Love and Death" brings back some warm memories of a guy I knew back then--though "Annie Hall" is what really reminds me of him most sharply...

Back when I was with the film course, we saw every Allen film that came out, usually at the Beekman Theater. But the last film of his I saw was "Melinda and Melinda," and when I caught a bit of it on IFC recently, I couldn't even remember what it was about.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
So where is the DePalma Forum?
Color me baffled.
Can someone contact Lorne and ask him to crank it up? Isn't it that simple? Then perhaps a little guidance from the moderator or peeps just jump on in with posts.
============================
I have The Wedding Party (1969) around here somewhere. The dvd cover features DeNiro's mug prominently despite him having limited screen time in a rather minor role.

I am equally baffled, gromit.
lissa
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'd love the chance to revisit Love and Death as well as the opportunity to see some of the films I've missed of Woody's.

I'd even love to include Wild Man Blues which was his concert tour in 1998 (I own the disc - bought it on Amazon for 8 bucks last year after seeing him in person).

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
bocce had announced that the DePalma forum would start on May 1, which it isn't yet, so I don't see why he is complaining about people not participating. In my case, I'm in a lot of pain, I'm not getting much sleep, and I'm really too tired to participate in a forum right now, even if it was on a topic that fascinated me. I'm also behind on watching movies, for the above reasons. I had mostly stayed out of this discussion for a long time, to give the people who would be participating in this forum a chance to work out the details among themselves. I do wish you luck, and I hope the forum is successful.

Isaacism, 2009
bocce
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
bocce had announced that the DePalma forum would start on May 1, which it isn't yet, so I don't see why he is complaining about people not participating. .

i complained about the general complacency regarding the specialty fora. i sent ehle an email agreeing to host the forum. no response even tho he has posted subsequently, so i know he's at least alive but without an active go ahead i've made other plans...

my attitude is frankly, fuck it...y'all worry about other issues and i'm going to move along just like mel, yambu and, apparently, jeremy and whiskeypriest...

happy birthday, by the way, you'll soon be 5 years old...
Marc
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I could bear a Woody Allen forum.

Last edited by Marc on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
We don't need a moderator. What we do need is Lorne to set up a new specialty forum as soon as we decide on one. Let's come to some kind of agreement on a new forum by the end of this week. Alright? And then we need someone to lead the forum. And by lead, I mean keeping things on topic, deciding when to shift a discussion in the direction of a new film etc.
So far, we've had Woody Allen and Brian De Palma. Neither have received an earthshaking response. More suggestions, please.

And Nancy, please participate in whatever capacity you can. Our community is starting to dwindle, We need all the help we can get.

I am going to suggest Horror movies.

So, we have WOODY ALLEN, BRIAN DE PALMA, HORROR.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll support a Horror forum as long as it's not exclusively Mario Bava, Dario Argento, and other arty, cultish foreign types. I will insist on including Monster on the Campus, The Horror of Party Beach, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and that sort of stuff as well.
bocce
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Let's come to some kind of agreement on a new forum by the end of this week. Alright?

i love your balls, but you're pissin' in the wind with this crew...
lshap
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I love Woody Allen, but my time is pretty limited these days and I doubt I could contribute much to his, or any other Specialty Forum.

But more fundamentally, I think Joe correctly noted that it's simply the shitty season for films. We go through this annual bitch session about lack of interest, lack of participation, etc, etc, etc, but the phase passes, as it always does, good films arrive and people come back, as they always do, and we get back to our regularly-scheduled, dynamic, on-topic bitch sessions.

That said, if you arrive at some consensus I'll be happy to set up a new forum.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'd go along with Horror. The Creature from The Black Lagoon wasn't horror, it was horribly boring. I have no idea why it was liked by anyone. I heard it was real good so I took a streetcar downtown one evening and saw it on a double bill with a western. The western was good (I forget what it was though) and then came TCftBL. Phooey!

Horrors at the drive-ins were a treat that most can't experience nowadays.
lissa
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The two horror films I enjoyed of late were The Others and The Orphanage (if indeed they qualify). Other than those, and the dearth of horror availability at my local Blockbuster, I'm out.

I'd even go for de Palma (if someone could post a viewing list so I can make sure they're rentable) over Horror if I can't get Woody Allen.

There is just no chance of finding the good old-fashioned Creature Features at Blockbuster, and I'm not into slasher horror or Friday the 13th.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
We go through this annual bitch session about lack of interest, lack of participation, etc, etc, etc, but the phase passes, as it always does, good films arrive and people come back, as they always do, and we get back to our regularly-scheduled, dynamic, on-topic bitch sessions.

Totally agree, and was true even back on the Times forums.

-Topher