Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
Interesting remarks about "Love in the Afternoon" which I haven't seen for awhile.
Gary Cooper looked much older than his 57 years in that film. He died 4 years later from prostate cancer. He may not have been in the greatest of health during the shoot. In any case, he doesn't look well. Hepburn was 30 years younger.
I've never thought that she had an 'American' accent. She was born in Belgium and spent her youth in England. She has a unique accent. I heard Jennifer Love Hewitt talk about it when Hewitt played Hepburn (Hepburn is her idol) in a movie for television. Hewitt wasn't as bad as you might think in the movie...and her remarks about Hepburn's accent were spot on.
Cary Grant was 4 years younger than Gary Cooper but looked _much_ younger, IMO. In 1963 when he starred with Audrey Hepburn in "Charade," there wasn't the same kind of problem with age differences as in "Love in the Afternoon." Grant retired from romantic roles in 1964 at age 60.
Regarding Billy Wilder, he'd been writing screenplays since 1929 in Germany. In the U.S., his frequent partner was I.A.L. Diamond.
gromit
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
I should have said that she her speech is American style and her English unaccented (especially compared to dear old Dad ... Chevalier).
Agree that Cooper looks unwell in L in the A.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Those negative comments about Psycho, Some Like It Hot, and The Apartment have me open-mouthed. Gad, you people are a tough house. Greatness doesn't come much greater than those three.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Those negative comments about Psycho, Some Like It Hot, and The Apartment have me open-mouthed. Gad, you people are a tough house. Greatness doesn't come much greater than those three.

IMO "Psycho" and "The Apartment" are masterpieces.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I can see how Psycho could be classed as a masterpiece, but I don't agree about the other.

Just on an enjoyment level, I've enjoyed any number of Wilder and Hitchcock movies better than those two. Psycho more because I found it kind of ugly, but The Apartment more because I just didn't like it that much.

Does anyone remember One, Two, Three? A delightful romp. Don't know if it has those commas.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I can see how Psycho could be classed as a masterpiece, but I don't agree about the other.

Just on an enjoyment level, I've enjoyed any number of Wilder and Hitchcock movies better than those two. Psycho more because I found it kind of ugly, but The Apartment more because I just didn't like it that much.

Does anyone remember One, Two, Three? A delightful romp. Don't know if it has those commas.

I remember "One, Two, Three."

I believe that Hitchcock himself was fairly modest about "Psycho" and perhaps surprised with its success. He made it with his TV crew on the Universal backlot. It probably was not an expensive production compared to his usual movie fare. "Vertigo" and "Psycho" are my favorite Hitchcock's with "Rear Window" a close third.
IMO the film was tremendously influential and way ahead of its time. After all, the plot (do I REALLY have to mention any kind of a _spoiler_ for us??) was unheard of at the time...and is still disturbing today. Its very unusual and controversial plot structure no doubt continues to influence current movies.
...Maybe I should revise "masterpiece" to "personal favorite."
I like "The Apartment" because it succeeds on so many levels and is so dark.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nancy
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
My favorite bit in The Major and the Minor is at the dance, when you suddenly see that ALL the girls have Veronica Lake-style peek-a-boo bangs.

Isaacism, 2009
bocce
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
wilder was one of the handful of directors to out "hitchcock" hitchcock (in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION)...

others have been carol reed (THIRD MAN), sidney pollack (THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR) and brian de palma at his best, not to mention several european directors (rene clair) and jules dassin (who i know was an american but operated primarily in europe)...

this (the out "hitchcocking" hitchcock) might actually make an interesting forum topic were anyone interested in talking about film stuff rather than the relative value of facebook as opp to myspace....

Last edited by bocce on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget to include Chabrol in your list of Hitchcockian European directors.
bocce
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
no, i didn't forget him or clouzot either. they are being held for the possible forum which is, in fact, impossible since we have an absentee moderator and a group with the attention span of a seven year old who are more interested in congratulating birthdays and nuptuals than film...

lest this seem harsh, let me temper it by saying that it, in fact, goes WITHOUT saying that i wish gary and daffy the best and, since i don't give a shit about my own birthday, it's hard to get fired up about anyone else's...
lissa
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Due respect, bocce, those well wishes are being offered in a forum section reserved for off-topic conversation. I know you're frustrated over no new forum discussions, and while specialty forums might not be something I could contribute to on a regular basis, I support your request for one - and have to wonder why you keep getting ignored... Cool

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Of all Billy Wilder's great movies--and I include Sunset Blvd., Some Like It Hot, The Lost Weekend, and Double Indemnity--I think none is greater than, or indeed as great as, The Apartment. The mix of comedy and drama (in fact, near-tragedy) is so unusual as to be unique, and the acting by Lemmon, MacLaine, and MacMurray is simply stunning. Gary, I really think you should see it again and reassess. Plus which it has one of the five greatest endings in cinema history. And possibly the best use of wide screen of any black-and-white movie. And great music. I could go on and on. In short, it's one of the most deserved Best Picture Oscarwinners in history.

I'm not crazy about One Two Three (the jury's out on the commas). Too frantic and hyperactive, though Cagney is a lot of fun.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I find Some Like it Hot completely unfunny. It's very fifties: how shocking that men can dress like women, how shocking that they use double entendre ("theIf it's dull now, it's surprising that Billy Wilder got away with it at the time.

The Apartment has never appealed to me, and I think it comes down to the same issue. The anti-heroes Lemmon and MacClaine play and the acknowlegement of a dirty, urban corporate world must have been a relief for many to see in the age of the The Organization Man. But at this point, its par for the course and more than a little dull. Lemmon's character should have dropped out and become a beat with MacClaine as his hep cat wife. And of course they should both swing.

Psycho is another issue entirely. It's so well-constructed and atmospheric that it still works, even if we've gone beyond it in terms of screen content. I never found the movie scary, but I always found it fun; the asylum scene with Norman taken over completely by "Mother" is both darkly humorous and the most unnerving moment in the movie.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It may be "One, Two, Three." See this link:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4272856320/tt0055256

On the other hand (according to the original movie posters) it may be "One Two Three," each word in a separate balloon.

billy - you can go 'comma-crazy' and send in a correction to the imdb.com ...which seems to be wrong about this title. They include the commas on their web page for the film.

Cool
Nancy
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Due respect, bocce, those well wishes are being offered in a forum section reserved for off-topic conversation. I know you're frustrated over no new forum discussions, and while specialty forums might not be something I could contribute to on a regular basis, I support your request for one - and have to wonder why you keep getting ignored... Cool

This new forum could have been started at any time, if there was interest. I certainly have never had any objection to it. I understand that the subject is to be DePalma. I really have nothing to say about that, so I'm not planning to participate, but I would encourage others to do so. Frankly, most of the topics that have been suggested for this genre forum don't interest me. I'll join in when I have something to say on a topic I am interested in.

Isaacism, 2009