Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Nancy
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
But the minute Night at the Museum 2 is out, I'm going - alone or not, and this year my birthday is the most talked-about date in the industry; Harry Potter opens that day, and we're going to see it in IMAX 3D.

I'm certainly hoping there will be something suitable to see on King Kamehameha Day, otherwise known as my birthday. Preferably with explosions and senseless violence.

Isaacism, 2009
lissa
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Nancy, cool person to share a birthday with - my list is less exciting (unless you count Donald Sutherland and David Hasselhoff, Camilla Parker-Bowles and - Lorne will like this - Vince Guraldi). No royalty. Camilla doesn't really count.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
17 Again was all I had hoped it would be and a little bit more. It's sort of Freaky Friday meets Back to the Future with a more satirical twist in the great supporting performances by Thomas Lennon and Melora Hardin as an unlikely middle-aged romantic team.

Matthew Perry wants to relive his promising youth and recapture what he lost in the meantime. He gets his wish, becoming the Zac Efron he once was. A twice-told tale but very well told this time, with Efron no Michael J. Fox (the comparison is all but inevitable) but a likeable presence who holds the center of the film with ease and Perry using his somewhat world-weary image with skill and a kind of charm. Leslie Mann (a fine actress and surprisingly a dead ringer for Yvette Mimieux) is the wife who is dumping Perry but...if you can't figure it out you need to retake Film Cliches 101, but it doesn't really matter. The movie is a disarming treat with some genuine belly laughs courtesy of Lennon and Hardin, he as the best friend of Perry turned faux father of Efron and she as the hot school principal. Don't ask. Please don't ask. But do see.

Last edited by billyweeds on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
I had high hopes for 17 Again when I saw the previews. Previews of comedies can be the most deceptive though, because they often show all the best parts in that 5 minute or so stretch and the movie ends up being a dud. I'm happy to hear that this one probably will live up to my expectations.

By the way I haven't seen any current movies lately because Marta's daughter and almost three month old granddaughter are here with me. Happily Isabella, Marta's granddaughter, is wonderfully entertaining.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
I always wondered what happened to Mimieux. Am I mistaken or did she marry some big guy and just quit the game?
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I always wondered what happened to Mimieux. Am I mistaken or did she marry some big guy and just quit the game?

She married Stanley Donen, divorced, and remarried. She became an anthropologist and successful in real estate. Here's the link on the imdb.com :
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0590796/bio
Syd
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
lissa wrote:
Nancy, cool person to share a birthday with - my list is less exciting (unless you count Donald Sutherland and David Hasselhoff, Camilla Parker-Bowles and - Lorne will like this - Vince Guraldi). No royalty. Camilla doesn't really count.

I have Donald O'Connor, Shania Twain, Jennifer Coolidge, Jack Black and, on my exact birthday, Wayne Osmond! And Scientific Amercian magazine and SF Writer Jack Vance, who's 92 years old.

And my birthday is the feast day of St. Augustine of Hippo, thus also the anniversary of the founding of St. Augustine, Florida.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
marantzo wrote:

She married Stanley Donen, divorced, and remarried. She became an anthropologist and successful in real estate. Here's the link on the imdb.com :
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0590796/bio

This isn't surprising to me. Mimieux always projected an intelligence often belied by the lame roles she usually played.

(An exception was her very touching turn in Light in the Piazza, as a mentally challenged but--obviously--luscious young woman.)
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe the first time I saw her was in The Time Machine. A very good picture and she was enchanting.
Nancy
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:

I'm 8 days older than Kathleen Turner, and about a month younger than Pia Zadora, whatever that means.

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Atom Egoyan’s “Adoration” is a convoluted and riveting work. The story starts simply enough. Teenage Simon (Devon Bostick) visits his dying grandfather in the hospital. The film gradually reveals that the teen is involved in a school project with his French teacher Sabine (Arsinee Khanjian) involving the translation of a real-life terrorist incident. Simon is preparing a report on his parents, the perpetrators this crime.
The film is like an onion. Just when you think you’ve got a handle on what’s going on, it’s time to peel off another layer. Egoyan cuts to another character and a whole new aspect of the story is revealed.
Sabine is a mysterious figure. She is intelligent, captivating, and manipulative. She is determined to use Simon to get to the truth about his family.
The film also involves the internet, mobile phones, video, cyber-technology, chat rooms, etc. It is perhaps the best exploration of this technology so far on film. As opposed to concentrating on the bells and whistles of cyberspace, Egoyan concentrates on its personal and character-driven implications.
The viewer thinks that the twists and turns of the story will never end. The out-of-sequence plot is not always easy to follow. But all is finally resolved. A thought provoking picture.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch for that one, mo.
gromit
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I think most of Egoyan's films deal with video, technology and deconstruction. I think I've only seen his early Felicia's Journey, which had some interesting ideas, but was pretty messy.
I'll keep an eye out for Adoration.
Apparently his last film, Where the Truth Lies, was an attempt at commercial rewards. I like the title, but didn't hear anything positive about the film.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
I have seen Atom Egoyan's Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter. Both were fine thought provoking movies, but neither was memorable.
Syd
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
That's odd, I find The Sweet Hereafter to be one of the really memorable movies of the 1990s. Haven't seen Exotica.