Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Syd
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
YouTube is now carrying episodes of shows, including David Attenborough's The Life of Birds. I notice that he now not only has a starlight camera for night vision, but apparently a time-traveling camera for photographing pterosaurs, Archeopteryx, "terror birds" and moas. A lot of the first episode takes place in New Zealand mountains where the takahe are barely hanging on and the kakapo used to live. (The kakapo were thought to be extinct, but a remnant population was found on another island and moved to two other islands where there aren't mammalian predators, and are making a bit of a comeback.)

I hope they eventually get some of his other series, especially The Life of Mammals.

You can watch the shows here: http://www.youtube.com/shows

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I may have mentioned before that a friend of mine, when I told him that the star of "House" had once played Bertie Wooster, absolutely refused to believe me.

Laurie was also in a number of episodes of Blackadder. I think Fry was in some as well.

Isaacism, 2009
carrobin
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Laurie was the wacky Prince Regent in "Blackadder." I agree that Fry was in it too, but I don't remember his role--it's been a while. Wouldn't mind seeing that series again.
Nancy
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Laurie was the wacky Prince Regent in "Blackadder." I agree that Fry was in it too, but I don't remember his role--it's been a while. Wouldn't mind seeing that series again.

I think Fry was in one of the WWI episodes.

Isaacism, 2009
Earl
Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody else still watch The Office? I was just wondering if I'm alone in thinking the quality of the show is rapidly sinking. I keep watching it because of how good it used to be and I really want it to be that good (or at least come close) again.

In the last 3 or 4 episodes there has been one decent laugh. Michael, who has announced rather melodramatically that he was quitting Dunder-Mifflin, was using his computer to search for a new job. There were growling, snarling and roaring noises coming from his computer and Michael had a confused look on his face. Jim, who could hear the strange noises from where he was sitting, quickly put two and two together and called out, "No, Michael, it's monster dot com. Singular. There is no 's' at the end." Michael tried the new URL and got what he wanted.

I'll keep watching The Office until the end of this season. I hope they hook me.

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
The Office has indeed been fairly lame recently. But NBC is making up for it with the new police show Southland, which is part Hill Street Blues, part The Shield, and all mighty worthwhile.
lissa
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
Haven't watched Southland but I heard it was one of those, like Prison Break, which was supposed to be shown on an HBO or Showtime channel but got picked up by a network. The commentators discussing it this past weekend, on my local radio station, said that swear words are bleeped out - is that true? I have to question that, and wonder if it's a distraction. I heard it's compelling but that its approach to language makes one wonder too much about form and not enough about substance. Why bother putting in the language only to bleep it out and annoy the audience?

Could you enlighten me, billy? If it's good, I'll watch (always looking for something new to get hooked on).

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Haven't watched Southland but I heard it was one of those, like Prison Break, which was supposed to be shown on an HBO or Showtime channel but got picked up by a network. The commentators discussing it this past weekend, on my local radio station, said that swear words are bleeped out - is that true? I have to question that, and wonder if it's a distraction. I heard it's compelling but that its approach to language makes one wonder too much about form and not enough about substance. Why bother putting in the language only to bleep it out and annoy the audience?

Could you enlighten me, billy? If it's good, I'll watch (always looking for something new to get hooked on).

I can only speak for myself, of course, but the bleeping is terrific. It lets you know that the words they speak are the ones people in these situations would speak in reality, not some euphemism devised for TV. The bleeping, we all know, exists because it's on network TV, but it lends an authenticity to the show. Try it; I'll be surprised if the bleeping turns you off.
Marc
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
billy,

I'm waiting. Don't want to start without you.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Go for it. I'm primed. Just make sure it has something to do with the television shows we've been discussing, as Bea Arthur's military service had to do with a movie actress who just died and was being discussed in The Lobby. Okay?
Marc
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The mere thought of Bea Arthur has put out any sexual fires that may have been smoldering within my ragged carcass.
Syd
Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marc wrote:
The mere thought of Bea Arthur has put out any sexual fires that may have been smoldering within my ragged carcass.

Well, yeah, there is that.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
OMG. SNL. The best episode of this often terrible series in years. Justin Timberlake is some kind of a genius--singing, dancing, clowning, playing keyboards. Is there anything this guy can't do?

Ciara is sexy and sinuous and sensational.

Jimmy Fallon playing Barry Gibb as a talk show host--possibly his finest moment ever.

Bill Hader and Fred Armisen as Elliot Spitzer and David Patterson, planning their television cop series "Horndog and Blurry" and high-fiving each other in hysterical fashion.

Seth Meyers making hay out of the marriage of Peter Skarsgaard and Maggie Gyllenhaal and their vowel-heavy names.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, and Leonard Nimoy sucking up to Trekkies to get cred for their new, potentially treacherous movie.

Susan Sarandon and Patricia Clarkson playing cougar moms in a hilarious digital video with Timberlake and Andy Samberg.

Mucho other hilarious stuff.

An amazing outing.
carrobin
Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Yes, last night's SNL gave some hope that there's life in the old dog yet. Can't help but wonder if Tina Fey contributed to the script.
warpedgirl17
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
Earl wrote:
Does anybody else still watch The Office? I was just wondering if I'm alone in thinking the quality of the show is rapidly sinking. I keep watching it because of how good it used to be and I really want it to be that good (or at least come close) again.

In the last 3 or 4 episodes there has been one decent laugh. Michael, who has announced rather melodramatically that he was quitting Dunder-Mifflin, was using his computer to search for a new job. There were growling, snarling and roaring noises coming from his computer and Michael had a confused look on his face. Jim, who could hear the strange noises from where he was sitting, quickly put two and two together and called out, "No, Michael, it's monster dot com. Singular. There is no 's' at the end." Michael tried the new URL and got what he wanted.

I'll keep watching The Office until the end of this season. I hope they hook me.

Yeah they haven't been as funny as they use to be. I still think it's really funny though. I will keep watching too. That was a funny part where they type in the wrong web address.