Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  PRE-Code: a Specialty Forum

Nancy
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I think I have Dodsworth around here somewhere. You reminded me that I need to watch it.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
gromit wrote:

I wasn't that impressed with Chatterton in Frisco Jenny. Her acting seems a bit forced and calculated. It is a pretty good film, maintaining a brisk pace. I liked the female gangster story, but the family melodrama was a little silly.

Did you see Chatterton in Female? It makes her performance in Frisco Jenny seem natural in comparison.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
at 8 pm this evening EST, TCM will be playing WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933)...

i can't tell you how much i encourage you to see this as it is one of the first "socially conscious" films to come out of pre code hollywood and becomes a major theme from here on...

really a breakthrough film...
gromit
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933) is on Vol 3 of Forbidden H-wood.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Since it is now April:

Possible pre-codes on TCM in April:

Apr. 5 - Flying Down to Rio (1933)
Apr. 7 - The Animal Kingdom (1932)
Secrets (1933)
Apr. 8 - Suicide Fleet (1931)
Carnival Boat (1932)
The Tip-Off (1932)
You Said A Mouthful (1932)
Professional Sweetheart (1933)
Apr. 9 - They Learned About Women (1930)
Apr. 11 - The Kennel Murder Case (1933)
Apr. 14 - The Divorcee (1930)
Little Caesar (1930)
Bombshell (1933)
Apr. 18 - Double Harness (1933)
Apr. 20 - Dinner At Eight (1933)
Apr. 24 - The Road to Ruin (1934)
Apr. 25 - Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1932)
The Champ (1931)
Apr. 26 - Broken Lullaby (1932)
The Kiss Before the Mirror (1933)
Apr. 27 - Captain Applejack (1931)
Captain Thunder (1931)
Apr. 28 - Looking Forward (1933)
One Man's Journey (1933)

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
[Note: This is also on page 1 of the frum so you can locate it easily.]

Nancy Peay, who contributed so much to this forum, died on May 2, 2009. Many of her reviews can be found here. At some point, I intend to do an index of all the discussions on the forum, including hers. She loved contributing to the Pre-Code Forum, and it wouldn't have worked without her.

This is the obituary I wrote for Nancy. I'm submited it to the Norman Transcript and to Havenbrook Funeral Home. Note the website where you can send condolences.

Quote:
Nancy Ellen Peay was discovered passed away at her home on the morning of Saturday, May 2, 2009 in Norman Oklahoma. She was born on June 11, 1954 to Marion and Homer Peay in Ada, Oklahoma, and went to high school in Ada and in Del City. She graduated from Del City High School in 1972 and from the University of Oklahoma in 1985 with a major in Anthropology. Nancy was preceded in death by her parents. She had no siblings or children. Surviving her are her uncle, Larry Morris, her cousin, Ray Morris, and hundreds of friends. Nancy worked for Flanigan’s costume shop until 1995, and continued to make dolls for the rest of her life. She also worked for the Physical Plant at the University of Oklahoma and for Health and Human Services for the State of Oklahoma. Nancy was a member of the Norman Oklahoma Science Fiction Association since its inception in the 1970s, and was active in other fan groups, often chairing the film room of conventions. Nancy was well-known for her love of movies of all times and countries, especially for obscure science fiction and horror films. She was always happy to find an obscure and unusual film. Many of her reviews can be found at the Third Eye film forum http://www.thirdeyefilm.com/phpBB2/index.php . She was a member of the Society of Creative Anachronism since the 1970s. There will be a memorial service/wake next week. Call Syd Henderson at 321-4027 for more information. There will also be a wake in her memory at the SoonerCon science fiction convention in Oklahoma City the first weekend of June. Send condolences online at http://www.havenbrookfuneralhome.com/Obituaries.htm
Submitted by her friends

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Just clicked into the forum, and saw her post right above yours. Brings the shock back.

Heartbreaking.

I said something similar BTC, but I'll speak again: great account of her life told with love by a true friend.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Joe: I know. Same thing happened to me. I do hope Nancy got to see Dodsworth. Not that it's that important but because she wanted to.

Crying or Very sad
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It's a great thought.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
And a really good movie.
Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
This would have been Nancy's 55th Birthday, or, as we would have called it, King Kamehameha I day. I met Nancy in 1980 at a meeting of the Norman Oklahoma Science Fiction Association. If it was the first meeting I attended, it would have been the evening before Thanksgiving. The first movie I remember watching with her was Plan 9 from Outer Space at an afterparty for the first convention I ever worked on, which would have been the Norman Conquest in the spring of 1981. That fall, NOSFA began a club apazine, which was called NOSFA's Apa-Pi. Our notion of an APA was that the members who wished to contribute should make enough copies for the print run, which was fifty during much of its history. Nancy contributed in the first issue and most after. I began in the second issue, and contributed to every issue through #210 in October of 2005, a display of stubbornness akin to Bush's Iraq Strategy or Florence Foster Jenkins determination to be a opera star.

We worked frequently on conventions in the 1980s, especially on those thrown by NOSFA, which included Norman Conquest, Congestion in 1982, and several Psurrealcons in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The Oklahoma City science fiction club, Star-OKC, threw fourteen annual conventions (Soonercon) in the 1980s and 1990s, and we both worked on the early ones until we learned our lesson. Nancy generally ran or co-ran the film room, which meant that people got to see a great variety of science fiction films, both stylistically and quality. In other words, you could get both Forbidden Planet and Amazon Women on the Moon in the same night, perhaps with a couple of zombie movies and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Nancy was a member of NOSFA when it was called OUSFA. At some point in the late 70s, Oklahoma University decided to stop letting student organizations use OU as part of their names because, I guess, they might be embarrassed by an association. The particular association they were trying to avoid was with the OU Gay Lesbian Alliance. A year or two later, sanity prevailed (although the GLA didn't take the OU back), but by then NOSFA had gotten into nasal sex jokes and it was too late to turn back.

Nancy went to OU off and on over about eight years, finally graduating with a degree in Anthropology. She might have finished sooner if she hadn't gotten sidetracked by courses in Film History and English Literature. She knew more about 18th century English Literature than I wanted to know, including the unexpurgated version of The Monk. (You can tell it's unexpurgated by the last page. I don't know the details, but I suspect it's dirty.)

Among the exploits she liked to tell about was her essay on "Clint Eastwood as Gothic Heroine" (inspired by Play Misty for Me, and inviting Anne Silas to a class showing of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, where they sat in the front row snacking on beef jerky.

She and Anne wrote about the German-American director Gertrud diLouzi, who began directing the silent "Little Adolf" films starring a future artist and politician. They also began writing about happenings in Swanson County, Oklahoma, which is famous for its balmy beaches, ski slopes and petting zoo, whose mascot is Fluffy the Porcupine. I also became a reporter for that, writing about Mt. Swanson, the only active volcano in Oklahoma, and covering the Swanson County Olympics. (I was the host, which was why they were called the Sydney Olympics.)

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
Nancy was a long-time member of the Society of Creative Anachronism, which is the group that goes out in the woods and fights each other in armor and medieval type weapons. (The weapons are generally facsimiles made of relatively soft materials, or there wouldn't be too many surviving members.) They also have revels at which they drink mead, eat medieval type food, and generally ignore that medieval Oklahoma didn't have too many castles and catapults. (It did have bows and arrows and coup sticks.) Nancy was often part of the shield wall although she also fought with weapons, including the quarterstaff. She could handle a shield heavier than many of the men.

The local chapter SCA also started the Medieval Fair in Norman. Nancy used to go in costume. For many years, she worked at a costume shop in Norman, which is how that business started, and branched into making stuffed animals and dolls, which she and another woman used to sell at a booth. When she found out the other woman was cheating her, Nancy went free-lance. I don't know how profitable the business was, but there's also the satisfaction of creating something.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
Lissa was asking for some pictures of Nancy's dolls, and here are a few from Leonard Bishop's collection:
A Wizard
http://chapters.nss.org/ok/quiz/Picture%2027.jpg
A Dragon (it looks like a sea-dragon)
http://chapters.nss.org/ok/quiz/Picture%2032.jpg
The Nutcracker
http://chapters.nss.org/ok/quiz/Picture%2035.jpg
The Mouse King from The Nutcracker

This one is the demon from "Night on Bald Mountain" in Fantasia.

I think this one is a ghoul, but I'd have to ask Leonard. It looks like part of the "Night on Bald Mountain" series
http://chapters.nss.org/ok/quiz/Picture%2043.jpg

Nancy often worked from patterns when she was doing the Medieval Fairs, but I think the last four are originals. I know for sure the demon is, because I had to play that section of Fantasia several times so she could get the snout right.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
What I'm looking for are pictures of Hindu cats. Those did start out as patterns, but then she modified them.

Nancy was widely versed in film history, going back to the very beginning, including the work of DW Griffith, Erich von Stroheim, Keaton, Chaplin, Fatty Arbuckle, Harold Lloyd, Rudolph Valentino, Lillian Gish--and that was just the silent period. She took classes in Westerns and Horror, which still doesn't explain the Gamera films, not to mention God Monster of Indian Flats, which you really shouldn't see. She had an encyclopedic knowledge of chopsake films. On the other hand, I was the one who was heavily into animation and got her into watching that.

When she got used to the Internet, she eventually discovered its true purpose, which is to track down obscure but intriguing films from around the world. She had a long list of movie purchase sites, which included sources for silents, for Asian films which hadn't been theatrically released in America, and for thirties films which had never been commercially released on DVD. Without that, we wouldn't have been able to keep the Pre-Code forum going as long as we did. Eventually, she discovered NetFlix, which is why you suddenly started seeing all those reviews for Ossi Oswalda films, and Jeanette MacDonald musicals, often without Nelson Eddy.

Eventually, I want to set up an index of reviews on this site, so you can go to them directly.