Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

warpedgirl17
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
Macca00 wrote:
warpedgirl17, I'm sorry if I seemed a little harsh in my response to your post. It's just that, like hopefully all the other Third Eye posters, I consider it scandalous that the work, influence & legacy of people like Honeyboy Edwards is either glossed over or ignored altogether. FWIW, I haven't heard the new U2 album. Seems to have received mixed reviews; most of the write-ups in the UK press were pretty lukewarm.

I do like Honeyboy Edwards. They play him on a local radio station here in Salt Lake City called KRCL. They have different music and news programs on the station. When they have the Blues music program on the station they play some great Honeyboy Edwards songs on there as well as some other great blues musicians! That's how I got into his music. I was not ignoring the post.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
warpedgirl,

check out WHITE LIES immediately!
warpedgirl17
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
warpedgirl,

check out WHITE LIES immediately!

I'm already a big fan of White Lies!Smile They have awesome music!

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
and GLASVEGAS is the shit!
Marc
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
I saw WHITE LIES perform in Austin at SXSW. It was one the best live shows I've ever seen. They were spectacular. I hope they aren't a flash in the pan.
Terese
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
Lucky you Marc, I saw them on Letterman recently and was totally mesmerised by the lead singer's voice. Awesome, and I love this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3P4MAwdBtI

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Hey, I like that!

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
Me too - thanks Terese!

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
and GLASVEGAS is the shit!

I'm a big fan of Glasvegas too! That's lucky you got to see White Lies live! I would love to see them live.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I saw WHITE LIES perform at SXSW at a large club (Stubb's) packed with several hundred jaded music industry people. When the band tore into their first song, the audience went from being a bunch of cynical old turds into starstruck fans. There were guys my age (in their 50s) bouncing to the music, grinning from ear to ear and and blurting out stuff like "these guys are fucking great!" Bands rarely get this kind of reaction from people "in the business".

WHITE LIES have the potential to be the next U2 if they keep the quality of their songwriting at a high level. Right now, they're the best thing I've seen in years.
warpedgirl17
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
A band I think everyone here should check out if you haven't already is Miniature Tigers. Miniature Tigers is a band I got into last year. They are from Phoenix. They are a rock band with very cool songs. Their songs are very catchy with creative fun lyrics. The first song I heard from them was The Wolf in 2006. After I heard that song I was hooked to their music!Smile I've seen them 2 times live and will see them again in May when they come back to Utah! I've met them and they are a nice and fun bunch of guys! I even got to play tambourine on stage with them the last time I saw them live! That was fun! Great band live too! Right now they have Darren from Phantom Planet playing with them. They sort of sound like Weezer, the Beach Boys, Phantom Planet and some sort of different sound all together. They have just 1 album out and 2 eps. Their album's name is Tell It To The Volcano. You can find it at local record stores, at their live shows or online.

So, I think that everyone here should go check out Miniature Tigers! They have a Myspace where you can hear their music. You can also listen to them on Last fm and Youtube. After you listen to them tell me what you thought of them!

Last edited by warpedgirl17 on Wed May 20, 2009 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Just got Last Night's Fake Blood playing on Last FM, and you're right, wg, the Mini Tigers are great! Thanks for the recommendation!

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
Just returned from seeing Leonard Cohen live in Dallas. He performed for over 3 1/2 hours. 75 years old and as alive as ever. What an amazing man.
Befade
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm going to see him tonight in Phoenix.............I hope I can last 3 1/2 hours
and I'm only 65.

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
B,

please give us a review of Cohen in Phoenix.