Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Nancy
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Forbidden Hollywood 3 has arrived. They really went all out on this one: 6 films (plus their trailers), 2 documentaries, and a number of shorts and cartoons. Well worth the money.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Rented Happy-Go-Lucky from Netflix. It's not a good sign when you keep hoping someone will strangle the main character in a movie. Sally Hawkins plays Poppy, an extremely irritating young woman who goes through life trying to annoy the hell out of everyone around her. She's supposed to be cute, perky, and likeable, but she drove me up the wall. This movie reminded me of Me and You and Everyone We Know, a movie that I disliked intensely. I had been looking forward to this film, which I expected to really enjoy. Instead, it was two hours of cinematic torture, and was easily one of the worst films to come out last year. A big disappointment, and not recommended. (I didn't put a spoiler alert because I really didn't give away any spoilers, except that the film is dreadful.)

Isaacism, 2009
gromit
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Vol. 3, but only Midnight Mary rose to the level (almost) of Babyface and Red-Headed Woman from Vol. 1.
(Vol. 2 hasn't surfaced yet).

Really it's an early 30's William Wellman box set, but slapping the Forbidden H-ollywood label on it is of course sexier.

The Wellman docs contain some good interesting info, but they tend to repeat each other, and the talking head and clip format got a bit tiresome.

Wellman seems like an ass, but made good films for a long time. Ox-bow Incident and the Story of GI Joe are impressive later Wellman films. And of course Public Enemy is a classic early Wellman.

On Vol. 3, the short mystery films with Donald Meeks were pretty lame, seemed like filmed radio plays or something.

Last edited by gromit on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
I couldn't make it thru Happy-Go-Lucky, as I hated the driving instructor more than the annoying Poppy character. The two of them together were a nightmare.

I liked You & Me & E-- a fair amount, but when I re-watched a year later (recently) I found it kind of dull and somewhat tacky.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

On Vol. 3, the short mystery films with Donald Meeks were pretty lame, seemed like filmed radio plays or something.

It's Donald Meek, for the record.
gromit
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
gromit wrote:

It's Donald Meek, for the record.

Sure, but I watched three of those clunkers.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Wellman seems like an ass, but made good films for a long time. Ox-bow Incident and the Story of GI Joe are impressive later Wellman films. And of course Public Enemy is a classic early Wellman.

wellman was reportedly a jerk to work for (particularly actors) but what an amazing repertoire of films. in my opinion he vies with raoul walsh as the best director of 30's and 40's action films. and that's not saying a small bit when you consider the other contenders...like john ford...
Befade
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rented Happy-Go-Lucky from Netflix. It's not a good sign when you keep hoping someone will strangle the main character in a movie.

Nancy......you make me want to rent it just so I can agree with you! I did like Me and You, etc. alot.

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to see it - I wonder if the experiment to making the film was to elicit those very reactions of "too happy, must die" from people..!

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Befade wrote:
Quote:
Rented Happy-Go-Lucky from Netflix. It's not a good sign when you keep hoping someone will strangle the main character in a movie.

Nancy......you make me want to rent it just so I can agree with you! I did like Me and You, etc. alot.

I liked it better the second time I watched it, without comments from the peanut gallery. The first time, I had problems with the structure; it was hard to see how things fit together.

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote
finally caught up with ACROSS THE UNIVERSE last night...

i found it a fun piece of fluff without a lot of substance but visually stunning. a few of the beatle covers were inventive and well rendered by a generally appealing cast...

i thought the overall production design and, in particular, several sets were dazzling though i shouldn't have been surprised given taymor's background and resume...

all in all not the worst two hours i've spent rolling the dice on a film which got mixed reviews here...
Rod
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Government gives Rod money to go out and stimulate economy; Rod stimulates DVD retailers:

Bande à part - just watched: does rock
Queen Margot
The Killers (both versions)
Assault on Precinct 13 (Guy behind counter: "That's the original you know". Rod: "I know. The remake's crap."
The Wages of Fear
Tokyo Story (at last, I will see an Ozu)
Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Mr Arkadin/Confidential Report

Branded To Kill
The Fallen Idol
Army of Shadows
Becket

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
Rod wrote:

Bande à part - just watched: does rock
Queen Margot
The Killers (both versions)
Assault on Precinct 13 (Guy behind counter: "That's the original you know". Rod: "I know. The remake's crap."
The Wages of Fear
Tokyo Story (at last, I will see an Ozu)
Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Mr Arkadin/Confidential Report

Branded To Kill
The Fallen Idol
Army of Shadows
Becket

Good choices, the ones I've seen, except for Becket, which I find a classy snoozer, and Mr. Arkadin, which is not nearly as good as Welles cultists would have it. Would love to see the Ronald Reagan Killers, which I've never viewed. The Fallen Idol is simply astounding, as are The Wages of Fear and (to a slightly lesser degree) Sunday (no comma) Bloody Sunday.
Rod
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
I don't need you to tell me how The Wages of Fear is. Or Sunday no comma Bloody Sunday.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Rod wrote:
I don't need you to tell me how The Wages of Fear is. Or Sunday no comma Bloody Sunday.

Sorry for attempting to comment on your comment. Somewhere I had gotten the impression that this was a forum, not a Rod Heath website.