Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Rod, tsk tsk -- you can be such a whiny whanker yerself. Smile

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Ha ha, you little shit.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
Rod wrote:
I confess to not being able to get into TV on the Radio at all. It's chiefly about their whiny lead singer. I forgave Win Butler and The Arcade Fire for his whiny voice, chiefly because he achieves so much overcharged emotion and their music is so fervent. TV on the Radio just sound like another art-pop band who've listened to too much new wave.

Los Campesinos, on the other hand, rock severely.

I don't think Win Butler has a whiny voice. I love Arcade Fire and am a big fan of theirs. Tv On The Radio isn't my favorite band but they are ok. Mostly the only album I like of theirs is Return To Cookie Mountain. That's about it.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
warpedgirl17 wrote:
Rod wrote:
I forgave Win Butler and The Arcade Fire for his whiny voice, chiefly because he achieves so much overcharged emotion and their music is so fervent.

I don't think Win Butler has a whiny voice. I love Arcade Fire and am a big fan of theirs. Tv On The Radio isn't my favorite band but they are ok. Mostly the only album I like of theirs is Return To Cookie Mountain. That's about it.

Having seen Arcade Fire live and meeting Win Butler in person, I can agree it's not a whiny voice.

Now if Rod would have mentioned Billy Corgan... that's a whiny voice, but I think he uses it to his advantage.

juepucta
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
"Yelpy".

-G.

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
juepucta wrote:
"Yelpy".

-G.

Billy Corgan yelpy? Let me go listen to "Zero" and "Muzzle" again to see if "yelpy" comes to mind....

Macca00
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Noticed a couple of clever mash ups on YouTube recently.
Beatles' "Come Together", U2's "One" & a bit of the Supremes & Mariah Carey:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aKoBye__Txw .
Duffy's "Mercy" & Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love":
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W9916NO1oCY .
jeremy
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Good stuff.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Marc
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Lux Interior lead singer of THE CRAMPS has died at the age of 62.

I loved THE CRAMPS and Lux was one of the all time great rock and roll showmen, right up there with Iggy and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. A sad day for rock and roll.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
This is about the recent performance of "Honeyboy" Edwards, a 94 yr. old blues musician who recently appeared in Taos. His performances in Albuquerque, Sta. Fe, and Taos were sold out. Wish I had made it...but couldn't get a ticket. "Honeyboy" performs on the road all year long.
----------------------

David Honeyboy Edwards-
Kachina Lodge, Feb. 6, 2009

I want to jump the queue here before Jim’s review. For me, the highlight of the Honeyboy Edwards show came after an audience member (the bearded gent who felt compelled to provide a running commentary throughout the set) inquired of Mr. Edwards about the notable players he had known. When Honeyboy nonchalantly began to recount his memories of Charlie Patton, I was stunned. Patton’s been gone 75 years now; it was like hearing someone say they’d met Madame Curie, Winsor McCay, or Bonnie and Clyde, all of whom also died in 1934 (as did Holst, Elgar and Delius.). I’m still trying to comprehend the implication of this man’s recollections (and what recall: in a London Times interview from last year, Edwards describes witnessing Robert Johnson’s death: “Now, when he died, August 16, 1938, that was on a Tuesday, I come over there an’ I was around 23 years old. Robert was 27 then. He got poisoned out there, a little place called Three Forks. He had been playin’ out there for pretty close to a year. They had a roadhouse out there called Juke House - white whiskey, gamblin’. Robert started goin’ with the man’s wife, an’ she a good-lookin’ woman. An’ the man got him.”)

David Edwards is the sole remaining original practitioner of a particularly American musical idiom (unless you count Pinetop Perkins; I do but I don’t), which in turn paved the way for the greatest of all 20th Century art forms. There is no truer expression of life as art than that of a classic American Blues singer. Honeyboy Edwards defines the genre.

-Michael Mooney
mooney@taosnet.com

PS To the tactless dude who felt compelled to shout, “How does it feel to have lived long enough to see a black president,” here’s the answer: “Matter of time. That’s all it was.”
------------------------------------
Honeyboy Edwards is ninety-four years old. It would be easy to list all the changes this country has gone through since 1915, from race relations to technological advances, and marvel at what David has witnessed, like a real life Forest Gump. But that’s not what makes Honeyboy Edwards special to me.

Honeyboy doesn’t just play The Blues; untold thousands of musicians can make the same claim. What separates him from almost all the others is that he has also lived The Blues- born in 1915 and raised in a Mississippi where slavery had become known as sharecropping, and most African Americans were still looked at as no more than chattel. He survived by becoming a musician, and along the way played with such legendary Bluesmen as Robert Johnson and Charley Patton.

The Blues aren’t just about bad times; they’re about everything that happens in life. Joy, frustration, and relationships are all part of what Honeyboy and the true Bluesmen express through their music. What’s unique about him is that he hasn’t musically changed with the times. Sure, he plays an electric guitar some of the time now, but if you close your eyes you could be in a Southside Chicago tavern in 1952, or a juke joint hidden off Highway 61 in the 30s. After opening his Kachina show with (I think) Muddy Waters’ Rollin’ Stone, Edwards played the standard Sweet Home Chicago before being joined by Michael Frank on harmonica for the rest of the set. After about forty-five minutes, Honeyboy put down his guitar and talked about some of the people he played with in the past, and answered a few questions from the crowd before taking a break.

Mr. Edwards survived the changes that occurred in the last ninety-four years of our history, from The Great Depression and WW II onward to the present day. He also survived as a blues musician, an extremely endangered species these days. In the 1930s Honeyboy played for people trying to break free of the drudgery of everyday life. These were folks who worked too hard for not enough pay, just trying to escape their problems for a while. In 2009, those in attendance at The Kachina Lodge are also worried about jobs and money, and they, too, want to leave their everyday world behind for an hour or two. If you look deeply at David Honeyboy Edwards you will see that he continues to show us through his Blues that whatever happens, we will deal with it and roll on. Some things really don’t change.
- Jim Webb

webbjuice@comcast.net
http://loftholdingswood.blogspot.com/
warpedgirl17
Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I just bought the new U2 album on Tuesday when it came out. I love the new U2 album! I think it's a really great album! Has anyone else listened to it too?

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
warpedgirl17, just in case you're tempted to post adulatory pieces about Bono & the boys, take some time out to read & truly consider mo's post. I saw Honeyboy Edwards in Liverpool in the early 90s. For an hour or so he held an entire audience spellbound with nothing more than a miked-up acoustic guitar; it wasn't just his performance, brilliant though that was, but his anecdotes, too. I'm delighted to read that he's still gigging.
warpedgirl17
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Macca00 wrote:
warpedgirl17, just in case you're tempted to post adulatory pieces about Bono & the boys, take some time out to read & truly consider mo's post. I saw Honeyboy Edwards in Liverpool in the early 90s. For an hour or so he held an entire audience spellbound with nothing more than a miked-up acoustic guitar; it wasn't just his performance, brilliant though that was, but his anecdotes, too. I'm delighted to read that he's still gigging.

I did read mo's entry. It was a very good entry! I was just wondering what others thought about the new U2 album.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Wanda Jackson's getting inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame on April 4. She was a country singer of the 1950s who was one of the pioneer rockers (rockabilly actually), and has kept working all these years. She had a very strong country element in all her pop songs. She later went back to country then to gospel. There are a bunch of her songs on YouTube. The ones to listen to are the old clips because the sound quality on the recent live recordings is pretty bad. Hard Headed Woman is about the best. This is not the more familiar soft rock song sung by Elvis and Cat Stevens, but a rocker from the 50s.

Bruce Springsteen came across her in a bowling alley (!--but she also did R&R revivals) a few years ago and was one of the people pushing for her induction. She was also a character in Walk the Line. She did a concert on campus last week promoting a documentary on her life. She still lives in OKlahoma City.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
warpedgirl17, I'm sorry if I seemed a little harsh in my response to your post. It's just that, like hopefully all the other Third Eye posters, I consider it scandalous that the work, influence & legacy of people like Honeyboy Edwards is either glossed over or ignored altogether. FWIW, I haven't heard the new U2 album. Seems to have received mixed reviews; most of the write-ups in the UK press were pretty lukewarm.