Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Pay no attention...

Macca00
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Marc, sorry to hear about what happened. Like other Third Eye posters, I extend best wishes at this time. Haven't posted here for a while due to a couple of reasons. Firstly, I ran into a few financial problems (Chilly, still have your address & will send a check for last year as well as this tomorrow). Secondly, my mother died suddenly last November at the age of 80. She was a proud & feisty Liverpool-Irish Catholic mother, strong in her faith & proud of her heritage. Since then my brother, sister & myself have been dealing with the inevitable paperwork. On Wednesday my sister, a mother of three children & going through a divorce, was one of over 1,000 workers to lose their jobs at a local call centre.
FWIW, I stayed up all night watching the US Election coverage on the BBC, getting through two bottles of chilled white wine; Gore Vidal appeared from LA, looking well-oiled, in a bravura performance (it's on YouTube). BTW, I love Joseph Lowery!
Gary, still no word on the Dylan/Cohen "Waiting For Godot" proposal. However, seeing as Dylan has allowed "Forever Young" to be used in an ad during the Super Bowl TV coverage & Cohen's "Hallelujah was covered by a reality TV singer & occupied the No. 1 spot in the UK charts over Christmas, I'm not expecting an email anytime soon.
PS: What's a "bake sale"?
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Macca00 wrote:
Marc, sorry to hear about what happened. Like other Third Eye posters, I extend best wishes at this time. Haven't posted here for a while due to a couple of reasons. Firstly, I ran into a few financial problems (Chilly, still have your address & will send a check for last year as well as this tomorrow). Secondly, my mother died suddenly last November at the age of 80. She was a proud & feisty Liverpool-Irish Catholic mother, strong in her faith & proud of her heritage. Since then my brother, sister & myself have been dealing with the inevitable paperwork. On Wednesday my sister, a mother of three children & going through a divorce, was one of over 1,000 workers to lose their jobs at a local call centre.
FWIW, I stayed up all night watching the US Election coverage on the BBC, getting through two bottles of chilled white wine; Gore Vidal appeared from LA, looking well-oiled, in a bravura performance (it's on YouTube). BTW, I love Joseph Lowery!
Gary, still no word on the Dylan/Cohen "Waiting For Godot" proposal. However, seeing as Dylan has allowed "Forever Young" to be used in an ad during the Super Bowl TV coverage & Cohen's "Hallelujah was covered by a reality TV singer & occupied the No. 1 spot in the UK charts over Christmas, I'm not expecting an email anytime soon.
PS: What's a "bake sale"?

Glad to see you back and by a wierd coincidence, I was waiting for my pastami sandwich at a deli this afternoon, I'm in Atlanta, and browsed through this little collections of books they have for the customers to read. And there it was. Waiting For Godot! I don`t think I ever read it. I flipped through the pages and read some at random. A great way to kill time waiting. Yes, Bob and Leonard would be perfect. I hope they realize what they are passing up. k d lang does a fantastic version of Hallelujah. It is from her concert in Winnipeg. It`s on the net (utube, I think).

Sorry about the awful rough patch that you`ve been through.
Can`t go anywhere but up.
Macca00
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Gary:
http://uk.youtube.com:80/watch?v=FTv9m8c6hnw .
Feel free to check out my blog from time to time:
http://condensedthoughts.blogspot.com/ .
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
macca --

sorry to hear of all your difficulties. Deepest sympathy. Hope you can get thru it all OK.

Forgive me for mentioning this...it's probably not the most auspicious time, but chilly posted way back at the beginning of this year's dues effort that it is almost impossible to handle foreign checks and asked overseas members to use PayPal.

I'm sure you can email chilly for more details. Hate to bring this up and sound so tactless, but I remember talking about this with Marc a few years ago when he told me it was a problem.

Once again, my sympathies to you.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This is the version I was refering to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE&feature=related

I'll check you blog. Going out to dinner now.
Nancy
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
My Angels, I thank you so much for your kind words. Unfortunately, I made too much money last year to qualify. Although I've been out of work since August. Incredibly dishearening, the system.

That really stinks.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Macca,

My condolences. Sorry to hear it.

A bake sale is a fundraising effort where people bake things -- cookies, cupcakes and the like -- and sell them to benefit something. Frequently indulged in by the Girl Scouts, parents' organizations, etc.

Isaacism, 2009
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting for a stoner comedy to be released called The Baked Sale.

-Topher
Melody
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
{{Wade}} - I wish there was something I could do.

{{Macca}} - Welcome back. I hope you'll feel like participating in the Blanches this year. Hot & heavy nominating is going on in the Blanche portion of the film section.

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Maaca -- Nancy described a bake sale perfectly. And please accept my sincere condolences.
Nancy
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Maaca -- Nancy described a bake sale perfectly.

I've bought from them (and baked for them) many times.

Isaacism, 2009
Marj
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
Marj wrote:
Maaca -- Nancy described a bake sale perfectly.

I've bought from them (and baked for them) many times.

I've never had any experience with them. But I do remember hearing about them growing up.
lissa
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been a volunteer mom for bake sales at my kids' schools for the past 10 or 11 years. I've baked, I've organized, I've worked the tables, and I've counted the revenue. I usually bake my kids' favorites: chocolate-chip mini-muffin-tops. Last summer, the summer camp they attend held its annual car wash, which was begun 9 years ago by two young boys who wanted to raise funds for the local children's hospital. These two kids - along with the help of other campers and the cooperation of the camp - have raised, on average, $2000 each year. We're talking about a one-day (3-hour) car wash, with baked goods sold curbside.

My contribution last summer was my secret recipe s'mores bars. Just made them this afternoon too, for my son and a few friends who came over after skating. They're almost gone.
Very Happy

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I once agreed to make chocolate chip cookies for a bake sale, and ate half of them before they got to the sale. I don't do that anymore.
Marj
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
ROTFLMAO!!!