Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was amazing. If possible, just as good as Season One, which immediately puts it ahead of Mad Men for the moment. (Though Mad Men had an impossible act to follow with the first episode of the series being the best opening episode in television history and all that.)

I was stressing and stressing about who played Sam, the money man. He looked so familiar and I couldn't read the print saying his name. Finally Dolores figured it out. It's James Naughton, with whom I worked closely a couple of years ago on my song for the Yankees. He's good, too--as are Hurt, Close, and Byrne. In fact, they're much better than good.

Season Two looks just as addictive as the first one.

But, yes--good call, carrobin--it seems Tom Aldredge (Uncle Pete) should see Ellen cohorting with the agents. And as Marj says, maybe he has.

Love the scene with Regis and Kelly. Makes you wonder: how many jovial, convivial talk show guests are evil and crazy when the cameras aren't on?
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
January Jones (Betty on Mad Men) gets a stunning photo essay in the new Vanity Fair. James Wolcott writes it, and says it for national consumption: Hitchcock would have used Jones.
Terese
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
mo_flixx wrote:
Terese wrote:
I recently just finished watching the first season of Damages, bought a copy from the local video store. I watched the whole season in one weekend, I just couldn't drag myself from the tv, totally sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time and Glenn Close is brilliant, I just love her. Now I have to wait god knows how long for the second season...grrrr!

I guess I'll just have to wait for my season 5 of The Wire to to arrive to tide me over.

The first season of "Damages" can be downloaded (iTunes) for $1.99/episode or $23.99 for all of the first season's 13 eps.

It's a little more expensive than renting, but it's a great alternative if the rental store happens to be out of the episodes you want to see. Or if you want to see Ep. #1 just to see how you like the show.

I wish I could download Season 2, but it's currently not available.

Actually I managed to buy the first season of Damages from the video store for $30, which is pretty good value here, but thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't have a burner to put it onto DVD and don't fancy watching it from my little computer screen. Plus I'm such a nob when it comes to this stuff I'd probably end up downloading The OC by mistake Smile

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I thought the first episode was amazing. If possible, just as good as Season One, which immediately puts it ahead of Mad Men for the moment. (Though Mad Men had an impossible act to follow with the first episode of the series being the best opening episode in television history and all that.)

I was stressing and stressing about who played Sam, the money man. He looked so familiar and I couldn't read the print saying his name. Finally Dolores figured it out. It's James Naughton, with whom I worked closely a couple of years ago on my song for the Yankees. He's good, too--as are Hurt, Close, and Byrne. In fact, they're much better than good.

Season Two looks just as addictive as the first one.

But, yes--good call, carrobin--it seems Tom Aldredge (Uncle Pete) should see Ellen cohorting with the agents. And as Marj says, maybe he has.

Love the scene with Regis and Kelly. Makes you wonder: how many jovial, convivial talk show guests are evil and crazy when the cameras aren't on?

I figured if anyone recognized James Naughton it would be you, Billy. But, yes, I know how names can escape one at just the wrong moment.

And since I posted the NY Times review I'll also post an opposing opinion from the Washington post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/06/AR2009010603171.htm

And I spoke to another new viewer just a few moments ago. He loved the show. He was a little confused about Arthur Frobisher but I caught him up and he's now an new and avid fan!!

I love turning people on to this excellent show.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
January Jones (Betty on Mad Men) gets a stunning photo essay in the new Vanity Fair. James Wolcott writes it, and says it for national consumption: Hitchcock would have used Jones.

I've seen it. She is stunning. I wonder why both Jones and Jon Hamm look so much better in retro photo spreads than they do on the red carpet?????
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:

And since I posted the NY Times review...

Can't find your link. Where is it?
Marj
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Just as I feared. The Times gives the second season of Damages a bad review. There are some slight spoilers so read at your own peril.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/arts/television/07dama.html

Here it is Billy. The Washington Post review is up the page, in the middle of my reply to you.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
As for the NYTimes review, remember that Alessandra Stanley is the woman who had a serious girl-crush on Sarah Palin for most of the second half of 2008, so I don't trust her about women--and certainly not now that she has panned the impressive performance by Rose Byrne. Far from being unready for the new demands of Ellen Parsons, Byrne meets them handily while never breaking a sweat. She's transmogrified into the cynical revenger and has managed to remain the same rather likeable young woman in the bargain. Love Timothy Olyphant's line (and his reading of it, because I've been an Olyphant fan for years):

"A couple more of those (drinks) and you'll be trading one program for another."

On the basis of the first episode, I think Damages has the potential to top itself in sophomore year.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
A bit from Variety regarding the return of "Mad Men" in the summer--

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117998240.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

But the bit that really grabbed me was the news about a remake of "The Prisoner"--one of the all-time great TV series. I'm uneasy about it, but the fact that Ian McKellen will be Number 2 means I have to check it out.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

No question about it! The essay makes the "Marnie"/Jones connection, btw - that we made long ago.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm off to search for a photo of Patty's new hairdo on "Damages" -- would anyone happen to have a link by any chance?

I'm really curious because Close has always had "good hair" - she did on "The Shield." She looked great and it was perfect for her part.
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
found a link for Patty's hair. Agree it's bad.

I've posted it below. It is the review from Entertainment Weekly.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/01/damages-glenn-c.html
Nancy
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
But the bit that really grabbed me was the news about a remake of "The Prisoner"--one of the all-time great TV series. I'm uneasy about it, but the fact that Ian McKellen will be Number 2 means I have to check it out.

That does sound tempting.

Isaacism, 2009
Marj
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
As for the NYTimes review, remember that Alessandra Stanley is the woman who had a serious girl-crush on Sarah Palin for most of the second half of 2008, so I don't trust her about women--and certainly not now that she has panned the impressive performance by Rose Byrne. Far from being unready for the new demands of Ellen Parsons, Byrne meets them handily while never breaking a sweat. She's transmogrified into the cynical revenger and has managed to remain the same rather likeable young woman in the bargain. Love Timothy Olyphant's line (and his reading of it, because I've been an Olyphant fan for years):

"A couple more of those (drinks) and you'll be trading one program for another."

On the basis of the first episode, I think Damages has the potential to top itself in sophomore year.

I did not know that about Alessandra Stanley. And I agree with you, Billy about Rose Byne's performance. Ellen has grown but IMO still in some kind of shock to the point of stoicism. Yet she keeps up the facade. I wish more people recognized how difficult this is to play. And what a fine actor she is.

I'm unfamiliar with Timothy Olyphant but loved that line. He's in my "watch for" list now, though.

Btw, Billy, what issue of Vanity Fair are the January Jone's photo's in? The latest I received has Tina Fay on the cover.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Btw, Billy, what issue of Vanity Fair are the January Jone's photo's in? The latest I received has Tina Fay on the cover.

February. It's after the Tina Fey issue. Cate Blanchett is on the cover.