Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Is anyone going to watch the new season of Nip/Tuck? I believe it started last night (1/6). Just curious. Season 5 was definitely over-the-top but I'm interested to hear what the docs are up to now that season 6 has begun.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
"DAMAGES" STARTS TONIGHT! 10:00 on FX.
Marj
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Just as I feared. The Times gives the second season of Damages a bad review. There are some slight spoilers so read at your own peril.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/arts/television/07dama.html
warpedgirl17
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
Anyone else watch Big Bang Theory and keep up with it? I love Big Bang Theory! Me and my mom love the show and have since we saw the first episode! My mom just ordered the first season of it from Best Buy's website. It's so hilarious and a very well written show too!

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi Warped and Welcome Back!!

I don't care what the Times said. I'm so happy that Damages is back. And I've already seen my apartment building twice! The steps and facade that William Hurt lives in is next door to mine.

I just wonder. Will people who haven't seen last year's shows get tonight's episode? I've talked a friend into watching. I guess I'll get the answer to my own question tomorrow.
Terese
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 127 Location: Melbourne, Australia
I recently just finished watching the first season of Damages, bought a copy from the local video store. I watched the whole season in one weekend, I just couldn't drag myself from the tv, totally sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time and Glenn Close is brilliant, I just love her. Now I have to wait god knows how long for the second season...grrrr!

I guess I'll just have to wait for my season 5 of The Wire to to arrive to tide me over.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
warpedgirl17 wrote:
Anyone else watch Big Bang Theory and keep up with it? I love Big Bang Theory! Me and my mom love the show and have since we saw the first episode! My mom just ordered the first season of it from Best Buy's website. It's so hilarious and a very well written show too!

I have a friend who really likes it, and keep recommending to me. I keep hearing good things about it. I'll have to try to watch it.

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Terese wrote:
I recently just finished watching the first season of Damages, bought a copy from the local video store. I watched the whole season in one weekend, I just couldn't drag myself from the tv, totally sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time and Glenn Close is brilliant, I just love her. Now I have to wait god knows how long for the second season...grrrr!

I guess I'll just have to wait for my season 5 of The Wire to to arrive to tide me over.

The first season of "Damages" can be downloaded (iTunes) for $1.99/episode or $23.99 for all of the first season's 13 eps.

It's a little more expensive than renting, but it's a great alternative if the rental store happens to be out of the episodes you want to see. Or if you want to see Ep. #1 just to see how you like the show.

I wish I could download Season 2, but it's currently not available.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
Perhaps there's a role for plastic surgery victim Lisa Rinna on "Nip/Tuck."

Wink

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/07/lisa-rinnas-filler-regret_n_156026.html
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
Warped, welcome back. I recommended Big Bang Theory a long time ago on here. What you said about it is spot on and the writing is exceptional. What I think is so unusual is that they must use some top notch physicists to help write that stuff. And it must be quite a chore for the actors to learn those line. They do an excellent job.

Just a little correction;
Quote:
Me and my mom love the show...
, that should be, "My mom and I love the show..."
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
The opening episode of "Damages" was riveting. It was also annoying--I had a freelance proofreading job that I needed to work on, and they didn't even have a commercial break. (The fact that two excellent "Bones" repeats had preceded it didn't help me to make my page quota.)

My only criticism concerns Patty's new hairdo--it's strangely dated and makes her look older, which is a strange choice, considering how great she looked in the first season. A minor question is why the fellow she has watching Ellen hasn't noticed that she's meeting with government agents. (Or has he?)
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(The fact that two excellent "Bones" repeats had preceded it didn't help me to make my page quota.)

Yeah, good episodes and I actually had missed the first one when it originally aired. Good bonus.
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
warpedgirl17 wrote:

I like the writing on that show. It's Chuck Lorre, the same guy who also does Two and A Half Men.

The cast is what helps make it good, too.

carrobin
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
The "Bones" episode in which Temperance and Higgins are trapped in the buried car is one of the best TV episodes of all time, in my opinion. The way in which they put their skills and knowledge to use in surviving what should have been a deadly trap was brilliant, plus the emotional turmoil going on back at the lab, as relationships and feelings come to light. Surely it should have won some awards.
Marj
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
The opening episode of "Damages" was riveting. It was also annoying--I had a freelance proofreading job that I needed to work on, and they didn't even have a commercial break. (The fact that two excellent "Bones" repeats had preceded it didn't help me to make my page quota.)

My only criticism concerns Patty's new hairdo--it's strangely dated and makes her look older, which is a strange choice, considering how great she looked in the first season. A minor question is why the fellow she has watching Ellen hasn't noticed that she's meeting with government agents. (Or has he?)

Isn't that what's so great about Damages? You never know!!! And just when you think you do, you're probably wrong. *wicked laugh*

carrobin -- I agree with you about Patty's hair. It just seems wrong for her. And based on the excellent writing it's wrong for the show. In both her case and Ellen's case their hair has grown far too long in just a month's time.