Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Ghulam
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Lorne,

" in the end I couldn't shake the feeling that the ride had taken place in a constructed, and ultimately safe, theme park."

Slumdog Millionaire is a fairy talish or Rudyard Kiplingesque fantasy. Made in Mumbai, the Bollywood dream factory.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
What is SWD or SW Django? I'm clueless. Thanks.
Earl
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
What is SWD or SW Django? I'm clueless. Thanks.

Ditto

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Sukiyaki Western Django. Takashi Miike. Spoof of spaghetti westerns (actually close to a remake of Django).

EDIT: there's the t-shirt. It lives in a ziploc bag in my dresser, next to the Springsteen for Senate t-shirt (long story there).

mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
Sukiyaki Western Django. Takashi Miike. Spoof of spaghetti westerns (actually close to a remake of Django).

EDIT: there's the t-shirt. It lives in a ziploc bag in my dresser, next to the Springsteen for Senate t-shirt (long story there).

OK...that's what I thought. I'd forgotten the W for western. I know it's supposed to be very hip, but I saw it and was not impressed.
lady wakasa
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
I didn't think it was all that hip - Takashi Miike just seems kind of crazy. (He's also not someone I normally check out.)

In general, though, (gromit, watch the movie first) I thought it was a fun time, but I was with a pretty responsive audience (at a film festival). The whole spoof of spaghetti westerns was funny enough and handled fairly well, though.

If I'd seen it at home I'm not sure I would have had as much fun.

Reading some of the comments on various boards, it comes across as the kind of movie that people either have fun with, or don't like so much. Plus the US version cut out 20-30 mins, which is a *lot*.

It'd be interesting to get Hippie's take on this, since I'm pretty sure he's seen it at this point.

Earl
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Caught Frost/Nixon tonight with Earl. A mundane movie that goes by the ABC book of dramturgy, i.e., Frost has to become Nixon, Nixon has to become Frost, both are shown at their worst and both get a kind of redemption (though obviously Frost is reclaiming the top of his profession and Nixon going the other way). All the performances are stylized (read "unrealistic/cartoonlike," Kevin Bacon is probably the worst of the leads, but they're all guilty) and there's nothing new to learn about anyone. The pseduo interviews with people who made the interviews happen are ridiculous (because we never believe we're watching interview footage). No depth, no insight. Proficient, but nothing more.

I may have liked it a more than Joe did, perhaps even enough to recommend it, but not enthusiastically.

My main problem was the disconnect between the early scenes, which showed Frost as a "lightweight" interviewer, and the climax, in which he suddenly becomes an intellectual dynamo of a journalist who won't let Nixon get away with anything. If Frost had those kind of interviewing chops all along, then what was up with those early scenes? No way he developed those skills in a two or three day cram session as the movie seems to imply.

That said, however, the climactic encounter does make for a riveting scene and both actors played it superbly.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Earl wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
Caught Frost/Nixon tonight with Earl. A mundane movie that goes by the ABC book of dramturgy, i.e., Frost has to become Nixon, Nixon has to become Frost, both are shown at their worst and both get a kind of redemption (though obviously Frost is reclaiming the top of his profession and Nixon going the other way). All the performances are stylized (read "unrealistic/cartoonlike," Kevin Bacon is probably the worst of the leads, but they're all guilty) and there's nothing new to learn about anyone. The pseduo interviews with people who made the interviews happen are ridiculous (because we never believe we're watching interview footage). No depth, no insight. Proficient, but nothing more.

I may have liked it a more than Joe did, perhaps even enough to recommend it, but not enthusiastically.

My main problem was the disconnect between the early scenes, which showed Frost as a "lightweight" interviewer, and the climax, in which he suddenly becomes an intellectual dynamo of a journalist who won't let Nixon get away with anything. If Frost had those kind of interviewing chops all along, then what was up with those early scenes? No way he developed those skills in a two or three day cram session as the movie seems to imply.

That said, however, the climactic encounter does make for a riveting scene and both actors played it superbly.

There was nothing sudden about Frost's energy boost during the last interview. Much like the training scene in Rocky, we see him enlisting the help of Sam Rockwell's character and gettin' down and dirty with the books.

I really liked the film a lot. It was wonderfully directed with the perfect balance of pacing and pathos. Never so slow that it dragged, never so fast that I lost the essence of the characters. Again, using the Rocky metaphor (which I did in my original review of the film), it was all about the battle between two warriors, each in perfect opposition to the other. In personality, background, values, Frost and Nixon couldn't have been farther apart, and yet there they were, two guys locked in a mental death match, both fighting for their professional lives. That this was a true story only added to the intensity. I thought both Sheen and Langella were superb and have Langella as my pick for Best Actor Blanche.
Earl
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
A Christmas Tale (Un Conte de Noël)

Today I took my mother to the movies. I suggested she see Milk and, since I'd already seen Milk, I would see A Christmas Tale which was playing at the same theater.

"Should I take Kleenex?" she asked me as we were leaving. "Will I cry?"

"'Yes,' and 'It's a safe bet'," I answered, in order.

After my movie let out she was waiting for me in the lounge, even though my feature started fifteen minutes before hers. You were right about the Kleenex," she said. "I cried. The movie was great. Penn is fantastic. If he doesn't deserve an award, then I don't know what does. How was your movie?"

"It was a two-and-a-half-hour pretentious piece of shit," I answered. "I'd have been much, much better off going with you to see Milk again."

I check Roger Ebert's rave review of A Christmas Tale and I'm dumbfounded. This is one of those rare times when I just don't even see where he's coming from. Things he cites as assets are the very things that most annoyed me. Like...

Quote:
More to the point is the quietly playful approach of the director, Arnaud Desplechin, who seems to be demonstrating that "A Christmas Tale" is a movie that could have been made in several different tones, and showing us how he would have handled each of them.

or...

Quote:
Sometimes he [the director] seems to looking for ways to distract himself.

or...

Quote:
For long stretches "A Christmas Tale" seems to be going nowhere in particular and using a lot of dialogue to do so.

I'd delete "seems to be" from that last one and insert "is" in its place.

Ebert also talks a lot about the homage to Hitchcock's Vertigo and how the score evokes Bernard Herrmann. Another review I saw made favorable comparisons to Robert Altman in the way the movie handles several storylines at once. Indeed, I haven't seen a pan of this movie yet. Make of that what you will.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:

There was nothing sudden about Frost's energy boost during the last interview. Much like the training scene in Rocky, we see him enlisting the help of Sam Rockwell's character and gettin' down and dirty with the books.

I really liked the film a lot. It was wonderfully directed with the perfect balance of pacing and pathos. Never so slow that it dragged, never so fast that I lost the essence of the characters. Again, using the Rocky metaphor (which I did in my original review of the film), it was all about the battle between two warriors, each in perfect opposition to the other. In personality, background, values, Frost and Nixon couldn't have been farther apart, and yet there they were, two guys locked in a mental death match, both fighting for their professional lives. That this was a true story only added to the intensity. I thought both Sheen and Langella were superb and have Langella as my pick for Best Actor Blanche.

As far as your first paragraph goes, we may have to agree to disagree. Before that late night phone call scene, I saw no hint of the vigorous puncher Frost became in the final round.

Regarding the bit in your post that I underlined, I actually did read your original review and replied to it at the time. The structure of Frost/Nixon is similar to that of other scripts written by Peter Morgan: The Queen, The Last King of Scotland and Longford. All those stories feature two characters who start the movie light years apart, then gradually move closer to eachother as the plot progresses. (Continuing the boxing metaphor, they "feel eachother out" in the early rounds, then directly engage in the later rounds.) I'm a big fan of Morgan's writing. And while I liked Frost/Nixon, I didn't love it.

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Saw Revolutionary Road and was almost totally in tune with gromit's review, even his calling out the misuse of the word "fucking," which was not happening to that extent in 1955 when the film was set. (There's a calendar to back that up.) But DiCaprio and Winslet are awesome in their roles, and so is Michael Shannon as the real estate agent's son. By far the best work so far by Sam Mendes (this doesn't mean much coming from me, since I have been completely underwhelmed by Mendes's previous credits). I thought this was an excellent picture and not half as depressing as I thought it would be, mainly because of the exhilarating acting by the two leads. DiCaprio's performance has generally been playing second fiddle in the reviews to Winslet's, but I thought he was at least as good as she was. Together they make music.

As for gromit, how can one person be so right (about RR) and so wrong (about Slumdog) in the same day?

Last edited by billyweeds on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
earl wrote:
"It was a two-and-a-half-hour pretentious piece of shit," I answered. "I'd have been much, much better off going with you to see Milk again."

LOL

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with Frost/Nixon other than that we've seen it all, many, many times before. Even not counting the movies Earl mentions, the whole thing is so standard. Get those digs in at the characters expense (both of them) and then the "give the man his due" moment. Is there any chance anyone going to see this movie will reconsider his opinion of Frost? Or Nixon? Did anything surprise anyone? (Okay, one thing surprised me: I didn't know Diane Sawyer started out as a member of the Nixon inner circle.)

The performances are fine, but they are stylized, giving us gestures and speech mimicry rather than a look inside these people. It was all surface.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
The main reason I so preferred Frost/Nixon to Milk is that F/N has a story arc that makes sense and offers catharsis. Joe and Earl obviously find the story mechanics a little cheesy. I found them riveting. Milk, on the other hand, strings a lot of incidents together in the order in which they happened, bookended and occasionally interrupted by a lame story device where Harvey Milk tape-records his story. How conventional can you get? And what a flaccid rhythm results!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Well, Harvey Milk really did make those tapes, and shortly before his assassination, so it wasn't just a device. Besides, by concentrating the movie entirely on his political awakening, I think it had a definate structure. Not a predicatable arc, were we know what groove the wheels will follow, but a satisfying one, and a more lively one.

Besides, I felt like I knew the inner life of almost every character in that movie, Dan White perhaps excepted, and I felt I was watching three dimensional charcters. There's no comparison between the rather perfunctory scene dealing with the drunk phone call from Nixon to Frost verses Josh Brolin's great scene drunkenly confronting Penn in the lobby outside Milk's birthday party.

-Topher