Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
....Are you expecting hordes of New Yorkers to flood the streets in protest??

Rolling Eyes
No, but while Gromit laid out good reasons for her appointment, politics is perception, and she won't get it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
....Are you expecting hordes of New Yorkers to flood the streets in protest??

Rolling Eyes
No, but while Gromit laid out good reasons for her appointment, politics is perception, and she won't get it.

Dunno.... My perception is that she'll get it easily.

It would be different if she had a skeleton in the closet, but she doesn't seem to.
yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BTW, billy, as I think you're the only other senior male American here, and if you don't mind my asking, how did you avoid the draft back in the days of 'Nam? Were you just barely too old?
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
I remember a college reunion's chapel service. I noticed the long list of names inside the chapel for the WWII fallen. And I noticed the list for Vietnam -- only THREE names!

Everyone I knew got some kind of deferment. Early on, one could marry or have children (Cheney's route). I knew some people who got psychological deferments. I don't think I knew anyone who went to Canada. My brother had a draft lottery number over 300, so I knew he wouldn't have to go.

I didn't begin to meet actual Vietnam vets until I got out into the working world. No one in my class served - at least not that I know of. And we're talking over 700 guys.
tirebiter
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
I avoided the draft by turning 18 the month it was canceled. My draft card said I was "1-H"-- I suppose this means that if the draft is reinstated, I'll be the first to go.
lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
My nieghborhood playmate's significantly older brother had a pretty high lottery number, but that's all I remember...

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
BTW, billy, as I think you're the only other senior male American here, and if you don't mind my asking, how did you avoid the draft back in the days of 'Nam? Were you just barely too old?

Not too old, nor too young. Just exactly the right age. But (thank heaven) I managed to be 4-F because of a minor bout with petit mal epilepsy at the age of 15 or 16, and a bit of hypoglycemia. If I hadn't been 4-F I would probably have been a semi-Canadian for at least a while. I certainly had no intention of fighting in Vietnam.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
It's really kind of odd that I didn't know anyone who went to Vietnam, except a cousin who had graduated from the Citadel and was a naval officer. My friends at college had deferments of one kind of another. Both of the guys who are still my friends are gay--though that wouldn't necessarily have been relevant, of course, especially to the one who wasn't about to tell anyone back then.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
I had wondered if in the homophobic bad old days, your frequent attendance at Broadway musicals hit and flop would have marked you as a 4-F. Very Happy

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Bad move, Caroline. Bad, bad move.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/nyregion/23kennedy.html
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Rick Warren gets rid of anti-gay language from his website. Is this a positive outcome of his 'inclusion' by Obama?? Or is he still the same old homophobic man of the cloth?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/23/rick-warren-scrubs-anti-g_n_153068.html
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
When my ex and I were moving to NYC from Wpg. and I was at the US Consulate here, first I saw the picture of Nixon on the wall and had second thoughts about going, then I had to clear up my draft status, because that would definitely make me change our plans. Turned out that being married with two kids did the trick and I wasn't eligible. I would also be turning 30 the day I was going which helped too.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that Rick Warren will ever be anything but homophobic--as far as he's concerned, it's In The Bible. But he's got to shut up about it while he's in the Obama spotlight. (I really wonder sometimes about these people who are anti-homosexual because of the Bible. Have they actually read all those prohibitions in Leviticus? Are they aware that Jesus never mentioned homosexuals, though he did criticize adultery and divorce? Somehow that never comes up these days, though it was enough of a hassle when my parents divorced to make my dad switch from Southern Baptist to Methodist.)
Syd
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Joe Vitus wrote:
I had wondered if in the homophobic bad old days, your frequent attendance at Broadway musicals hit and flop would have marked you as a 4-F. Very Happy

All you had to do is announce a fondness for Liza Minelli in particular.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:

But completely unsurprising.

-Topher