Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
The article is for our Washington DC magazine, and it's written by Dennis Kusinich's wife. So she's theoretically talking about politicians dining together (probably with lobbyists) in fancy restaurants. She's not a bad writer, really (certainly compared with some of the semicelebrities who contribute), but everything gets rewritten and multi-edited anyway. We copy editors do try to catch everything as it goes out the door to make sure it still makes sense.
Hopefully that will include the proper spelling of her last name....

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Syd wrote:
Interestingly, Obama's new Education Secretary, Arne Duncan, was on the other side of a major confict on Education about eight years ago. Bill Ayers was on Obama's side of the conflict. Apparently Obama's come around to Duncan's side in the argument.

...or Obama is looking for good thinkers over yes-men (-people).

Syd
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
whiskeypriest wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
With the appointments of senators to the Cabinet, will the Dems. end up with a senate majority?

(Syd should know.)
I believe they are all safely Democratic, for the next two years, at least. The governors appointing their replacements are Democrats.

One exception would be Illinois, possibly, if the idea of a special election goes through. We're already getting rather nasty Repo ads attacking Dems - Lite Guv Mighty Quinn in particular - for not having a special election.

The Democrats have at least 57 of the 99 seata (including Lieberman and Sanders, but not Obama, who has resigned his seat). There will be three more vacancies, dropping it to 54 of 96 if all are vacant at once. Biden's going to resign his seat in January because if he did it now, the Republicans would have a Senate majority. Hillary's going to resign when she's confiemed and I expect Salazar to do the same. I trust the Senate remembers to do the Saxby fix for Salazar as well as Hillary Clinton.

Obama could appoint another 11 Democratic Senators from Democratic seats and still have a Senate majority. Cloture would take into account only the number of current senators (whether present or not), so if there are four vacancies, it would require 58 senators, not sixty.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Arne Duncan???? Hahahahahaha.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Actually, I think I'm being too hard on poor Arne. He was thrust into a position he wasn't equipped to handle. I spoke with him a few months ago, and he seemed kind of pathetic and sad. I felt sorry for him.

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I remember there was a time when my sister would use yous (youse?) as the plural of you. Talk about cringeworthy. Especially when someone says, what are youse guys doing?.....
Gary, Wikidictionary says it's common in SW Ontario, among other places.

As a NY kid, I heard "yiz" a lot, which is a contraction of "youse". I wonder if "youse" users, looked down at "yiz" yousers.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I heard a report this morning on the radio that said Jesse Jackson Jr. was helping investigators get the goods on the Governor over the last couple of years. If this is true then it explains a lot and would restore my good opinion of him.

Jesse III??
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
carrobin --

Please let us know what the copy chief decided. Enquiring minds want to know!
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
marantzo wrote:
I heard a report this morning on the radio that said Jesse Jackson Jr. was helping investigators get the goods on the Governor over the last couple of years. If this is true then it explains a lot and would restore my good opinion of him.

Jesse III??

Very funny. Do you know that I've been corrected when I referred to him as Jesse III, or was it you who set that example?
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
"Literally" is indeed misused a lot, as is "unique." A thing cannot be "very unique" or "somewhat unique" or "more unique" than something else. What the cretins who misuse it mean is "unusual," which 90% of the time should be substituted for it. If something is "unique," it is unique.

As for elderly people getting their panties in a twist about "guys," the old fogeys should lighten up.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Then of course we have the term hopefully, almost always used incorrectly and rarely the way it should be used.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Then of course we have the term hopefully, almost always used incorrectly and rarely the way it should be used.

To my chagrin, with "hopefully" I have decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, so I use it...but I blush when I use it, so I'm okay.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
My mother practically goes into conniptions when someone says "most unique." But it's becoming pretty well accepted these days.

We just had an editorial meeting in which the copy chief informed us that our new ayatollah, um, editorial manager has decreed that we copy editors are not to make any changes except to fix something that is WRONG. No more straightening up awkward syntax, no more revising sloppy phrasing, no more polishing or sweetening. This is meant to SPEED THINGS UP. Nobody likes this new system except her; the managing editors, who are now having to rewrite, edit, make changes, and spell check themselves, hate it. I sit here with hardly anything to do while the proofs pile up on the editors' desks. (If this decree had been in effect when the Kucinich article came through originally, we'd have left it the way she wrote it, a singular usage with "him- or herself.")
yambu
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
What is rampant here is the misuse of "it's". It means "it is", not "its". So you say "its misuse", or "it's misused".
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I have mentioned this many times before, but one of my favourite cartoon was in the New Yorker many years ago. A writer was sitting across the desk of a publisher, and the writer had a puzzled/distressed look on his face. The publisher's face was happy. The quote under the cartoon was, "You write good."