Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I have a similar feeling of disappointment (he's holding onto Bush's Secretary of War, the most troubling thing he's done). But I keep telling myself the man isn't even in office yet.

One curious thing. Though his seemingly more conservative persona should appeal to, well, conservatives, they are actually attacking him for it. Kinda schizophrenic.

Who do you mean?
Do you mean Richard Clarke? Clarke also worked in the Clinton administration. I just watched footage of Clarke in the CBC (Canadian) doc. "The Secret History of 9/11." [That particular doc. is NOT a conspiracy film, rather it demonstrates that the U.S. had reliable intelligence dating from the mid-90's that 9/11 types of events were being planned.] I found the footage of Clarke impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Clarke

Yes, Gates. He worked for Reagan, too.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Caroline Kennedy's attempt to intimidate her way into office are nauseating.

Quote:
Tuesday, Dec. 16, 2008 09:03 EST

Caroline hires flack to scare competitors

I'm not as adamantly opposed as Mark is to the idea of Caroline Kennedy being appointed to the New York Senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton's departure for State, but it's clear that she's increasingly adamant about seeking it.

Picking up on a brief mention in Nick Confessore's NYTimes piece that Mark mentioned, the Politico's Ben Smith and Glenn Thrush have more on the hiring of Knickerbocker SKD's Josh Isay to pick up some of the political heavy lifting . . . including trying to "scare the shit" out of others who might be interested:

After a week of coy courtship and low-key feelers, Kennedy began working the phones in earnest Monday -- and signed up major Democratic fixer Josh Isay, who has deep connections to New York powerhouses Sen. Charles Schumer, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Kennedy spoke with Sharpton on Monday, and he said he told her about another “lady that wanted to run for U.S. Senate [who] came to Harlem, to the House of Justice, and they told me she wasn’t qualified; they told me she was just there because of who she was married to -- and that was Hillary Clinton.”

Sharpton said Kennedy chuckled.

Monday’s outreach efforts came as the 51-year-old former first daughter had begun to receive withering criticism about her lack of political experience.

“She had to work to undo the buzz for the last week -- New Yorkers were starting to say, ‘We don’t know her,’ ‘She’s got no experience,’ ‘She’s presumptuous,’” said a top New York Democrat, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“That’s why hiring Josh makes a lot of sense,” the person added. “She doesn’t know anybody, and he’s the guy to make the introductions and guide her through the process.”

Hiring Isay accomplishes several goals for Kennedy. It signals her seriousness to Gov. David Paterson, who has been cool to her weeklong whisper campaign; it initiates her courtship of state power brokers who know her only through the media and the History Channel; and it “scares the s--” out of lesser-known Democrats actively pursuing the appointment, the New York Democrat said.

This will be a fascinating political battle to watch from the sidelines, that's for sure.

― Thomas Schaller

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Caroline Kennedy's attempt to intimidate her way into office are nauseating.

According to you and this hack writer.
She hired an experience Dem to aid her.
Makes me want to puke my fucking guts out.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
You really support her in this? I'm surprised.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Here's another article from Salon. Guess this writer is a hack, too, since you don't agree with him.

Quote:
Monday, Dec. 15, 2008 21:31 EST

Caroline Kennedy? Thanks, but no thanks

Her name has been floated for Hillary Clinton's old job, and now it's clear that Caroline Kennedy wants it. According to media reports, the 51-year-old daughter of JFK has decided to pursue the position of junior senator from the state of New York. Here's hoping she reconsiders, and/or that Gov. David Paterson appoints somebody better suited for the post.

Not to denigrate Kennedy's commitment to public service, but the only line on her CV that truly recommends her for the post is the one at the top: her name. New Yorkers support her selection because they recognize that name, and because many have abiding affection for her family and memories of a little girl in the White House.

Among New York's 19 million citizens there are many more appropriate options. She is not the most qualified scion of a famous political family – New York's abrasive attorney general Andrew Cuomo outranks her on that front. Though she might be able to argue she's the best available Kennedy -- more suited for the gig than the disappointing Ian Kennedy, though less knowledgeable about the rough-and-tumble of New York politics than William J. Kennedy -- she is not even the most qualified New Yorker named Caroline. Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, who represents parts of Manhattan and Queens and is beginning her ninth term, has made it known she wants the job too. She has hired someone to help her lobby for it (and has complained aloud about the other Caroline's lack of experience.)

If not Maloney, how about one of three Democrats who have demonstrated they can win in purple parts of the state? Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand just won her second term in the House from a previously Republican upstate district. If she's too much of a Blue Dog, how about Long Island's Tom Suozzi or Steve Israel? In other words, how about somebody, anybody, who has something to offer besides celebrity and good intentions, and who can do something for New Yorkers besides scratch the itch of baby boom nostalgia?

Mark Schone

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
I don't see anything wrong with Caroline Kennedy wanting to be senator and hiring a pro to help. That doesn't mean I'd want her to win.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with her running in a general election, and serving should she be elected. That's up to the people of New York, obviously. But trying to force the governor's hand to make her a replacement—with zero experience in office, or even in politics, really—and going for a PR blitz when her quiet offers were rejected, is offensive.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
You really support her in this? I'm surprised.

I really have no opinion, not having considered who else might be available, and not knowing much about CK. But the idea that she's sickening us with intimidation tactics sounds straight off the NY Post presses.

I would expect there might be other/better candidates, but I do like the fact that she has Obama's trust and is not beholden to donors and special interests. Maybe I also remember Al D'Amato being in there for so long, that anything seems an improvement (yes, I know that it's replacing Clinton this time). And I expect that, like Hillary, once Kennedy got the NY Senate seat, she could likely keep it for the long term in Dem control. I also favor another woman getting appointed to the senate seat won by a woman.

So, yes, I'm open to Caroline K. I'm also open to any other candidate who seems competent and semi-trustworthy. Again, I would prefer someone Obama is comfortable with, someone who can win the next election, and prefer a woman. Kennedy scores well on my criteria.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I have no problem with her running in a general election, and serving should she be elected. That's up to the people of New York, obviously. But trying to force the governor's hand to make her a replacement—with zero experience in office, or even in politics, really—and going for a PR blitz when her quiet offers were rejected, is offensive.

Sounds like politicking to me.
That would make sense if there was an election coming up, and not an appointment. Politics is all about timing and opportunism. Btw, that second article was much more reasonable, though none of the mentioned possibles really jumped off the page.

Carro, your a NYer.
Weedy Bill too.
What's the feel on the ground, in the air, up in your nostrils?

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
I haven't talked to anyone else around here about Caroline Kennedy's possibilities, but I think she'd be a fairly popular choice. She's known to be a smart and capable person who hasn't pursued public office (though many have tried to encourage her). I'd like to know more about her qualifications and intentions, which I'm sure the newspapers will be covering from both sides. But I'd be inclined to support her, as things stand now. (It's true that I'd prefer that she win an election rather than be appointed.)
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
To everyone in general (so many literate people on here make this mistake, even book editors [I'm not mentioning any name]) when it is after an "if" it is "were", not "was".

Thank you for your attention.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the perspective both of you have. Food for thought. Thanks.

-Topher
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
David Axelrod was (and is) a flak.

In Illinois, money/clout has sex beat by a country mile. I don't have actual statistics, but I bet the birthrate among Illinois pols is only high enough to ensure legacy appointments to targeted state and municipal offices.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
To everyone in general (so many literate people on here make this mistake, even book editors [I'm not mentioning any name]) when it is after an "if" it is "were", not "was".

Thank you for your attention.

Not so fast there, canadaboy.
If I were to look in a grammar book, that's indeed what I would find. But in functional use, the subjunctive tense is on its way out in English usage and "was" has largely supplanted "were" in hypotheticals ("if") and wishes.

The past subjunctive is, I believe, limited to the verb to be and the traditional was/were distinction is dying off. So I do what most people do, I use whichever sounds better in a given sentence. I don't think it's necessary to follow a grammar rule when it has become a minority position and no longer reflects current use. It's the old debate of whether a grammar book should be proscriptive or descriptive. Along these lines, there is the slow, sad death of "whom" except when it may concern someone or a bell is solemnly tolling.

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
gromit wrote:
Not so fast there, canadaboy.
If I were to look in a grammar book, that's indeed what I would find. But in functional use, the subjunctive tense is on its way out in English usage and "was" has largely supplanted "were" in hypotheticals ("if") and wishes.

The past subjunctive is, I believe, limited to the verb to be and the traditional was/were distinction is dying off. So I do what most people do, I use whichever sounds better in a given sentence. I don't think it's necessary to follow a grammar rule when it has become a minority position and no longer reflects current use. It's the old debate of whether a grammar book should be proscriptive or descriptive. Along these lines, there is the slow, sad death of "whom" except when it may concern someone or a bell is solemnly tolling.

Ouch!

If you wasn't born a Weeden, you need to stay out of the pool, marantz. %^D

Although I don't completely agree with that - who defines when a particular usage is officially "on the way out"?...

A good part of the English grammar I was taught I learned in French class...