Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
The Illusionist was the one I saw. Excellent! I don't have to spend a lot of time catching up with The Prestige. %^D

I remember there was something off with the twist, but I barely remember what it was...

Syd
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Youtube Screening room has some Christmas shorts up. The Bloody Olive is a pretty funny film noir parody.

Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The Youtube Screening room has some Christmas shorts up. The Bloody Olive is a pretty funny film noir parody.

Yes, it's hilarious. See it!

Isaacism, 2009
gromit
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
Seven Days to Noon (1950) is an interesting British thriller with a social message. Professor Willingdon decides that the British nuclear weapons program is immoral. So he kidnaps one of the atom bombs he was working on and threatens to blow up London unless the gov't agrees to give up its nuclear weapons program. Obviously the threat of one man with a suitcase bomb able to destroy a city has a lot of resonance for today.

But this film focuses on a man who wants to do good. In fact he frequently is seen in churches and has discussed these issues abstractly with his vicar. With his wanderings in the night and encounters with lower class characters, while being relentlessly hunted, I was reminded of Odd Man Out. There is also at least a hint of Hitchcockian tension and pursuit. While the gov't and military response is done in a fairly realistic manner, with clear echoes of the Home Front during the recent war.

I'm not sure that such a small bomb was actually possible then, and you have to wonder why the government couldn't agree to his demands, since you can't actually dismantle a nuclear program overnight, and how would he know if it was truly done (you can restart a program after the bomb has been recovered, etc). But them's quibbles, ducks. The course that the film follows is interesting, as is the idea that there is potentially as much danger from someone on our side misusing our technology and openness, as there is a threat from an external enemy. [think the anthrax mailings, or the OKC bombing].

Barry Jones is very well cast as the respectable old professor who feels the need to act on his conscience.
He's very believable as a professor turned fugitive. Joan Hickson is good as the seedy landlady with her house full of cats. And Olive Sloane is fun as a washed-up actress trying to get by with her little spaniel. There's also a few one-dimensional 50's characters -- notably the daughter and the assistant.
A good low-key thriller.

Last edited by gromit on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed The Illusionist, but not as much as The Prestige. It's also an excellent book.
Nancy
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
gromit,

I've never heard of that film, but you certainly make it sound interesting.

Isaacism, 2009
bocce
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:
I enjoyed The Illusionist, but not as much as The Prestige. It's also an excellent book.

which book???
yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Watched It's a Wonderful Life. That's quite enough times, though I say that every year.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Watched In Bruges again; even better the second time around. Knowing what was going to happen freed me to take a closer look at the beautiful performances by all three leads and appreciate the amazing debut directorial work by the writer Martin McDonagh. It's looking more and more like my favorite film of 2008.

And it really is a comedy. The plotting is almost farcical. It's black as pitch, but definitely a black comedy.
tirebiter
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
botch: "The Prestige"
bocce
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Watched In Bruges again
And it really is a comedy. The plotting is almost farcical. It's black as pitch, but definitely a black comedy.

so is THE DEPARTED...if you want to look it at that way...
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Watched In Bruges again

I can see the plot aspect of it, but The Departed doesn't have many belly laughs, and In Bruges has quite a few of them.
bocce
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bocce wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
Watched In Bruges again

I can see the plot aspect of it, but The Departed doesn't have many belly laughs, and In Bruges has quite a few of them.

it's a comedy of errors, almost shakespearean, if one doesn't see the overplay of almost every character or have a familiarity with scorsese's very unusual sense of humor, you're gonna miss it...

i guarantee that if you watch it again, in this aspect, you'll see not only what i mean, but marty's intent...it's the obverse of GOODFELLAS..
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I can see that, but I still think it is weird to put it in the Comedy or Musical category.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

I agree with you about it being a comedy. But what the made the movie work so well for me when I saw it (on the big screen, where it should be seen) was that it really didn't fit the formula of any genre, while embracing several.

Glad it still works for you.

-Topher