Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

yambu
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
....Or at least watch people throwing shoes at Bush again.
Had I thrown two shoes at him from that distance, I would not have missed with both. Quelle Klutz.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
The point probably was less accuracy and more insult.

So today, 15 people will go to the War Memorial in Trenton and elect Barack Obama president. That's called it's official, baby.

marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I just heard today that it is a common form of insult in Iraq.
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

Actually, I don't think it's so much common as severe. I'm trying to think of something comparable - maybe insulting someone's mother? Using the c-word? I don't know if Westerners / North Americans really get that insulted by things - or at least specific things - anymore.

marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
We have the 'pie in the face' though it is sometimes just a prank. And there is 'mooning' of course and the one finger salute.

Yes, extreme insult is more on point.
Marilyn
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
What's wrong with Toddler? Let me count the ways. The tax hike is just one of dozens of offenses, primarily because he shouldn't have been the candidate on the ballot in the first place, and since coming to office, he has hired every friend and relative he's got, bloating his PR staff while cutting funds to clinics, hospitals, outreach programs and more. He's ignorant, arrogant, and out of touch - just like most Daley thugs.

It appears that we might have a special election for the Senate seat. Every choice mentioned with the exception of Jan Shakowsky shouldn't be allowed to dress themselves in the morning.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Even Tammy Duckworth? I didn't think she had much of a chance, but then again she hasn't been in politics very long to get utterly enmeshed in the mess that is the Chicago/Ill Machine.

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
from HuffPo: Obama's approach to DC for the inauguration -

Quote:
"President-elect Barack Obama will kick off his inaugural celebration on Jan. 17 _ the weekend before his swearing in as the country's 44th president _ by traveling on a train to the nation's capital.

He and his family will start their daylong journey with an event in Philadelphia before boarding the train and picking up Vice President-elect Joe Biden and his family in Wilmington, Del. The president-elect and his group then will make a stop in Baltimore before making their way to Washington."

...Well, I will NOT be anywhere near Amtrak the Saturday before the inauguration (the commuter trains here run on the Amtrak lines).

But I have this mental picture of the train either being three hours late, or Joe Biden being late and running down the platform as it pulls out of the station.

carrobin
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
...and Obama leaning out the back of the caboose, holding out his arms and saying "Come on, Joe, you can make it!"

By the way, I'm thinking of taking up a collection to bail out the fellow who threw the shoes. Or at least to get him some nice Nikes.
yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
We have the 'pie in the face' though it is sometimes just a prank. And there is 'mooning' of course and the one finger salute.
One gesture that seems to have all but disappeared is smacking the right bicep with the left hand while raising the right forearm in a fist, usually accompanied by "Fongoo!" It dates back at least to Shakespeare.
Of course, the Bard described one aggressive gesture, as some Montague bit his tongue at some Capulet. On stage, I've seen that done as flicking the thumb nail frum under the upper front teeth, in the direction of the insultee. I always figured it was because the audience wouldn't have been able to see the guy biting his lip.
yambu
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
If you appreciate creative vulgarisms, or swearing that approaches poetry, visit http://www.sonic.net/maledicta/
bocce
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
One gesture that seems to have all but disappeared is smacking the right bicep with the left hand while raising the right forearm in a fist, usually accompanied by "Fongoo!"

like most americanizations of italian (ie. "mannagot" for manicotti or "a minuch" for minchia), this one is way off the mark. the real expression is affanculo even if the intent is the same...
marantzo
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On stage, I've seen that done as flicking the thumb nail frum under the upper front teeth, in the direction of the insultee.

I've seen that gesture done a number of times, but not for many years. Don't know where it came from but it was recognized as an insult.

Last edited by marantzo on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bocce
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
the ny times is reporting that caroline kennedy will seek hillary clinton's senate seat. surely, governor patterson can do better than this...
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
marantzo wrote:

Actually, I don't think it's so much common as severe. I'm trying to think of something comparable - maybe insulting someone's mother? Using the c-word? I don't know if Westerners / North Americans really get that insulted by things - or at least specific things - anymore.

In that part of the world anything to do with the feet is considered very bad. That is part of why shoes are removed before entering homes, feet are washed before one prays at a mosque, etc.
In India anything to do with feet marks a low cast - shoe makers, sweepers, etc.
You can begin to understand it in a part of the world where _bare_ feet are exposed to all kinds of filth. Also same with shoes worn outside as opposed to slippers or socks worn inside.

Pointing one's feet at someone is bad etiquette in Japan...and probably elsewhere, too.