Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

Syd
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
It appears that Rahm Emanuel may have reported to the FBI Blagojevich's attempts to make a deal with Obama (which Obama, --or Obama's people, since Obama seems to have steered clear of this). And we have this.

Quote:
"I've got this thing and it's f***ing golden, and, uh, uh, I'm just not giving it up for f***in' nothing..." [said Blagojevich].

Told by two other advisers he has to "suck it up" for two years, the FBI says it heard Blagojevich complain he has to give this "motherf***er [the president-elect] his senator. F*** him. For nothing? F*** him."

The governor is heard saying he will pick another candidate "before I just give f***ing [Senate Candidate l] a f***ing Senate seat and I don't get anything."

In this context, being called a motherf***er by the Governor of Illinois is a badge of honor, like being on Nixon's enemies list.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn --
This is the latest I've found about the Tribune bankruptcy.
-------------------------

Tribune arranges unique bankruptcy financing deal
By Emily Chasan
NEW YORK, Dec 9 (Reuters) - U.S. media group Tribune Co has arranged an untraditional financing deal with Barclays Capital (BARC.L: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), involving about $350 million in debt agreements, to fund operations during its reorganization.

The publisher of the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday, citing weakness in the newspaper industry and a need to restructure about $13 billion in debt.

Unlike a typical debtor-in-possession bankruptcy loan, the company is seeking court approval of a $50 million letter of credit from Barclays, according to court documents filed late Monday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.

Tribune also wants approval to continue using a $300 million trade receivables facility that it entered into with Barclays in July. The facility was reduced to $225 million for the bankruptcy, and Tribune is seeking to guarantee that obligation.

"It's a somewhat unusual structure for the financing, but given the state of the credit markets we're probably going to see more creative moves to finance bankruptcies," said Stephen Lubben, a bankruptcy professor at Seton Hall University School of Law in New Jersey.

Tribune said the facility would "ensure sufficient liquidity and continuity of operations" during the bankruptcy.

Under the trade receivables facility, Barclays does not loan directly to the bankrupt parent company, but to a borrower known as Tribune Receivables LLC, which receives about 80 percent of the company's incoming cash receipts and was not placed into bankruptcy, court papers showed.

The facility was amended for the bankruptcy filing and is set to last 120 days, according to the court papers.

In 2007, real estate tycoon Sam Zell led a buyout of the company for $8.2 billion. Barclays was also one of the lenders on an $8.028 billion senior credit facility Tribune entered into around the time of the buyout. Other lenders on that loan included JPMorgan Chase, Merrill Lynch, Citigroup and Bank of America. (Reporting by Emily Chasan, editing by Matthew Lewis)
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Interesting, Mo. I knew he was trying to leverage the lenders, and this is a way to gain the protection of bankruptcy while still getting a big line of credit. Zell's a master of this kind of manipulation.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Interesting, Mo. I knew he was trying to leverage the lenders, and this is a way to gain the protection of bankruptcy while still getting a big line of credit. Zell's a master of this kind of manipulation.

Yeah...and he bought it for just a small percentage of the actual price. He got a huge line of credit...most of it guaranteed w/ the Trib. employees' pension fund!
Marj
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
The US Attorney for NJ, despite being a Bush II appointee, seems to have the same sort of integrity as Fitzgerald (and never met a prosecution that he lost). There's talk of him running for governor next year; he's supposed to be "exploring" that now.

If Fitzgerald is anything like that, he's the real deal.

EDIT: ...then again, Giuliani was US Attorney in southern NY. And then he went crazy.

And now according to some sources, he's planning to run for governor! Oh, you crazy fool, you.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
The crazy fools are more likely the voters; I expect if he ran he'd win big.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Do you think the governor of NY tried to get Caroline Kennedy to buy Hillary's Senate seat?? (just kidding)

BTW, the thought has occurred to me that Election 2008 could continue as Politics 2009 next year. I'm really glad we have a separate place (not the Lobby) where we can discuss all this stuff. I'd hate to see an end to this political Forum.

BTW, my 90 yr.-old lifelong Republican father is still very impressed with Obama. He actually said something today along the lines of O being one of our greatest presidents. (wow!)
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Are people really swallowing this Caroline Kennedy bullshit? She has no history of public service. She's never shown a desire for be one. She is a celebrity-by-association, not a politician. The possiblity of her nomination represents everything bad about "Kennedy" as a brand name rather than an asute political family. I really hope this nonsese gets dropped soon.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Are people really swallowing this Caroline Kennedy bullshit? She has no history of public service. She's never shown a desire for be one. She is a celebrity-by-association, not a politician. The possiblity of her nomination represents everything bad about "Kennedy" as a brand name rather than an asute political family. I really hope this nonsese gets dropped soon.

Ron Kuby (sp) on Air America agrees with you. He's a really interesting guy. He's a lawyer who's worked on a lot of high profile cases. I like his show.
He thinks Caroline has nothing to offer politically. She's a respected author and is active with charities. IMO she might make a perfect ambassador - but if she's the senator from NY, she'll be there for life if she wants it.
Well, we all know she has her _name_ to offer.

It would be a whole different story if John Jr. were alive.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Nancy
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
BTW, the thought has occurred to me that Election 2008 could continue as Politics 2009 next year. I'm really glad we have a separate place (not the Lobby) where we can discuss all this stuff. I'd hate to see an end to this political Forum.

I heartily agree.

Isaacism, 2009
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
Mo,

That's interesting to hear. I do want to add that Caroline seems like an intelligent, conscientious woman. But that's far from being fit for public office. I'm so sick of the Kenney dynasty crap. I doubt she even wants to run. She was pushed into the public eye because "someone" thought a Kennedy needed to take dead John, Jr.'s place place. Now she's being pushed into office because of Ted. It's ridiculous. We don't need Kennedys. The government will do just fine without them, and generally has.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
Well, initially, she wouldn't have to run, but would be appointed. Then running as an incumbent with a famous name, and the money connections, makes things easy.
Also, she got involved in the Obama campaign.
And would be a senator form an important state backing Obama firmly. Not to mention that it wouldn't hurt getting the number of female senators closer to 20%.

I haven't followed this too closely, and really am not pro nor con, but just can't get on the "we don't need another Kennedy" bandwagon.

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:

Ron Kuby (sp) on Air America agrees with you. He's a really interesting guy. He's a lawyer who's worked on a lot of high profile cases. I like his show.

Kuby is sometimes known as "the lawyer with the ponytail," presumably the character James Woods played in True Believer. Kuby is still thought of as the natural successor to William Kunstler.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
Here's what wiki has to say about Kuby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Kuby

He just added Twitter to his home page - I've been meaning to check it out.
http://airamerica.com/doingtime
Kuby is a good radio personality. He's outspoken but at the same time _not_ rude to his call-in listeners. He had some good observations on the O.J. conviction the other day.

I've listened to his "Doing Time" show since it came on. Frankly until I read the wiki piece, I had no idea he was a self-proclaimed communist.

The James Wood movie connection is interesting. There's another one in "The Big Lebowski" when the Dude (Jeff Bridges) says he wants Kuby to defend him.

Last edited by mo_flixx on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Kuby worked with Kunstler, that's when I first used to see him. I always found him to be a little too far left for my liking, as Kunstler was, but Kunstler was a much more impressive figure. Things like being apologists for groups like the Weathermen and their violent acts really put me off. I was impressed when Kunstler played a TV version of himself on Law & Order in a role where he was wrong about these same type of revolutionaries. Kuby is much more moderate today than back then too.

And the pony tail is stupid. Laughing