Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
I just read about it too at HuffPo. In addition, there's news about the Tribune declaring bankruptcy yesterday (inla??) and the governor shutting off the state from doing business with Bank of America.

In fairness like Lady W, I'd have to say that Obama does not seem enmeshed in this. But please keep us up to date.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
This just in from a friend who alerts me to these things --

Caution!!!! Real Virus

There is a new computer bug going around that claims to be Barack Obama's acceptance speech. It was started by a bunch of criminals in the Ukraine. All it will do is send them all your pertinent information. If you receive an E-mail claiming to be Barack Obama's acceptance speech DO NOT OPEN IT. DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY! Spread this around to everyone you know. It is true and has been validated on the Snopes Web Site.
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
lady wakasa wrote:
Right, Marilyn - I just saw this and I was wondering about your take on it - but Obama himself seems to be outside of it. He hasn't been appointing a bunch of Illinois insiders (the only one I've heard of is Emmanuel), and any benefits are not directly tied to him.

He's from Chicago, true; but could have have distanced himself enough to stay out of most of it?

Obama played the Illinois politics just right. Didn't make waves or back losers. He announced his candidacy in Springfield, a bone to the state pols, and celebrated his victory in Chicago, a bone to the Daley fiends. Is he enmeshed in this? I have to say I sincerely doubt it because everyone who's dealt with Blago knows he's poison wrapped in ordnance strapped to a landmine. Obama is a very smart guy and has kept a lot of distance there. Don't look for him to speak out on this either, though. He'd be better off making no comments.

Last edited by Marilyn on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
And I doubt Tribune Co. will declare bankruptcy. It's probably just a ploy. Sam Zell is full of it, I mean them.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Blagojevich is getting what he deserves. But I was curious why this item is in there:

Quote:
Blagojevich and Harris conspired to demand the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members responsible for editorials critical of Blagojevich in exchange for state help with the sale of Wrigley Field, the Chicago Cubs baseball stadium owned by Tribune Co.

That makes it sound like that was illegal, and I don't think it is. It's not nice, but is it a crime?

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It would be illegal if Blago committed public funds to the project. The state made some very serious noise about buying Wrigley Field (of course, at above fair market price) and leasing it to the Cubs.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see that Fitzgerald made it through the Plame investigation in spite of the harranging he got from the Bushies and is still going strong.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Syd
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Well, selling off a Senate seat is enough of a crime in itself to put him away. As the Joker would say, Illinois deserves a better class of criminal.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Patrick Fitzgerald is our guardian angel. Seriously, I'd stand in front of a train to keep it from hitting him. What tenacity and courage he has. If he goes after the Daley Machine, his life could be in danger, and that's no joke.

Syd - Yep, they don't make 'em like Hinky Dink McKenna and Bath House Johnny Coughlin anymore.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
Obama himself seems to be outside of it. He hasn't been appointing a bunch of Illinois insiders (the only one I've heard of is Emmanuel), and any benefits are not directly tied to him.

He's from Chicago, true; but could have have distanced himself enough to stay out of most of it?

Exactly right. The connection seems to be nill. Of course, you can always play association games like "there's corruption in Chicago politics; Obama must be corrupt" just like you can play association games like "there are a lot of black criminals; Obama must be a criminal." There's plenty of corruption and scandal in D.C. and New York. Does that mean Hillary was involved? Links seem tenuous.

-Topher
yambu
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
Patrick Fitzgerald is our guardian angel. Seriously, I'd stand in front of a train to keep it from hitting him. What tenacity and courage he has......
I watched all of his extended press conference. Just as in the Scooter Libby days, this guy bowls me over. As a retired lawyer, I have never seen the like. He's the best.
yambu
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
It would be illegal if Blago committed public funds to the project. The state made some very serious noise about buying Wrigley Field (of course, at above fair market price) and leasing it to the Cubs.
The complaint alleges that he illegally threatened to withold public funds from the purchase of Wrigley unless certain staff members were fired. There's nothing illegal about the state seeking to purchase the field from the Trib. Whether they offered an inflated price is not addressed in the complaint.
daffy
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he'd be a good Attorney General. Given the way he handled the Plame investigation against the Republicans and now this against a Democrat, he certainly appears to have the integrity. Of course, after Gonzales even a pro wrestler looks like he has integrity.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Marilyn
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
Marilyn wrote:
The complaint alleges that he illegally threatened to withold public funds from the purchase of Wrigley unless certain staff members were fired. There's nothing illegal about the state seeking to purchase the field from the Trib. Whether they offered an inflated price is not addressed in the complaint.

I didn't say it was illegal for the state to purchase the ballpark. This is a quid pro quo situation, playing games with taxpayer dollars, and very much in keeping with the kind of balance sheet politics Blago routinely plays. Essentially, he was trying to blackmail Sam Zell (though it couldn't happen to a nicer guy) and Tribune Co. stockholders.

Last edited by Marilyn on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
The US Attorney for NJ, despite being a Bush II appointee, seems to have the same sort of integrity as Fitzgerald (and never met a prosecution that he lost). There's talk of him running for governor next year; he's supposed to be "exploring" that now.

If Fitzgerald is anything like that, he's the real deal.

EDIT: ...then again, Giuliani was US Attorney in southern NY. And then he went crazy.