Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Firefox updated last night. Took - I dunno, maybe 10 secs. Whoa, Nellie.
The 21st century's kinda cool so far. %^D

I listened to the Paranoia Agent opening again. Still a fantastic series. (Maybe that will be the b-in-law's b-day gift...)

YouTube

Of course, I could just put the DVD in and just watch the whole thing, but still.

Last edited by lady wakasa on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Shame on you billy for not seeing "The Sundowners" when we had _your_ Zinnemann Forum.

Were you not able to get a copy then?

Can't believe I didn't at least allude to The Sundowners during that forum, since I like it better than any other Zinnemann except High Noon. For instance, I like it and Kerr far better than From Here to Eternity, and her performance in it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
Shame on you billy for not seeing "The Sundowners" when we had _your_ Zinnemann Forum.

Were you not able to get a copy then?

Can't believe I didn't at least allude to The Sundowners during that forum, since I like it better than any other Zinnemann except High Noon. For instance, I like it and Kerr far better than From Here to Eternity, and her performance in it.

I'm sure you _alluded_ to it. I think I bought a used VHS just to see it.
Kate
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
jeremy wrote:
I thought Apocalypto was a singular piece of bravura film making. Yes, the plot managed to be both simple and contrived, but one has to admire Mel Gibson's vision and independence of thought.

I loved Apocalypto, it was tremendously entertaining.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Pineapple Express is constantly funny and/or over-the-top violent, in the style of The Three Stooges on crack. Seth Rogen and James Franco are wonderful as two stoners who get involved with drugs, shootouts, and death and destruction. It's like a parody of Quentin Tarantino melded with slapstick comedy and rather one-of-a-kind. Gary Cole and Rosie Perez, usually noted for their comedy, are the straight man/woman here, the outright villains who start the cycle of hilarious violence when they commit a killing witnessed by the hapless Rogen. A great supporting cast features SNL's Bill Hader and other semi-familiar faces including my friend Joe Lo Truglio as a moronic high school teacher.
Nancy
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Pineapple Express is constantly funny and/or over-the-top violent, in the style of The Three Stooges on crack. Seth Rogen and James Franco are wonderful as two stoners who get involved with drugs, shootouts, and death and destruction. It's like a parody of Quentin Tarantino melded with slapstick comedy and rather one-of-a-kind. Gary Cole and Rosie Perez, usually noted for their comedy, are the straight man/woman here, the outright villains who start the cycle of hilarious violence when they commit a killing witnessed by the hapless Rogen. A great supporting cast features SNL's Bill Hader and other semi-familiar faces including my friend Joe Lo Truglio as a moronic high school teacher.

I've heard good things about it from a couple of friends. Haven't managed to see it yet, though.

Isaacism, 2009
marantzo
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
I reviewed Pineapple Express many month ago. I gave it a very thumbs up review. It may not have been a long review, I don't seem to be doing that in the last year or so. But I know that I wrote that the car chase scene was the funniest I've ever seen. I didn't want it to end.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Interesting side note: Pineapple Express was directed by David Gordon Green, an indie hero for such films as George Washington and All the Right Girls, serious evocations of youth and angst and all that stuff. He's arguably slumming with the druggie comedy of Pineapple Express, and yet comes off with flying colors. (IMHO Pineapple is better than George Washington and much better than All the Right Girls, which I detested.)

Meanwhile, the A-list director Marc Forster (Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland) directs an action flick, the James Bond Quantum of Solace, and makes a fiasco of it. (It's one of the two or three worst James Bond movies in history.)

Funny how one eminent director shows his versatility with an action comedy, and another uses the same sort of material to show how distressingly limited he is. Viva Green! Down with Forster!
yambu
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I thought Apocalypto was a singular piece of bravura film making. Yes, the plot managed to be both simple and contrived, but one has to admire Mel Gibson's vision and independence of thought.
I just watched it. You have it right, on all points. The plot is contrived, but it is an epic, after all, in the literary sense. It's the indominability of the human spirit all over again, but there is no better subject when it's handled right.

There are scenes that will live forever in me. I dreamed of jaguars last night.
gromit
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
That would be indomitability.
As in The Indomitable Lions of Cameroon.

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
http://www.thirdeyefilm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=149474&highlight=apocalypto+perth#149474

I wrote his review of Apocalypto about a year ago. Be warned its fairly rambling and digressive.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
yambu
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
A wonderful review, Jer. Thanks for repeating it.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Meanwhile, the A-list director Marc Forster (Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland) directs an action flick, the James Bond Quantum of Solace, and makes a fiasco of it. (It's one of the two or three worst James Bond movies in history.)

When this movie was being discussed, I thought you said you hadn't seen it yet. Did you post a review I missed? Is this all you plan to say?

As an on-again, off again Bond viewer who enjoys what you have to say, I ask that you direct me to your post if I missed it.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe--Saw it Friday--or half of it anyway. My verrrry short review is posted on Couch (I quoted it and reposted it just now).
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Just checked out your mini-review. Thanks.

-Topher