Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Election 2008

seagull
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
I think we're talking about how, during a time of defense cuts, people say that the CIA got into selling drugs (some say they still are in it). the reason for the "war on drugs" is primarily anti competitive. The CIA doesn't want others undercutting prices of their columbian afghan and golden triangle drug operations. to this end, they criminalize competitive mexican, south american and asian suppliers repeatedly. They also criminalize "crack" cocaine while vigorously pushing powder.

Marijuana is illegal, according to some , because the CIA cant afford to lose customers to grass.

Last edited by seagull on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
mo_flixx wrote:
I can't remember radio commentator Thom Hartmann's exact line about Libertarians but it's something like "they're Republicans who want to smoke pot." Meaning...no gov't. interference but want all the goodies like drugs and sex.
About right, from my experience if not Lady W's. Most Libretarians I know of want less government regulation for business only, and the ability to indulge in specific personal conduct, but have an actual antipathy to the parallel freedoms of others.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
jeremy wrote:

I see Karl Rove is trying to claim some credit for the success of the Democrats campaign, suggesting that they have copied many of his methods. I think he flatters himself. Whereas this time out the Democrats have built a genuine broad-based coalition for change , Karl Rove’s main tactic was to demonise and smear the opposition. He succeeded in getting the white working class to vote against their own interests out of fear.

Rove’s true legacy is a shrinking and nasty support base that chants ill-thought out mantras that are often code for prejudice. The Republican Party no longer has any intellectual credo or credibility. It has pandered to the social conservatives and his now mired in their politics. The neocon and libertarians wings of the party must feel ill at ease now.

They're actually flattering Lee Atwater, Jeremy. You might find it interesting to see who originated the Rove tactics and taught them to him: Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story: http://ferdyonfilms.com/2008/10/ciff-2008-boogie-man-the-lee-a.php

Last edited by Marilyn on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
There's no greater, and more harmful, government interference in the market economy than with regard to drugs. I wonder if President Obama will wade in to the Drug War debate. Probably better as a second term matter, but the percent of people we have locked up for non-violent crimes, plus the violence created by Drug Prohibition, are extreme and barely civilized. Prohibition was a failure in the 20's and led to an era of lawlessness, and Prohibition has been a failure for the last 25 years leading to high crime rates and lawlessness.

"Obama and Biden will give first-time, non-violent offenders a chance to serve their sentence, where appropriate, in the type of drug rehabilitation programs that have proven to work better than a prison term in changing bad behavior."
----from that 80-something page "Obama-Biden Blueprint for Change" PDF that you can download on his website.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I heard that the last of Taos County's absentee ballots were mailed today. This means a very short turn-around for voters to get ballots in by the deadline. Not only that, but mailed-in ballots require three 42 cent stamps! How many people are going to pay attention to _that_ particular detail?

I think this problem IS being addressed by the local Obama campaign but it is draining resources from canvassing and other vital activities.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
In Canada, Trudeau appointed an investigative body to study the laws pertaining to drugs. A Crown Commission is what that is called here. I think it took about two years to produce it's findings. It recommended decriminalization of marijuana as one of it's findings. Well we are still waiting, though simple possession is pretty well ignored. And of course the moral anti-fun crew keep saying that there has to be more study on the effects of grass. This in spite of it being used for thousands of years and studied extensively. They used this ridiculous argument when they tried to stop the legalization of medical marijuana. They didn't win that argument, but the implementation of that policy has been a mess created by the government. Of course one can't expect the fundamentalist fascist who are now in power to do anything about it. They are pro-life but can't do anything about it because the voters would throw them out if they did, but they are pro-pain if it means taking pot to stop the pain.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else remember the "Are you Jackie or Ethel" line in the movie "R.F.K.?"

Now there's are you Sarah or are you Cindy? Do you wear leather or silk? Check out the URL below for a look at Cindy's wardrobe. BTW if you look at the entire slideshow, you will see a photo of the adopted daughter from Bangladesh.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/26/cindy-mccain-slideshow-fo_n_124350.html
seagull
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
road to sixty

Alaska minnesotta, North carolina, Oregon, NH Co,New Mexico, VA and....GA? MS?

They need one more plus Joe liberman's vote.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:

"Obama and Biden will give first-time, non-violent offenders a chance to serve their sentence, where appropriate, in the type of drug rehabilitation programs that have proven to work better than a prison term in changing bad behavior."
----from that 80-something page "Obama-Biden Blueprint for Change" PDF that you can download on his website.

Thanks. I guess minor incremental steps towards a more sane policy is about all that can be expected. I'm still wondering why smoking hash or snorting coke is "bad behavior" or criminal.

Obama, should he win, will be our first confirmed coke-snorting president. W was always rumored to have snorted but would never directly respond (maybe he was always to drunk to remember).

So we'll eventually get a Supreme who snorted. Wonder if we'll get a Prez who took heroin or acid. Hard to imagine, but we forgive those youthful indiscretions and the acceptable boundary keeps expanding. Probably more likely to get a prez who tried ecstasy or another more modern drug.

Last edited by gromit on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
sebadoh! I miss you, bro.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
What does sebadoh mean?
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
mo_flixx wrote:
I heard that the last of Taos County's absentee ballots were mailed today. This means a very short turn-around for voters to get ballots in by the deadline. Not only that, but mailed-in ballots require three 42 cent stamps! How many people are going to pay attention to _that_ particular detail?

I think this problem IS being addressed by the local Obama campaign but it is draining resources from canvassing and other vital activities.

They're still trying to complete all the registrations here - they've had record numbers, even since Labor Day, and some of the county registrars are open round the clock getting everyone on the books.

We don't have early voting, so it hasn't interfered with voting. Yet.

gromit
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens was convicted of seven corruption charges Monday in a trial that threatened to end the 40-year career of Alaska's political patriarch in disgrace.

The verdict, coming barely a week before Election Day, increased Stevens' difficulty in winning what already was a difficult race against Democratic challenger Mark Begich. Democrats hope to seize the once reliably Republican seat as part of their bid for a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

Stevens, 84, was convicted of all the felony charges he faced of lying about free home renovations and other gifts from a wealthy oil contractor. Jurors began deliberating last week.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I knew he had been around for a long time, but didn't realize that he was 84. Good chance for the Dems to steal a Seante seat in Alaska.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I move we rename Ted Stevens International Airport the Palindrome.

Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
A couple of friends told me that early voting in Taos took 1/2 hour last week at the out-of-the-way polling place. Not so bad, I guess.

The Clerk who's running (unopposed) for Re-Election was there. Now GARY, do you know - we all agreed she shouldn't have been there. Isn't that a violation of campaigning w/in 100 ft. of a polling place?