Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Stephen Frears

lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
mo_flixx wrote:
Sounds good, Lady. I'm interested tho' I've seen a fair number of the films - but long ago.

I read in USA TODAY that the second box of FORBIDDEN CINEMA is out. I don't know if this is a doc. or what.

No, it has The Divorcees, A Free Soul, Three on a Match, Female, and - my person favorite - Night Nurse.

I wonder if pre-code is the precursor to the whole reformatory school girls genre. *lol*

whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
lady wakasa wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
Sounds good, Lady. I'm interested tho' I've seen a fair number of the films - but long ago.

I read in USA TODAY that the second box of FORBIDDEN CINEMA is out. I don't know if this is a doc. or what.

No, it has The Divorcees, A Free Soul, Three on a Match, Female, and - my person favorite - Night Nurse.

I wonder if pre-code is the precursor to the whole reformatory school girls genre. *lol*
Night Nurse was on AMC the other night.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
i certainly don't have any problem with pre-code films (altho this is a bit of a misnomer as applied to the films listed...the code was adopted in 1930 but not really enforced until 1934)...

but why split hairs? i've seen most of the films on lady w's list (actually NIGHT NURSE was on TCM last week) tho, like mo, it's been several years. but they do pop up fairly regularly on TCM...

i think it was shannon who lobbied for a john woo forum way back when so you might want to apply to him. i'm not a particular fan of woo or hong kong cinema in general but, hey, i'm renowned for my flexibility...

i'm, frankly, more inclined to the decade by decade approach and i would dearly love a cassavettes forum...

the important thing is to reach a quick consensus and then get the moderator to initiate it...no easy task either way...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #152----and they just keep piling up...

Last edited by bocce on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Gong Li's husband is a wealthy Singaporean tobacco exec. Believe they are separated.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
i certainly don't have any problem with pre-code films (altho this is a bit of a misnomer as applied to the films listed...the code was adopted in 1930 but not really enforced until 1934)...

but why split hairs? i've seen most of the films on lady w's list (actually NIGHT NURSE was on TCM last week) tho, like mo, it's been several years. but they do pop up fairly regularly on TCM...

i think it was shannon who lobbied for a john woo forum way back when so you might want to apply to him. i'm not a particular fan of woo or hong kong cinema in general but, hey, i'm renowned for my flexibility...

i'm, frankly, more inclined to the decade by decade approach and i would dearly love a cassavettes forum...

the important thing is to reach a quick consensus and then get the moderator to initiate it...no easy task either way...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #152----and they just keep piling up...

What do you think of concentrating on a Hollywood studio?
Marj
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

I don't know. But I like your choices. *wink* Of course we'd have to add some Busby Berkley and the original King Kong.

The way I see this kind of forum is to really look at these films and watch them for the same reasons TCM concentrated on them the other night.

I just got an email from TCM. If I can, I'll copy and post it.
bocce
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:

i like it.... warners had their style...MGM theirs. united artists had a very specific programme...universal...who knows???

even the later studios like miramax have interest...yeah, i could go for that...

------------------------------------------------------

post # 156----and they just keep piling up...

Last edited by bocce on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
lady wakasa wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

That's The Divorcee singular with Norma Shearer. I have a review of it in the film review archive.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

i like it.... warners had their style...MGM theirs. united artists had a very specific programme...universal...who knows???

even the later studios like miramax have interest...yeah, i could go for that...

------------------------------------------------------

post # 156----and they just keep piling up...

Miramax is too late. One nice thing about looking at the studios during the Golden Age of Hollywood is to examine the crafts (set, costume design, etc.) and see the consistency of the work of the various department heads which really helped give each studio its cache'.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
As the esteemed moderator of the Noir forum of past years, I would like to suggest a topic for this new forum. "Movies that appeal to men and make women puke. Movies that appeal to women and make men lose all respect for them because of it."
bocce
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
how quickly you forget...

we have several proposals on the table to replace this specialty forum (which has had more post on this very matter in one week than in all of 2007). why can't y'all focus for a moment and come up with a consensus topic???

okay. i like THE STUDIOS AND THE SYSTEM...

post #160---and they just keep piling up...
lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
bocce wrote:
okay. i like THE STUDIOS AND THE SYSTEM...

I'm fine with that. But I'm going to move this to the lobby, because I know there are people who haven't been in this forum to see any of this discussion.

Nancy
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

Don't forget Mongram and PRC.

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
bocce wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

And RKO.
Syd
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
mo_flixx wrote:
Nancy wrote:
bocce wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:

And RKO.

And Ealing. Best known for a series of Alec Guinness comedies. But also recent films: * An Ideal Husband (1999)
* Notting Hill (1999)
* Lucky Break (2001)
* The Importance of Being Earnest (2002)
* Shaun of the Dead (2004)
* Valiant (2005)
* I Want Candy (2007)
* St Trinian's (2007)
I've seen four of those.